Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 223.

• Market Overhaul

Hans A. Pils - - News

Hey @nemuritor98, thanks for your response concerning measures against multi-accounting. But... that was clear to me (except for the second way... didn't know there's also a way to automatically detect and shut down some of the multi-accounts). Of course you're right that also with the new list showing players with a suspicious trade balance as proposed by me, still a manual check and action by a member of the Support staff would be required (you're right that only a human brain can distinguish …

• Espionage Price Changes - Patch Notes

Hans A. Pils - - News

About trading of units, Bytro had a good reason to remove it: By abusing it, you could bypass the SBDE limit. For example assuming you have level 6 fighters and level 6 tacs. Then find somebody who trades five level 5 fighters and five level 5 tacs to you. Add these to your stack of level 6 planes and boom, you have an undefeatable terminator-stack. So removing unit trade is a bitter pill we have to swallow. However the best solution would be to change SBDE limits in a way that they count for al…

• @_Pontus_ appeal for saving the place that diplomacy had in the game describes it very well. I'd like to add that removing trade of resources outside coalitions is not so much Quote from _Pontus_: “like allowing the government to be listening to all telephone conversations in the country, because maybe they will find a wrong-doer ” - that we already had before and that was and is alright. No, it's even worse: It's like removing all landline phone connections and antenna poles for mobile phone co…

• Disband Units

Hans A. Pils - - Suggestions / Criticism

I'm convinced it's good there is no disband function in the game. It's good you're forced to plan ahead and that there's a trade-off between units that help you immediately and others that help you more on the long term (because of lower upkeep costs). If you could disband units, not only people would abuse that for disbanding damaged units (as @Spiffolo already wrote), but also to disband units you brought in a tactically bad position. That may not be possible. Also the problem you're addressin…

• @General Nightman, I agree with all of your opinions except for the resumé. Because the major bummers you mentioned (more precisely the limitations to trading resources - 10% tax on market and no more trade outside coalitions) are ten times stronger than the other changes (which are improvements indeed). Due to them, CoW isn't worth playing anymore, because they eliminated strategy and diversification of the games. The small improvements are only marginalia next to that. But well, since freezy l…

• Market Overhaul

Hans A. Pils - - News

Now that all of us (except for Mr. Surprise) have agreed the trade&market limitations ruin the game, let's make constructive proposals. Mine is the following (thanks @atreas1 for some input): 1.: Allow trade of resources between all players again. 2.: Remove the 10% tax from the market again. 3.: To fight multi accounting, add a new table to the database in which you can query for players having a suspicious trade balance with another player. Technical details of how this might look like: Column…

• Quote from Arcorian: “Price for reveal all armies will increase from 1,650 to 9,500 gold. ” This one's a great improvement; thank you for that! Now - to round this off - would also be nice if "reveal all" from regular spies at day change would become much more seldom. But that's less important. The most important step to enable players to surprise their enemies with what they have where has been done with this change .

• Market Overhaul

Hans A. Pils - - News

Now HMS Surprise's post indeed comes as a... surprise. As it's the first one praising the trade/market limitation after about 30 forum users swearing it to hell. I figure with "abusing the market" you mean you've been trading a lot? I wouldn't call being an active trader an abuse. Your statement is similar to saying "I've been abusing my skills in unit choices, diplomacy, trade, creativity and strategy to outdo everyone, so it's good this change more or less removes unit choices, diplomacy, trad…

• Market Overhaul

Hans A. Pils - - News

Quote from atreas1: “we are not talking about resources but ONLY about cash and ONLY about the capital. In the other cases the booty is determined based on the daily PRODUCTION, not on the stock. ” I thought this was about hiding your entire stock of the respective resource on the market shortly before a province of that resource type gets conquered (and of course, similarly to hide your money on the market before your capital gets conquered... but that's an even more improbable case because som…

• Market Overhaul

Hans A. Pils - - News

I have one more argument: I bet that coalition members are less likely to spend gold. Biggest gold spendings happen if a conflict gets to a personal level, in a one-against-one or one-against-many fight, don't they? I can't imagine anyone to spend a lot of gold in a coalition-versus-coalition fight(?) So since the planned change makes playing in a coalition mandatory, Bytro will earn less. Anyhow nobody will want to spend gold or even play a game that's dull as a piece of bread. So if you really…

• Market Overhaul

Hans A. Pils - - News

To make this very clear: We don't want CoW to become a no-brain game! forum.callofwar.com/index.php?…f216a97aacfd29e4860db41b3

• Market Overhaul

Hans A. Pils - - News

Exactly. The two above posts from Restrisiko and RogodeterSnowl nailed it. Let me try to explain why: Disallow trade of resources with nations outside your coalition/team and 10% tax on market: This is really terrible ! 1.: It reduces trade in the game to less than 50% of what can be seen now. It makes the game more tedious (trading was always a good pastime in between tactical movements and build orders) and limits your unit choices very much. You will know on day 1 already which units you'll r…

• Quote from atreas1: “In coalition games, it is not uncommon that one of the members does most of the fighting while the others are supporting this member in a ratio much exceeding the 10K. ” True that this is done sometimes. But I wouldn't miss it much, if that option would be gone. At least would be a tiny loss compared to the mutilation of trade as it's planned in this update. Quote from atreas1: “I completely am in favor of the stop of all other trades between players (especially the trade of…

• I have a better proposal: Remove the 10% tax from the market again and make trade of resources allowed amongst all players again... but give it a limit so one nation can only receive 10000 resources more from another nation than it gave to that nation (with rares counting as *2 and money counting as *0.2). Admittedly, multi-accounters could then still swap precious resources against less worthy resources from their dummy account to their main account, but at least no longer get all resources fro…

• Quote from freezy: “With this change [disallow trade with players outside your team/coalition] we can predict better which resources a player has available, which helps with our balancing efforts. ” Have you ever seen this from player perspective? Not only the game designer can predict better which resources a player has available. Also the players themselves can predict much better which resources they have available during that game - from beginning to the end. So they also know from the begin…

• naval battles

No, is difficult for me to accept that. When WW2 started, the accumulated fleets of GB, France, Germany and Japan consisted of 36 battleships, 129 cruisers and 445 destroyers (source weltkrieg2.de/flotten-1939/), while USA focused even much more on destroyers. CoW is very different: In most situations it's the best choice to build twice as many destroyers as battleships and no cruisers at all. That's boring and not realistic. And the reason is that destroyers in CoW have no chance against battle…

• That's even worse!! There was a time (in Supremacy1914) where no coalitions existed. That made diplomacy the most important part of the game. In order to win, being a good diplomat was even more important than being a good strategist, because you had to be intelligent in order to build up alliances you can rely on. Also figuring out the relations in between the other nations and sometimes trying to modify them was very challenging, diversified and suspenseful. Espionage was important and excitin…

• Quote from WayneBo: “The only 'trades' allowed are relations. ” Hmm, that's a totally different story, then; sorry for my last post. But it still leaves me puzzled: freezy wrote "parts of these features" were still in the game. What are these parts? Who can trade what? I'm sorry I still have to ask - I still didn't get my frontpioneer status back.

• 10% tax: Do I get it right you now have to pay 10% tax if placing an offer on the market (currently trying to get frontpioneer status back, so I have to ask)? But not in direct trades with another player, yeah? That would be extremely bad. I always considered games with an active market to be more fun. And what I read from others, I think everyone agrees to that... except for those who don't use the market anyway. The tax would lead to the market being less used. Very negative change. * Makes it…

• naval battles

There is no inconsistency. What I said is that the defense value of ships cannot be imagined the same way as for land units (like the ability to hold ground against an approaching enemy). Instead it represents the combat strength at short range, which was significantly higher for destroyers than it was for battleships (of course not if comparing 1 destroyer with 1 battleship, but if comparing 6 destroyers with 1 battleship, which had about the same costs in reality). Quote from f118: “if battle …