What do you look for in a song?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What do you look for in a song?

What are the specific elements that you look for in a song/band/album?
      I have my own peronal list of 'rules' that I look for in a song/band/album.

For me I like to have first of all, a fast driving tempo that makes the song feel like it's going somewhere. I'm a big fan of psychedelia but the big problem I find a lot of bands in that genre, just do what Roger Waters describes as 'Pyschedelic' noodling, cannot stand this aimless floating around that bands like Tame Impala do, especially on their latest album where on a lot of songs, they feel like they're going to go somewhere, but they end up pulling out too early and leaving you feeling disappointed. It's a similar disappointment to being with a one night stand who's all talk, but when it comes down to it, they're pretty disappointing. Contrast them with Ty Segall and I feel that all of his creations never disappoint.

I also like novelty, as explained previously, I go for stuff with strong driving rhythms, so you're probably assuming then that I like metal. I am initially attracted to it but then I get bored with metal pretty quickly, as I find so much of it doesn't really sound distinctive or have much novelty value.
      Talking of novelty value, I'm a big fan of all things Joe Meek. Telstar is one of my all time favourite songs, purely from how novel it sounds.

I'm also a sucker for anything Blues derived and my rule about finding metal boring can be easily overridden if a particular band has used a couple of Blues riffs in their music.

Lastly and this is the most important rule, the song has to feature lots of guitar, for example I much prefer Radioheads The bends album, compared to later offerings like Amnesiac, becuase of all the big ballsy guitar. Although they're some exceptions to this rule, for example I really like Kraftwerk but that's becuase their songs often fall in line with my second rule of sounding novel and distinctive. Although I do also really like some Synth based stuff, I really like Gary Numan for example.
      Tags: ringtones downloads free, tai nhac chuong kinh di hay, bollywood ringtones free

The post was edited 1 time, last by adamjohnson ().

• Music is art, there is no right or wrong just what you prefer. I don't have to maintain a set of rules because my ears take care of that for me. If they don't like the way it sounds my ears tell my brain that it sucks.
      "It is even better to act quickly and err than to hesitate until the time of action is past." - Karl Von Clausewitz