Cruisers inefective

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Cruisers inefective

In game 1070133, I've had my first cruiser bombarding the one enemy infantry unit in Copenhagen for nearly 24 hours now. The unit was not killed, but only brought down to 49% morale. This seems to me to be unaccountably feeble.
      As I'd rather not wait another 24 hours to kill the unit entirely, I'm going to be testing how the cruiser fares against a troop transport boat.
    • narf0708 wrote:

In game 1070133, I've had my first cruiser bombarding the one enemy infantry unit in Copenhagen for nearly 24 hours now. The unit was not killed, but only brought down to 49% morale. This seems to me to be unaccountably feeble.
      As I'd rather not wait another 24 hours to kill the unit entirely, I'm going to be testing how the cruiser fares against a troop transport boat.
      I think this is good. Cruisers cannot destroy land units in general. You are thinking like you are playing s1914 which is stupid when it comes to this. Plus the cruiser would run out of ammo after 24 hours anyway and not be able to bombard for days on end without replenishment.
    • Akulla3D wrote:

narf0708 wrote:

I think this is good. Cruisers cannot destroy land units in general. You are thinking like you are playing s1914 which is stupid when it comes to this. Plus the cruiser would run out of ammo after 24 hours anyway and not be able to bombard for days on end without replenishment.
      I think that they must have a little better firepower, or build vessels will be useless since there are no comercial routes to keep. I wouldn't research and build ships just to use them 1 or 2 times in a disembark.
      O beijo, amigo, é a véspera do escarro,
      A mão que afaga é a mesma que apedreja.
    • Wilhelm von Roos wrote:

Akulla3D wrote:

narf0708 wrote:

I think that they must have a little better firepower, or build vessels will be useless since there are no comercial routes to keep. I wouldn't research and build ships just to use them 1 or 2 times in a disembark.
      The only time Naval units were used in land campaigns were during the initial invasions of land. They were not used to bombard some random place for days on end. The only real Naval units that were effective during this war (Atlantic), were subs and destroyers the rest just kind of sat around waiting to be sunk my subs or in the case of the Pacific Air craft carriers or Air craft. I think that Air craft will be more important in this game, and if you stick some crusier off the coast of some random land tile it will be sunk be air craft in no time.
    • If cruisers can't destroy even one measly infantry unit within a reasonable amount of time(and higher levels won't solve anything. L1 cruisers and infantry really should have the same strength ratio as max level cruisers and infantry), they're entirely useless for defending during a beach landing, and therefore are entirely useless in this game in general.
    • narf0708 wrote:

If cruisers can't destroy even one measly infantry unit within a reasonable amount of time(and higher levels won't solve anything. L1 cruisers and infantry really should have the same strength ratio as max level cruisers and infantry), they're entirely useless for defending during a beach landing, and therefore are entirely useless in this game in general.
      I agree. Cruisers must at least be able to destroy some units in a reasonable time. By the way, a lot of coastal cities are out of their range, so they wouldn't be dangerous with a bigger firepower.

This game isn't supposed to be a copy of the real war, so for balance reasons, the naval units need to be efficient against the land ones.
      O beijo, amigo, é a véspera do escarro,
      A mão que afaga é a mesma que apedreja.
    • Hey Neph, heres a fun fact!

• Cruisers supplied amphibious gunfire support to land forces at the start of wars until the more operationally expensive battleships could be reactivated
      Got this from one of my reliable sources. If they were not used for this, what were they for? Hmmm?Hmmm?

Forum ArmyField Marshall :00000441:

Mess with the Bill, you get the scorn!

• Currently cruisers are designed to be a versatile unit against other naval units, but ineffective against land units. Battleships can take the role you expected (bombarding cities).
      Cruisers can still support landing operations by 'shielding' damage from disembarking land units.

Ships seem weak against land units in general, but they are also hard to destroy by land units (including artillery). So the only alternative to naval units to control the seas are naval bombers.

That said, we will still increase the land-damage of sea units a bit (probably by 50-100%).
    • My cruiser supported my landing well...at its current strength.

Too many of you are reliant on the battleships of s1914, this ISNT s1914 ;)

Also, cruisers in WWII were most commonly use to protect the bigger ships, especially from air attack.