Blockade Mechanic

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Blockade Mechanic

I believe there should be a blockade mechanic in this game, as it is a strategy that has been used throughout historic conflicts with naval forces across the world. For example, the Union in the U.S. Civil War managed to severely hurt the South financially and also economically by cutting off trade between themselves and the rest of the world by forming a blockade in the Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic. I believe there would be much more strategy added to the navy if this feature was incorporated.

P.S. - If this was already mentioned, I just wanted to bring this idea back to light and perhaps draw in new views and ideas on the matter. I give credit to those who have already mentioned this, as this idea was likely mentioned beforehand.

The post was edited 2 times, last by IISpikeII: Removed sanction aspect, because it's essentially an embargo. ().

• A blockade that stops the player from getting resources from the stock market would work.Unless they want to spend
      2,500 gold mark for 5,000 of a resource.

Sanctions would allow the player to not trade certain products. For example, I place sanctions on Germany to not trade iron, wheat and rare materials but we can still trade oil. Embargoes just shut down all trade.Sanctions would allow players to be more flexible in their choices to halt trade with someone.

If Trump wins

"What is Aleppo?"
    • Good for RP, normal games? Not so much unless it's between friends or alliance match. If you really want your idea to come true than the only realistic move the devs will make is to make this exclusive...

And yes there is already the blockade suggestion...and yes it fail
      There is also the supply line suggestion and everyone agreed, so the blockade idea is possible, yay

And I will say it again this feature is exclusive, that's it
      "Victory needs no explenation, defeat allows none"
      -imperium thought of the day
    • Its important to note blockades are an expensive option for the aggressor as well, in order to be successful it requires a sizable force other wise the defender will be able to break out, or even worse hit it from behind with a larger naval group and pin it against the coast it was blockading or destroy the blockaders outright. Its a pretty complex situation that has a lot of ways to backfire.
    • Iron Guard24 wrote:

Its important to note blockades are an expensive option for the aggressor as well, in order to be successful it requires a sizable force other wise the defender will be able to break out, or even worse hit it from behind with a larger naval group and pin it against the coast it was blockading or destroy the blockaders outright. Its a pretty complex situation that has a lot of ways to backfire.
      Exactly, so it adds much more depth and strategy to using your navy wisely.
    • Butter Ball Bill wrote:

Why would blockade them when you could just conquer them?
      Because if your armies are at a stalemate (much like what happened between my country Spain and Libya), I'd setup a naval barrier around their coast if they tried to attack my mainland or my ally Italy. It was very effective, as it managed to hold off his fleet and allow me to focus inland. However it would've been even better if he was affected economically, because he had plenty of resources he could trade and use in order to make more troops.
    • It seems like it is too much trouble, it is easier just to make a couple of big flotilla's, hunt down his ships then bombard the coast while you use tac bombers to rain Hell. I wouldn't use the feature myself and I know a lot of other people wouldn't as well. From my experience, people seem to build small fleets so a blockade would not be used much.

Forum ArmyField Marshall :00000441:

Mess with the Bill, you get the scorn!

It seems like it is too much trouble, it is easier just to make a couple of big flotilla's, hunt down his ships then bombard the coast while you use tac bombers to rain Hell. I wouldn't use the feature myself and I know a lot of other people wouldn't as well. From my experience, people seem to build small fleets so a blockade would not be used much.
      People build small fleets because they have no other meaning other than to bombard coasts. This is exactly my point, people would put more attention and effort into building a navy because they can cripple a country's economy by blockading them.

I build big fleets, trust me on this one. They don't need another feature. Give me an example from WWII and only WWII where a country was blockaded with a fleet and the blockade was successful.
      The German U-Boats made somewhat of a blockade in the Atlantic, managing to cripple or even cutoff supply routes from the west to places like Britain, who would've fallen apart had the U.S. not joined in and helped destroy the U-Boats. Even though it wasn't a success, it managed to slow the Allies' victory.
    • I asked for a success, that wasn't a success. It was nearly a success, just like Arnhem, but it wasn't. So, just like Arnhem for paratroopers, I will not take a near success as a reason to roll over for something to be put in this game.

Forum ArmyField Marshall :00000441:

Mess with the Bill, you get the scorn!

I asked for a success, that wasn't a success. It was nearly a success, just like Arnhem, but it wasn't. So, just like Arnhem for paratroopers, I will not take a near success as a reason to roll over for something to be put in this game.
      I appreciate your opinion, but let's remember you're not the dev here, and you don't speak on behalf of all players.

Why would blockade them when you could just conquer them?
      Blockading them would be the first step of conquering them , indeed. When your enemy cannot trade from the stock market , that is a big advantage

Without resources , you will have hard time replacing dead troops

The very first purpose of navies was to protect maritime trade ( a pivot to any economy) so why not prevent trade from stock market, especially in the early stages trading from stock market is necessary for quick and appropriate buildup of economy/military especially on the larger maps
    • Technically you can set up Blockades in the game already at certain areas such as the Straight of Gibraltar, Istanbul, and in the Baltic Sea area, control both sides, station some troops in both, put artillery in a place it covers the sea *in a fort if possible to absorb return fire, and put a fleet nearby, and have aircraft patrol for subs *having your own subs in the area would be nice also*. Anyone who is at war or trade embargo with you tries to cross they get stopped. Sealing the path to and from a minor sea controls the flow of naval battles if you do it right with adequate planning.