Experiments in Nuclear War

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Experiments in Nuclear War

Been wondering for a while if Nukes were worth the effort. Had a friend of mine attack an army of mine to get some idea of damage per explosion. He used the first level nuke bomber.

See my 3 links.

Overall damage from two attacks on one army was just over 50%, plus damage to province which I didn't include here as target was army. Considering each plane/missile is a one time attack not sure if its worth investing into unless it is a very long game.

Comments? Personal experience?

Original Army
      After first Attack
      After second Attack
    • I normally don't use them because my blitzkrieg tactics overrun the enemy before I can launch anything. I normally have then in reserve in case somebody attacks me by surprise, and I launch 1 of the nuclear rockets and warn them I have more, and then they back off. It affects other players psychologically more than anything else. However, if a big enemy force is still and it's a bit of a pain in the ass, launch it and it can do some damage. However, I prefer using tac bombers and ships to bomb an enemy force.
      The past is a foreign country.
    • I think nukes are used to destroy a cities ability to contribute to the war effort, just like Hiroshima and Nagasaki, both were stratigic targets.

Destroy the industry, decrease morale thus decrease resource income, and damage buildings the city or province will be useless for a time being.
      "Victory needs no explenation, defeat allows none"
      -imperium thought of the day
    • Indeed in my first game I finished a while ago I ended the last phases of the game by dropping a nuke on one of my enemies major cities each day to cripple their ability to make an effective defense force, since they neglected to build up their colonies with industry I only had a few targets to hit in their core regions, my first nuclear test was on their only major shipbuilding area where they were spitting out battleships, and in 1 hit the damage I did would have take a week to rebuild, quite a fair trade off of resources on the nuke for damage done.
    • I also conducted similar tests. in one test I had a small anomaly. I did not make pictures, but all of the results I recorded

Source Code

1. number\type\loss\moral\result
      2. -
      3. 1 hit
      4. -
      5. 3 armcar1 -1(-33%) -36% -58%
      6. 1 armcar2 -1(-100%) -100%
      7. 4 ltank -3(-75%) -30% -82,5%
      8. 24 mtank -12(-50%) -7% -53,5%
      9. 7 htank -3(-42%) -6% -45,5%
      10. 5 antitank -4(-80%) -30% -86%
      11. 4 aa1 -3(-75%) -30% -82,5%
      12. 1 aa2 -0(-0) -70% -70%
      13. 1 inf1 -0(-0) -74% -74%
      14. 25 inf3 -16(-64%) -9% -67%
      15. 1 polic -0(-0) -90% -90%
      16. 6 railgun -3(-50%) -27% -63,5%
      17. 4 rocket -4(-100%) -100%
      18. -
      19. 2 hit
      20. -
      21. 2 armcar1 -1(-50%) -35% -67,5%
      22. 1 ltank -0(-0) -10% -10%
      23. 12 mtank -6(-50%) -6%
      24. 4 htank -1(-25%) -26%
      25. 1 antitank -0(-0) -60%
      26. 1 aa1 -0(-0) -60%
      27. 1 aa2 -1(-100%)
      28. 1 inf1 -1(-100%)
      29. 9 inf3 -5(-55%) -6%
      30. 1 polic -1(-100%)
      31. 3 ruilgun -2(-66%) +7% O_o
      Display All
      railway gun after the nuclear attack has increased the morale at +7

The post was edited 2 times, last by Sandevot ().

• V1nd1cat0r wrote:

just like Hiroshima and Nagasaki, both were stratigic targets.
      Wrong. The U.S. launched the bombs because they wanted to show Japan their weapon superiority and wanted to decrease moral. They dropped the atomic bombs there because they wee middle-sized cities. Even after the bombs, Japan refused to surrender. Japan only surrendered when the USSR joined the war against them and when the U.S threatened to drop the bomb on Tokyo.
    • I think you're both right. For the use of the bomb was not just one specific purpose, there were several reasons. Today there are no information that it was the final cause of Japan's surrender. But I think that this is unrelated to the this topic
    • Pablo22510 wrote:

V1nd1cat0r wrote:

just like Hiroshima and Nagasaki, both were stratigic targets.
      Wrong. The U.S. launched the bombs because they wanted to show Japan their weapon superiority and wanted to decrease moral. They dropped the atomic bombs there because they wee middle-sized cities. Even after the bombs, Japan refused to surrender. Japan only surrendered when the USSR joined the war against them and when the U.S threatened to drop the bomb on Tokyo.

Actually the USSR was already at war with them and fought them in Northern China, some the veteran USSR troops from that campaign were sent to Stalingrad in the secret troop buildup to cut off the German army.
    • Iron Guard24 wrote:

Actually the USSR was already at war with them and fought them in Northern China, some the veteran USSR troops from that campaign were sent to Stalingrad in the secret troop buildup to cut off the German army.
      I think you're talking about the Khalkin Gol affair. That was a conflict, yes, but after that Soviet-Japanese relations got better. They were at peace again. Then, in August 1945, the USSR declares war on Japan again.
    • Iron Guard24 wrote:

I heard they never signed a peace treaty. so it is true then?
      Yes. When Japan surrendered, she accepted all the conditions of the winners. It was the "unconditional surrender", in other words surrender "without discussing the conditions." But later, when the time came to sign a peace treaty with Russia - Japan (probably under pressure from the United States) show your Russian peace treaty only on the condition return territory of the South Kuril Islands, which were lost by Japan during the war. Without these conditions, Japan has refused to sign a peace treaty, in spite of all the efforts of Russia.