Coup d'état! People massively leaving games after the first few days

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Coup d'état! People massively leaving games after the first few days

I have started my third game and for the third time the same happened: after only 3-4 days, about 10 people have already abandoned the game. "Coup d'état!" announced the newspaper. "XYZ, the leader of country XXX has disregarded his duties"... etc.

And below: "There are only 2 [or 3] players left in this game. If all players agree to retire, the game will end"... etc.

The first question is: why start a game in the first place, if you have no intention of playing it? It is disrespectful of the other players. Not like they are left with no army or have lost most of their provinces.

The second question is: since this is happening in each and every game so far (100%) as I have experienced, what are you intending to do. Another player I know from Supremacy has experienced the same thing. His theory was: the game is new, so people are starting a game to see if they will like it and they discover they don't like the game and will never play it again in the future. So, in the future only the true players will remain. If it is the case, when will this happen? In a week? A month? Six months? Two years?

He suggested that if it continues like this, we would have to find trustable people and only play with them in the future!

Here is a suggestion

Every time a player would leave a game before being left with X (4?) provinces or less OR before being left with less than 10 military units, a note will be added to the player's profile. Something like % of games left prematurely.

When starting a new game, the creator could setup a parameter like Maximum % of games left prematurely accepted to play this game (like max. 3%).

I have seen this in several on-line games:

• In a virtual hockey simulator, you have "reputation points". Every time you leave a league before the end of the season, you lose 25 points on your reputation, which can go as low as -200 points at which point you are banished from the simulator.
      • On a known chess server, if you abort a game after it just started, it is noted by the administrator, for if this happen too often there would be a penalty applied.

There should be negative consequences for entering a game and then leaving it just after its start! You start a game, you finish it!

The post was edited 1 time, last by LeSwamp ().

• I love this idea! They have it for BF4 too so people can check out how many battles you leave and stuff when you try join an alliance. Very good idea, I completely support it. I wish I had thought of it :thumbsup:

Forum ArmyField Marshall :00000441:

Mess with the Bill, you get the scorn!

• I would not want the game to become known as "THE-GAME-WHERE-EVERYONE-IS-DESERTING-AFTER-THREE-OR-FOUR-DAYS".

That would simply kill this otherwise good game!

Once a restaurant has been identified with dirt and critters, it is very hard to bring people back, even after it has been thoroughly cleaned up...
    • This has been a problem in S1914 for some time and there is no fix implemented there. I believe most leave early because either they don't like the country they receive or have a short attention span and lose interest quick. (I don't know why you would play this game at all if you have a short attention span)

I agree that their needs to be a way of measuring drop players if for no other reason than to allow the rest of us to know who we are dealing with.

"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war"

"The best weapon against an enemy is another enemy."Friedrich Nietzsche
    • And yet people still leave games. In my present game there is just 2 of us left. The baffling part of that is the guy who was winning the game after 60+ days left??? I can not comprehend this.

Here is my idea

Perhaps as each game is started every player receives a set number of points lets say 100 for a 100 day game cycle (just a number to make a point). So if a person leaves on day 3 they would lose 97 points giving them a 3. to achieve their drop score you would divide total points from all games and divide it by total joined games. So after 5 games a player has gotten 5, 10, 5, 10, 20 points so they would have a drop score of 10. The higher a players number the more likely they are to remain in a game, thus you could set a minimum drop score for a player to join a match.

Players would not lose points for being taken out early, they would only lose points for becoming inactive in a game. Also if a player becomes inactive, but joins again they would only lose the points for the days they were gone. This would cover someone coming back.

This is just an idea that perhaps someone else can build on, but I think a score system is needed.

"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war"

"The best weapon against an enemy is another enemy."Friedrich Nietzsche
    • LeSwamp wrote:

I have started my third game and for the third time the same happened: after only 3-4 days, about 10 people have already abandoned the game. "Coup d'état!" announced the newspaper. "XYZ, the leader of country XXX has disregarded his duties"... etc.And below: "There are only 2 [or 3] players left in this game. If all players agree to retire, the game will end"... etc.The first question is: why start a game in the first place, if you have no intention of playing it....

Yesterday I registered, looked around the forums for about an hour, joined a game (thinking I'd be playing vs. AI), tried to figure out the in-game UI & etc., and was about to forget about CoW when I went to YouTube and found vids re: S1914. Then I went back to CoW with renewed awareness of things to look at. So, maybe, some people either don't get it and drop out or realize, after a few days, they really screwed up their opening actions. I could be wrong but it's possible.

I'll join any friendly game that isn't "gold-rush" dependent (I want to learn the game before I spend money in it).