How long a period studying music theory did it take you to appreciate classical?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How long a period studying music theory did it take you to appreciate classical?

I only know very basic music theory and spend most of my time listening to popular music, because when I listen to classical, I may like some of it, but I will only be listening to it as though it is popular music, (e.g. "That was a catchy tune.") and I am not capable of truly appreciating it. I cannot identify keys or particular chord progressions; things of that nature just by listening to a piece of music. I would like to be able to appreciate classical, but my guess is that I would have to spend about the amount of time learning music theory that I would a new language or a sport before I would begin to be able to appreciate it. For those of you on this forum who are capable of appreciating and evaluating classical, I'd like to know how long you've had to study music theory to appreciate classical or when you first started studying music theory.

Tags: alone song ringtone, nhạc chuông hay nhất, don't wanna know song ringtones

The post was edited 1 time, last by adamjohnson ().

• I already had an appreciation for it as I went to college for music. Now you will have to appreciate classical music as theory is taught from a classical standpoint. I went for guitar but every theory student will learn a little piano whether they play it or not as this is also part of music theory. You will have an appreciation for it if you take a second year of it, you will have no choice :)

Wait until you are full into part writing analysis, oral dictation and conducting along with mode recognition and movement progressions. You don't need to be able to identify keys or chords by ear but you will have to recognize when keys change\modulate and understand the relation ship between chords in a progression. Meaning if I give you a IV chord and then another chord after it is it higher or lower and by how many steps. It's the relations you have to hear by ear not the chords themselves :)
      "It is even better to act quickly and err than to hesitate until the time of action is past." - Karl Von Clausewitz