Fourth Sunday of Advent: Your favorite Unit?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• My favorite unit will have to be the anti tank.

Three main reasons for that:
    First, you can build it early on in the game thus you can gather a massive amount quickly.
    Second, the production time is minimal and the cost is very cheap.
    Third, most of the players like tanks and this unit creates a major problem for them, thus making them go around provinces that are guarded by that unit.
  • In my point of view, the tactical bomber is one of the most effective units in this game. I will justify this opinion by mentioning that:

Firstly, the tact. bomber is the most effective Air vs Infantry unit. When strategical bombers are quite poor in maintaining a damage effect on military units, it's important to remember that tactical bombers are quick, relatively cheap and can bombard units that cannot be reached with slow ground units.

Secondly, and rather aesthetically, in addition to the fact that high level and well-consulted tactical bombers cause huge damage which can be resultant in fight, they make the gaming experience more pleasurable. Imagine this game without quick, pugnacious planes bombarding units and patrolling cities. This irrefutably enriches battles and (or at least in my opinion) is a quite good-looking unit by itself.

To sum up, I prefer tactical bombers because they have a unique role in speeding up prolonged stalemates and generally makes this game more enjoyable.

Hope I clarified my opinion ;)
  • Mine would probably be the the Anti Tank. This is becuase it is REALLY cheap and doesn't use oil and so I have no problem with bombarding enemies with anti tank units and then bringing in Heavy Tanks. It is most effective once you have a really big country! You would have an unstoppable army! ;D
    Start using them, they are great to use for anyone who is new to this game!
    ~Silent
  • My favorite unit in CoW is... ME, the Commander in Chief. Imho, I see the game as a shell game of checks and balances. You can talk about any units great attributes, but if your opponents are building units that are strong against what you're building, you're in trouble. You have to be adaptive and malleable to win. You have to pay attention to who is active and who is not active. You have to decide where you are going to attack to earn the resources necessary for the next attack. You have to be aware of the strengths and weaknesses of the country you are playing. You have to determine the strengths and weaknesses of the other players. You have to be good at diplomacy. You have to be vigilant, watch the game, read the newspaper. You can read what other players are doing this way, and react appropriately. You can check player stats from the diplomacy tab ad tell what they are likely to build, and read their game plan. And most importantly, read everything you can about the mechanics of the game. Knowing how the game works gives you a huge advantage. For example, I played for months before I knew that if you offer right of way to AI countries, within about a day they will grant you right of way as well. Now you can use their airfields, or move scout troops into their land. What a huge advantage!
  • For me its definitely tac bombers. When you finish your first blitzkrieg invasions, deploying 10 stack of tac bombers is really usefull to save loses vs pc players and human as well since every game you can catch many units without anti air, and casualties are massive. I find myself sometimes even in 1:15 ratio of casualties. If upgraded their range is quite sufficient and their mobility is just so useful.

With 10 stack of lvl 6 bombers you can send down battleship in 3 or 4 rounds. 3,5 dmg on naval is pretty good i think. I usually dont upgrade naval bombers since they are low on priority list. for me. I use them to scout from carriers and defend my harbors, but who uses naval bombers anyway, right :)

I always build on heavy defense and strategic offensive strikes with rockets, nukes or combination of some big invasion in range of nuking biggest cities , set up perimetr one province around and fire rockets and nukes - for that i also love deployin tac bombers with interceptors.If they are marching with their AA (if not SP), they are slow, so it gives strategic advantage as well, since they sometimes without SP artilery researched are not catchin up, so you can bomb cities and just march around territory with LTs or MTs together with Mech. infantry, and SP artilery, raiding enemys´factories and all kinds of infrastructures.

But bombers allways do the scouting and most of killin for me. Ooooooh, that feeling when you go scout to enemy teritory with big stack and you find some light tank stack...

If you have an air-bridge and you see enemy without AA, you can spam them at homeland, get 10 more in 1 or 2 days and in few hours they are on standby. One think sux, that you cant get them on carriers, but now i play pacific map and i am able to fly from New Zeland to Alaska and further to Mexico(theoritcaly, since right now war line is at Alaska), without need to march or send them by the sea, since our coalition controls all the islands, japan and so on. It takes 12 hours.

you can even get on the little islands in oceania.

They are cheap.

Very, very usefull, every game i try to get as many of them as i can and totally recommen to try it.
  • For me I find it hard to choose between:

1: SPAA, aside spamming far more expensive fighters yourselfs, your best bet against those tac players. and they are abundant. Use them in big stacks with various units. and laugh if some idiot attacks the stack with tac/fig combos. Easy to replace

2: TD, recently, I started to love those. They soak up huge amounts of damage, have the highest tank AA stat and combined with arties/infantry/AA those stacks are nearly invincible

3: Mech infs, for the same reason someone else mentioned. Nobody dares to build them, but if you build them, they are the true backbone of your army against LTs and even against air they do the most damage of regular ground units. Oh, and faster then LTs.

So if I had to truly pick one....Its the SPAA, because I love seeing those boring tac players cry when 6 of those babies pop up in a 25+ unit stack. Sure, with dedication the tac player wins the battle, but it will cost him far more then it costs you. Its always the first unit I research at day 16.
  • My favorite is honestly intelligence spies. With my wonderful spies, I can see where my enemy is moving troops and counter them. It gets even more fun if it's mid- or late-game and I have a whole lot of rockets that I want to get rid of. So what do I use? Spies! If a spy finds a single army that's quite large, very scary, and is locked in battle or controlled by an AI, then I can use my rockets to devastate the enemy. It gets more fun for me when they're offline and they come back on and just complain. Anyway, intelligence spies!

However, if intel spies don't count then I guess anti-tanks or light tanks. I mean, how on bloody Earth are you going to counter an army that's probably mostly Armor units, just by using a couple of infantry your country's last coward leader left you? So yeah.
  • Favorite unit? Infantry of course! They are cheap to produce, easily expendable and always loyal! Wars are won by men! Men with weapons, courage, or no other choice! Mass of infantry equipped with rifles, pitchforks or just stones is the basis of every good strong, not that nimble army! Just look to history, how well did "Nas mnogo" work for the Russians!
  • I use a lot of the units and am a proponent of combined arms with air, sea, and land units.
    my lower favorites would be the Railroadgun, and self propelled artillery.
    my ultimate favorite is the tactical bomber because of the support and speed with which it can be moved around
    and used, it is the best when there are no AA guns around
    these are the best units because of their movement speed, and ability to totally destroy there target without ever being damaged.
  • The Best Defense is a Good Offense.

TD. Give me the tank destroyers if I can have no other unit. Best at defense, but no slouch on the offensive end. Forget the light tanks and medium tanks and the too slow heavy tanks. Save your research efforts for this line.

Effective against all armor. And armored thus infantry is still weak against it. Perfect for pairing with SP-artillery and SP-AAA for a fast effective punch and counter punch against any army. Hit them at a distance and dare them to close the gap.
  • <p>My favorite unit is Anti-Tank, because it is the best defense unit to have in the army, it is practical and easy to do, since it only needs an industrial complex, and to attack, just use other units, there you put it Back to when to dominate the province already have a good defense. With this unit I survived many attacks until the beginning of the game, even being attacked cowardly, as it destroys the armored units, and is also good against infantry.</p>
  • I believe that the "tactical bombers" are the best overall unit in the game. Here is my reasoning;

Nothing beats "tac" bombers for knocking the wind out of a stack of units. In one sortie, a tactical bomber pass can not only do significant damage to all units stacked in the target area, but it also "breaks up" or disperses that big fatty stack of enemies you were wondering how to handle. Bet you noticed that when the big stack breaks up, only a portion of that stack will normally be still attacking you. (If indeed, you had a unit in combat prior to the bomber attack hitting that unit.)
    In addition to breaking up large enemy formations, I have found that if your bombers are attacking an enemy formation that is not currently in combat with your forces, say in a fortified "Bunkered" city, many of the enemy units that were in that big stack inside the fortification will leave that safety, take to the road, and come attack your nearest ground units. When those enemy units leave the safety of their fortifications or terrain advantages, you can take them down easier.
    And finally, while I haven't actually compared the relative ground speeds precisely cause I'm lazy. I sure do know that tactical bomber units are the best option to get lots of firepower, to a precise target area, clear across a battle map in the shortest amount of time. Say you need to blunt an enemy armor penetration to buy time for ground units to form and counterattack, hit them with tac bombers baby...that will get their attention!
  • My favourite unit would be the tactical bomber.

In high numbers and upgrades, these birds can decimate almost any invading or defending enemy troops at a quick speed.
    They can also even take down convoys and ships quickly without the need of naval bombers if you have enough of them.

FInally, if you end up losing a few of those bombers, they can easily be reinforced if you have the air bases and industrial complexes for them. If you have many air bases, and high level industrial complexes, you will be able to reinforce your birds with even more planes in a matter of hours because they do not need to travel in a slow convoy as they have air bases to fly to, and the high-level industrial complexes will speed up the production by heaps!

Hydra wrote:

When one head is cut off, two more take its place

I wrote:

When one plane is shot down, many more will take its place.

Try it yourself - Stack at least 20 tactical bombers together and continuously upgrade them. You'll become unstoppable!
  • Last Man 64 wrote:

My favourite unit would be the tactical bomber.

In high numbers and upgrades, these birds can decimate almost any invading or defending enemy troops at a quick speed.
    They can also even take down convoys and ships quickly without the need of naval bombers if you have enough of them.

FInally, if you end up losing a few of those bombers, they can easily be reinforced if you have the air bases and industrial complexes for them. If you have many air bases, and high level industrial complexes, you will be able to reinforce your birds with even more planes in a matter of hours because they do not need to travel in a slow convoy as they have air bases to fly to, and the high-level industrial complexes will speed up the production by heaps!

Hydra wrote:

When one head is cut off, two more take its place

I wrote:

When one plane is shot down, many more will take its place.
    Try it yourself - Stack at least 20 tactical bombers together and continuously upgrade them. You'll become unstoppable!
    Tactical bombers stop stacking damage after 5 of them
    This player may have been reactivated in October 27th 2017
  • My favorite unit is: Gold.
    After I do the dishes and take out the trash I get my daily allowance which I use to buy gold so I can join games and insta build everything and send my stacks towards other players. Then I type lul, I steam roll you on turn 2 lul, I win
  • Yeah..... I like the tac bombers but...... One meeeeelion tac bombers still don't take a province, you still have to have boots on the ground. For that reason, I like the armored cars. No, they are not big heavy tanks that blast the pudding out of your enemy. They don't "take a lickin and keep on tickin" like the heavy armor. But upgraded to max, they are very fast little rascals! They can respond quicker than anything else on the ground.

A few stacks of eight each and a little 5 stack of tac bombers and you can take a surprising amount of territory far quicker than with anything else.

They add shock value.

Few things speak as loud as taking an entire country in one day with a butt load of fast moving armored cars. and a couple stacks of tac bombers.

Sure, the slow moving heavily armored enemy can take it back, little by little, but by then they have lost all their production, they have no moral, and what they have is all they will get.

For every one they take back, you can take three more.

I wish we had tactical sand rails in the game honestly. NO armor but blazing fast speed and a lot of firepower.
    Sure one hit would take them out...... but you still have to hit them! Hard to do that when they are twice as fast as your lumbering heavy armor....