The role of Gold: a serious problem.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• The role of Gold: a serious problem.

I just started this game a few days ago, so (disclaimer) I am not speaking as an expert on this game, but I have played enough of similar games to know what generally works better and what does not. I find this fascinating, in every sense of the word, but there is a problem with it, and it involves the tutorial, and Gold. 1st Problem: Upon my arriving, the tutorial immediately shows you all the basics of combat; then they show you how gold is! They even reward you a nice amount for completing the tutorial... then you play the game... That was the last bit of free gold I have seen so far. The problem: The tutorial gives you the impression that Gold is very important to this game. To give credit, it does make it so the tutorial goes much faster, but then upon playing for real, you realize that Gold costs real-world money, and that it is going to take time to do everything normally. The Point: There is too much dependence on Gold conveyed in the tutorial. 2nd Problem: So far, most of the players I have encountered so far have one thing in common; they aren't spending any Gold. Now, as for me, I have money, and I freely spent some on this game upon arriving and finding that Gold was the easiest way out of a bind I got in. Then the other players started leaving the game...FAST. Now I have read in the forums that this is fairly common, but I personally feel that my arrival had something to do with it. I started as France, was attacked by Germany on day one, then I used my Gold to give myself enough troops to retaliate. The result: I had taken over half of Germany by the end of day two, most of Germany by day three. When other payers see that and realize that "that guy has more money than I do", then what is the point of them continuing? Of course they're going to start leaving, because money always wins!!! The Point: when a player comes in who has money, and they spend it, this game quickly becomes unplayable for anyone who isn't spending money (or perhaps, might be a more accurate word). Possible solution: I have never like the survey idea as an alternative to earning Gold (or any game currency, for that matter). It is too slow a method when facing against guys like me who have money to spend. So I think there needs to be a method for earning Gold other than Surveys or actual money. Perhaps through winning games, but then that would be easy for money spenders anyway. In this regard, I am open to ideas, because many of you will know how this game work better than I do. So, Ideas, or other comments anyone?
    "I'd be unstoppable if it wasn't for Law Enforcement and Physics!"

-James Hylton
    "BOLDLY GOING FORWARD! ('Cause I can't find Reverse)"

"I have returned from my wilderness Exile!!!"

The post was edited 1 time, last by James Hylton ().

• Hello and welcome to CoW. I am glad you like the game so far.

Thank you for your comments.

Actually, I would not make myself feel bad for other players leaving. There have been many discussions of Gold and if it should be used, why it exists and I don´t know what else.

First of all, you can play the game, with or without gold. The choice is yours. However, if you decide to play without gold, you do not get any significant disadvantage. Yes, things may take a bit longer than normally and you might not have the option to do premium espionage, but from my experience - and I am a gold player too - the usage of gold does not make up for the lack of strategy and tactical planning. You can beat a gold player, if you use the right tactics and plan your actions carefully. It is more difficult, than beating a normal player, but it can be done. Besides, that the amount of gold used usually limits itself. Players like you and me are fine spending some money freely on the game. However, I would think twice if I am going to use 100 USD, just to get an advantage that lasts only until the map is done. Because in the end, once the map is done, all the gold spend is gone. If you spend a lot of gold the map is done faster...

I know that many people oppose the use of gold and feel it unfair. Still that should not stop you from using it. It is a main part of the game and we all know, there is no such thing as a free game. If you download an app in the app store, you either pay for it or it is free, but to get any further, you need to spend money or have to wait. It is pretty much the same. The Developers do have costs to run the game. Be it for server or staff, lincences, etc. Those need to be covered.

You will probably find a lot of people here, that will tell you using gold is bad, but you will also find a lot of players - non gold users - who see it as a challange. Others than again use gold themselves. I think it is also a matter of time. Speeding up a production or raise moral, because you don't have time to be online all day, that is what most people spend their gold on. Barely anyone uses excessive amounts of gold, to build a huge army, etc. and even such an army - if not used wisely - can be beaten.

Besides, it is a known problem, that people leave the map after a couple of days and start a new one or join a different game. There have been forum discussions about that as well. So I would see that more as a general problem, nothing that is possibly your fault. :) So I recommend you relax and enjoy the game. Use the map to practive and feel free to join any other games. As I said, you will find that there are players who enjoy the challange to play against a gold player or maybe you find some players, who use gold also. The forums can be a great place to look for people to play with!
    Saludos Cordiales, / Liebe Grüße, / Sincerely,

-= BenjB =-
  • I have played against people who i know are using gold, and let me tell you: gold means nothing against a decent strategic plan. Most people soon learn that once they've used up their gold, they end up being beaten back on all fronts.

Gold is in the game as a way for the Devs to (rightfully) make money, and for plays to 'fast track'- and trust me, when you start joining games with some of the people on this forum, people spending gold will be the least of your worries.

TL:DR- Gold means nothing against strategy, its not 'unfair'
    "If the tanks succeed, then victory follows."- H.Guderian

"Hit first ! Hit hard ! Keep on hitting ! ! (The 3 H's)" Admiral Jackie Fisher

"The 3 Requisites for Success – Ruthless, Relentless, Remorseless(The 3 R's)" Admiral Fisher

Crates: a Term used to define any unwanted and unneeded feature in CoW

Game Username: LordStark01
  • I once created a game and started as Germany. My first action was to take Luxembourg. Then, a gold player joins as France. He starts attacking me. I have to pull back. He has massive armies, but is pretty stupid tactically. He takes Munich, then goes north, and he doesn't separate his army. I take all the cities he's conquered, cutting him off. By now, I've taken Paris with a 4 regiments of infantry that I had in Luxembourg. He has no troops at all. Then, I destroy his army in Germany. In a matter of days I have reconquered my provinces and taken the whole of France. Most gold players use gold to compensate for their tactical stupidity, so you can easily beat them.
    The past is a foreign country.
  • I like gold users. I have never came across a bad one myself and I am pretty sure I came across two heavy gold users in one match. One went inactive and I was allied with the other one so we split up the inactive one. The active one was an alright strategist and had a much bigger army so I let him win with no resistance.(I came second).

Forum ArmyField Marshall :00000441:

Mess with the Bill, you get the scorn!

• Please don't tell me we all didn't just use are gold form the start to noob spam are way to A-Bombs and then drop them on a player that was half way inactive already.

I have never seen the problem with gold, i never had the chance to come across a major gm (ab)user in supremacy or this game (yet). But i can see the semi moral issue if you can call it that.

Gold is Unfair, at least for the poor and stupid. The solution reduce gold for map features and advanced orders and throw up some ads, i don't think many would care much for ads along these nice hexagon patterned sides <->

And to loosely quote someone from the supremacy thread or so:

GM stands for ' "GAME IS MINE!!!!!" as he stamps in his credit card number.'
  • Butter Ball Bill wrote:

they are just online chums.
    I should report this to your clan leader :whistling:

Pablo22510 wrote:

Butter Ball Bill wrote:

What do you think we are, barbarians? We have alliances, not clans.
    Hey, don't tell off the poor kid! He was probably thinking about his favourite game, Clash of Clans :D
    Actually I find Clash of Clans to be overrated. Anyways, you guys managed to get off-topic again just because I said "clans" instead of "alliances" lol. At least the only thing you guys hijack are threads that have somewhat of a solution to them already :P
  • People who think gold doesn't have a major influence in the game are delusional. I am fighting a guy that has been using gold since the start and he admits it. I started using bits in mid game and can't use anymore but I will tell you he is crazy. He has over 1000 units. For example, I just knocked out his reactor and airfield with rockets. But would you look at that, they spring right back up with stacks of aircraft and missiles. It is a serious problem and It is is massively putting me off from playing.
  • Austerlitzer wrote:

People who think gold doesn't have a major influence in the game are delusional. I am fighting a guy that has been using gold since the start and he admits it. I started using bits in mid game and can't use anymore but I will tell you he is crazy. He has over 1000 units. For example, I just knocked out his reactor and airfield with rockets. But would you look at that, they spring right back up with stacks of aircraft and missiles. It is a serious problem and It is is massively putting me off from playing.
    It's over 1000!
    It's been a while
  • TankBuster wrote:

I have played against people who i know are using gold, and let me tell you: gold means nothing against a decent strategic plan. Most people soon learn that once they've used up their gold, they end up being beaten back on all fronts.

Gold is in the game as a way for the Devs to (rightfully) make money, and for plays to 'fast track'- and trust me, when you start joining games with some of the people on this forum, people spending gold will be the least of your worries.

TL:DR- Gold means nothing against strategy, its not 'unfair'
    I pretty much agree. Gold is not autowin by any stretch of the imagination. However, when you combine a keen strategic mind with an initial progress boost at the very beginning that can provide you with a conquered player country consequently doubling your start up resources...and then followed up with all troop reveals at key moments...it is sort of a big deal. But if someone is terrabad, and doesnt understand how to play this game very well, no amount of gold in the world will get them the win.