Not happy with interceptor results

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Not happy with interceptor results

This has been going on for a while now. I am not at all happy about the results I'm getting from interceptors. In the latest result, I attacked a lone nav bomber with 9 interceptors in 2 waves of 5 and 4. That's a total of 90 attack factors. Result? I destroyed just 8 hitpoints, leaving the nav with a total of 17. It's a pitiful result, and is only the latest in a series of similar results. It seems that now, even flak from ground units is more effective against bombers than direct attacks from interceptors! I'm beginning to ask myself why I should bother building interceptors at all ...
    • Why did you send 5 int, againts a Nav bomber and 9 int in a stack? Of course you will lose
      And never use "wave" attack, I experience it from S1914 and i tell you it's a complete waste, never use it, and don't split your units that's just the stupidest action a player can do in CoW

Why don't you send 9 int againts 9 int in a stack, in groups of 3 for 3 "waves" that way the enemy have a value of 90 againts a pathetic attemp.

I don't know why people use "wave" attack in a game with RPG elements are you trying to be stupid?
      "Victory needs no explenation, defeat allows none"
      -imperium thought of the day
    • Mass formations will always win. Overwhelm the enemy at all times.

The above gentlemen have already told you that though.
      "If the tanks succeed, then victory follows."- H.Guderian

"Hit first ! Hit hard ! Keep on hitting ! ! (The 3 H's)" Admiral Jackie Fisher

"The 3 Requisites for Success – Ruthless, Relentless, Remorseless(The 3 R's)" Admiral Fisher

Crates: a Term used to define any unwanted and unneeded feature in CoW

Game Username: LordStark01
    • TankBuster wrote:

Mass formations will always win. Overwhelm the enemy at all times.
      However if you don't have the res to deal with the heavier casualties you will sustain by invading with a huge clump of units, then you will end up being overwhelmed by the enemy. Try to diversify your units, throw in some AA, inf, light tanks, medium tanks, and air units that bomb overhead as your main force invades. It's good to have a huge stack of diverse units, not a huge stack of just infantry and tanks.
    • If you want another way, invest in anti-air and use units that can survive the bombing, the Nav bomber deals little damage to tanks for example (implying anyone use nav Bomber on land unit) having diversity can win battles and even wars but always use unit combinations that are effective and advantageous in the situation.
    • V1nd1cat0r wrote:

Why did you send 5 int, againts a Nav bomber and 9 int in a stack? Of course you will lose
      And never use "wave" attack, I experience it from S1914 and i tell you it's a complete waste, never use it, and don't split your units that's just the stupidest action a player can do in CoW

Why don't you send 9 int againts 9 int in a stack, in groups of 3 for 3 "waves" that way the enemy have a value of 90 againts a pathetic attemp.

I don't know why people use "wave" attack in a game with RPG elements are you trying to be stupid?
      I use wave attacks for a simple reason - combat effectiveness. Air units are at maximum effectiveness in a stack of 5 units or less. If you add additional units after that, their effectiveness declines. By the time you have 10 units in a stack, their combat effectiveness is down to almost 50% - scarcely better than a stack of just 5 units. Wave attacks maximize the number of attack factors you bring to bear on the enemy.

Additionally, it's my impression that using larger stacks causes more damage to your units. For example, I attacked a stack of warships multiple times with 5 tac bombers the other day and lost no more than one tac bomber per attack. But when I combined them into a larger stack of 10 tac bombers to attack the same stack, I lost 3 tac bombers in a single attack.
    • Joe Bentleigh wrote:

I use wave attacks for a simple reason - combat effectiveness. Air units are at maximum effectiveness in a stack of 5 units or less.

For example, I attacked a stack of warships multiple times with 5 tac bombers the other day and lost no more than one tac bomber per attack. But when I combined them into a larger stack of 10 tac bombers to attack the same stack, I lost 3 tac bombers in a single attack.
      a) is that prooved information of effectiveness? i mean how great are differenses?

and yeah ihave heard about effectiveness, but i know what attack each tick mean.

Please on old haares here, dont teach new players. effectiveness is important enough to losing every tick 1 unit.

P.S. Why the hell you attack WARSHIPS with TAC BOMBERS ???????
    • f118 wrote:

Joe Bentleigh wrote:

I use wave attacks for a simple reason - combat effectiveness. Air units are at maximum effectiveness in a stack of 5 units or less.

For example, I attacked a stack of warships multiple times with 5 tac bombers the other day and lost no more than one tac bomber per attack. But when I combined them into a larger stack of 10 tac bombers to attack the same stack, I lost 3 tac bombers in a single attack.
      a) is that prooved information of effectiveness? i mean how great are differenses?
      and yeah ihave heard about effectiveness, but i know what attack each tick mean.

Please on old haares here, dont teach new players. effectiveness is important enough to losing every tick 1 unit.

P.S. Why the hell you attack WARSHIPS with TAC BOMBERS ???????
      Sorry, I found it a bit difficult to understand your English :)

I attacked warships with tac bombers because the warships were bombarding my ally's army when he was offline and my nav bombers didn't have a long enough range. It was a pretty expensive operation - I think I lost 8 tacs overall - but killed a battleship, a cruiser and 3 destroyers so it was a fair swap. I can also rebuild quickly but it takes my ally a long time to rebuild his ground units and move them to the front line.

As for "proved information", nothing is certain in this game :) However, dividing my bombers into groups of five certainly seems to kill stacks a lot quicker than using them in one great big stack. It usually only takes me two flights of three waves each to kill a stack of 8 or so units, whereas if I put them all in a big stack, it's six full flights or more.

I also seem to lose units more quickly when they are in a big stack.
    • Large stacks tend to die faster, than smaller stack, it's an observable phenomena in both S1914 and 30k.
      Smaller stack get higher effectiveness, while larger stack got higher firepower and survivability, by comparing battle stats higher stacks are more better, effectiveness although we know little about it have some effects in combat, we don't know for sure what effective is so now what?

Now that this topic come up, I decided to experiment this "unit effectiveness" in the WW2 RP we currently having.
      joe, f118 and Bill let's experiment on this matter me and joe will use "small" units while Bill and 118 use larger stacks, we should observe what will transpire and post what we found out.

sounds good?
    • Butter Ball Bill wrote:

V1nd1cat0r wrote:

V1nd1cat0r wrote:

let's experiment
      I already have. While smaller stacks die slower, it is not worth it. It takes too many runs to kill something. A job 5 tacs can do in 2-4 runs, 20 tacs can do in 1 run.
      It's more costly to put a stack of 20 tac bombers in an airbase close enough to take out your target. It's not worth the risk of losing all your units from a nuclear strike in late-game, and surely isn't worth the time and resources required to rebuild your lost units in the one raid.
    • Butter Ball Bill wrote:

I have 40 and didn't really care when I accidentally nuked some. When you get to the stage where you can build nukes, building 40 isn't a problem.
      True, but you can build nukes pretty early in the game actually, to the point where there's still plenty of other conventional warfare technologies that need some more research.