Add Land Mines to the Game!!!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Add Land Mines to the Game!!!

Should Land Mines be added in the Game!!! 26
        Yes (15) 58%
        No (11) 42%
      I had a look around and this was never suggested so i will talk about it enjoy :)

Mines should be added to this game same as Fortifications for Defence. Mines were used in WW2 in Dover and in the Battle of Normandy and much more.

Mines should be used to defend lands and will hurt only 10% to 60% of Casulties depending on levels. And 4 Infantry to disable it as some armies use dogs. It would make more use to build Infantry as no one builds them latter in the game mainly because of food.

Level 1 Land Mine 10% damage to units depending on Level higher levels better up to Call of War to decide

MAX Level 5 Land Mine 60% damage to units depending on Level higher levels better up to Call of War to decide

1 Day 15 hours building time and 2500 Rare materials 5000 Money 1000 Metal and 50 Manpower to build. It sounds like a great idea.

I hope the Call of War editors see this

The post was edited 10 times, last by Nickm ().

• imo, land mines are part of fortifications. Fixed defenses used land mines, barb wire, pill boxes, AT trenches, roadblocks etc. So they are there and you have more of them as you increase the level of your fortification. Maybe a movement penalty is needed the first time you move through a fortified territory to clear pathways or remove all the stuff the enemy put there, or perhaps a movement penalty until you repair the damaged fort. This would imply that you found all the stuff.

Just my 2 cents.
      "A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week." - General George S. Patton, Jr.

"Do, or do not. There is no try" - Yoda
    • YES!!! This is a great idea.

im a huge fan of bogging down. So you have my vote.
      +1 for mines. They are integral part of war.

Perhaps as ingame Decor ... effect of attacking another nation
      with 'fortified' status.

I get Triggered when someone disagrees and bases his argument on , " HURP DURP GERM TOO COMPREX, MAKE EARSEAR- CARR OF DURTY SYNDROMME"... "NO NERD FER GERM UPGREEEERDS".... - what im trying to say is, i like micro management, and games like these should have it.

Complex games are a challenge, and challenge is good for the brains. :)

The post was edited 1 time, last by Bionoman ().

• King Draza Mihajlovic wrote:

COW? complex game?

...call of war is anything but a hard game
      Maybe. Maybe not. In my experience, most players never master all of the existing game elements, nor learn to use the game elements they do employ to maximum advantage. That's one of the reasons why we often see some players use the tactical bombers/light tanks 24/7 strategy with great success, and why only some players seem to be able to effectively counter that simplistic strategy.

COW is obviously a simplified abstraction of real-life military technology, industrialization and strategy, but it's plenty challenging for the overwhelming majority of players.
    • Well, I think adding in land mines would be a good idea. They would provide that extra amount of protection of players like me, who play defensive, building up their armies. Most of the time, I have a large amount of high level militia, AT Guns, and (sometimes) Artillery cannons. So, adding in landmines for provinces that I can't defend would be awesome, but players should have the ability to make sapper units that can:
      • Detect Landmines
      • Plant Landmines (about 40 minutes to plant one field)
      • Render Fortifications 50% Less effective per level of the sapper.
      • Give your armies a 50% Defensive bonus per level of the sapper.
      Now, the reason the sappers should be able to do this is because they would carry Dynamite, and would be able to build make-shift fortifications. The sapper, would provide very little attack power, seeing as they would be focusing on destroying enemy assets. Now, the sappers would be digging trenches, filling sandbags, making very small fortifications.
      "ANU! CHEEKI BREEKI IV DAMKE!"
    • Again, this is a strategic level game. Landmines and "sappers" are already abstracted and can be assumed to be components of fortifications and existing land units, respectively.

At the strategic level of provinces and division level units, it is not necessary to get so fine grained as to represent individual "mine fields." And, it would be unnecessarily tedious, as well.
    • dirge wrote:

Again, this is a strategic level game. Landmines and "sappers" are already abstracted and can be assumed to be components of fortifications and existing land units, respectively.
      Exactly right.

dirge wrote:

At the strategic level of provinces and division level units, it is not necessary to get so fine grained as to represent individual "mine fields." And, it would be unnecessarily tedious, as well.
      Actually, COW's level of ground unit "granularity" is the infantry regiment (1,000+ men) or the armor brigade (600+ men, plus 100+ armored vehicles, such as tanks or armored cars). Historically, a "division" was composed of at least three or four regiments, plus several smaller specialized support units, including a separate divisional headquarters unit. Two or more divisions may be combined in a "corps," and two or more corps may be combined in a "field army." Two or more field armies may be combined to form an "army group" (the Soviets called their army groups "fronts" in WWII).

As a practical matter, this means that COW does not include ground units smaller than a regiment or brigade, such as the squad (3 to 5 men), the platoon (30 to 40 men), the company (2 or 3 platoons), and the battalion (3 or 4 companies), with 2 or 3 battalions composing a regiment. The notable exception to COW's use of the infantry regiment and armor brigade as its basic ground units is the commando battalion.

For aircraft units, the game is played on the level of squadrons (300+ men, plus 12 to 24 aircraft). Several squadrons may in turn be combined to form a "wing," and several wings combined to form a "group."

Even individual smaller warships, such as submarines, destroyers and cruisers were typically combined in "squadrons" of four or more such ships.