Mines & mine sweepers

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Mines & mine sweepers

I am sure that mines played a major role in the oceans and on land. The first part of the war in 41' and 42' the magnetic mine was responsible for more shipping losses then the U-boat, until copper was strong around merchant vessels and an electrical current sent through it. In fact the laying of mines and clearing of mines became so important all naval convoys crossing the Atlantic most have included minesweepers fitted with ASW (anti-sub weapons) or flower class corvettes. If there is any question to how important the role mines played here is a link to a wikipeda list of American minesweepers and layers; en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_…of_the_United_States_Navy keep in mind that is just USA still have many more allied and axis countries not listed. I truly believe this item should be made available for research early and cheaply, but become less effect as the game progresses. You guessed it I am ex RCN (Royal Canadian Navy) as such I had to include a painting of the HMCS Bangor class minesweeper Clayoquo sunk Christmas eve 1944.painting by Pat Burstall
    • It is a great idea but hard to put it in the game. I am reading a WW2 encyclopedia, and I am currently reading the book that talks about the German invasion of Norway. In Norwegian fjords, mines sunk many German merchant vessels. Mines were pretty important during the war, but they were mainly laid close to land, not in the middle of the ocean. It would be hard to implement because if how often would they be placed, do the ships have limitless mines, etc.
      The past is a foreign country.
    • They could work like Subs/rockets.

You can't see them (like subs) unless you have a minesweeper (like Nav. Bomber) and move the mine around (it does 0 Dam while on the move), but once you click "Set"(click the attack button to bring up prompt) it freezes the mine in place, it turns active and cannot be moved.
      "If the tanks succeed, then victory follows."- H.Guderian

"Hit first ! Hit hard ! Keep on hitting ! ! (The 3 H's)" Admiral Jackie Fisher

"The 3 Requisites for Success – Ruthless, Relentless, Remorseless(The 3 R's)" Admiral Fisher

Crates: a Term used to define any unwanted and unneeded feature in CoW

Game Username: LordStark01
    • Yeah, something like that.
      "If the tanks succeed, then victory follows."- H.Guderian

"Hit first ! Hit hard ! Keep on hitting ! ! (The 3 H's)" Admiral Jackie Fisher

"The 3 Requisites for Success – Ruthless, Relentless, Remorseless(The 3 R's)" Admiral Fisher

Crates: a Term used to define any unwanted and unneeded feature in CoW

Game Username: LordStark01
    • First thank you for your support. I am aware implementing this makes work for the devs, but they appear to me to be doing a great job so far introducing new graphics and repairing bugs any modification can bring. I understand when they brought in all the new nuke tec, trying to increase excitement and possibilities. That is all end game stuff, or post war and in some game domain you can finish before you get to use it. This will add the excitement, increases activity, and changes strategy from beginning to end. If I had the skills, I would start by making simple basic equipment available through the appropriate buildings such as Germans used many converted E-boats in both roles of laying mine and clearing mines. Make them available in navy base even without factories, much like militia. Start them equipped with surface mines that can been seen. Limit the range to 3 or 4 ocean markers and the load capacity to a single mine. They lay mines by targeting the marker and attacking it. Once a mine is laid the target is removed from the targeting list. With the addition of a factory better more effect mines like weighted depth mines for subs and the magnetic mine can be added. Any Ship built is first designated for laying or clear mines. The ships for clearing would have to return after clearing only 1 or 2 mines. This limits the range and making it more practical to build more then a single ship of this type. Also these ships very vulnerable to all forms of attack, land artillery, any navy vessel, even an interceptor should dependence of this unit type fairly quickly. These units should be real inexpensive, one of the quickest, and simplest units to maintain. The same could be done with air bases. The PBY was wide spread and used to lay mines. They would be equipped with 1 weighted depth mine, by introducing a factory, air units would be able to place different types of mine. They could for example lay 1 just before any point a ship may disembark and 1 on the beaches, or docks if there is a naval base. They would also be able to lay land mine. This could be done by targeting land routes and attacking it. Once a route has a mine it is removed from the targeting list. In secret research I would introduce Jasper Maskelyne type research. Day 2 an icon with a magic wand over a barracks, 3 same icon idea a wand over navy base, 4 an air base. Limit this to 1 unit per requirement meeting, so if you had 5 barracks and just researched jeeps and have only 3 Maskelyne troops you would be able to build Maskelyne jeep. Later around turn 20 or so using this research you could make camouflage and turn mines magnetic. I would think all mines originally cause damage measured by % across all units in the group hit. When magnetic they become invisible also can have high chance of instant kill. This could be done by allowing the mine layer to target mines that are none magnetic and attack them turning them magnetic. Not familiar with Jasper wikipedia link; en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jasper_Maskelyne His troops during movement could be identified as they are showen as a motor-cycle and side car, and have the highest rate of moment. Around this time introduce Hobart's funny research which would make a unit that travels on land and sea making extremely slow, but has advanced radar and sonar so it would be able to see and clear all mines. This ability could slow be upgrade giving further range of sight. It would also identify any of Jasper troops with in a more limited range. The maxium range on water is 1 or 2 markers, and maximum range of sight never exceeds the maximum range of a mine layer. ok this a long enough explanation. Hope it answers your questions and shows just how it could be done in stages over time to minimize bugs. I would also point out since the dynamics of each building will need to be change, this would also present the opportunity to install the much requested, disable function on each building. a wiki link to Hobart funny's; en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobart%27s_Funnies
    • Butter Ball Bill wrote:

Mines aren't really deception, the enemy tends to know where they are. Still, I highly support the idea.
      I beg to differ mines only work if you can deceive your foe into believing they are safe, so they will enter the effective range of the device, other wise the mine will not work. Let me ask you this, why did they paint surface mines grey and make them circular? Trust me it was not because there was a red tag sale on grey paint. They spent large amount of money research colours and found grey was the hardest to see in open water, and the circle shape makes it float like an ice burg. This keeps more then 95% of the mine underwater at all times. I might be mistaken though, it is possible they started digging holes and covering them because all the tourist complained about the unsightly litter in farmers fields and country roads. :thumbsup:

Butter Ball Bill wrote:

Mines aren't really deception, the enemy tends to know where they are. Still, I highly support the idea.
    • Well, despite how hard it seems the Brits tried to hide those mines, the Germans still knew they were there and probabky only lost subs to them for two reasons:

1. It is hard to see out of a sub

and

2. Mines are magnetic so they are dragged to the metal hull of the ship or boat.

Forum ArmyField Marshall :00000441:

Mess with the Bill, you get the scorn!

• Nearing the end of the war mines were used more so to slow troop movement. They were used in this way because they could be detected. In other case they would even put up signs to make you aware of the danger to force you into a prearranged killing field. Mines were an important part of the war right up to the end and continue to be. I would however I would like to thank you. I am now convinced I was wrong mines in no way shape or form play any part in deceiving, or tricking your foe. If they ever introduce them keep thinking that way and we will talk.