Suggested new COW awards/decorations/medals

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Suggested new COW awards/decorations/medals

Buried under the "Achievements" tab on our player home pages, there are all sorts of often overlapping awards for having killed X number of enemy units with type Y units of your own. Example: Having killed 10 heavy tank units, you earn the first level of the "Tank Destroyer" award. As far as I know, no-one takes such things seriously and I am sure they were intended in good fun when someone at Bytro Labs created them.

In reviewing the list, however, there appears to be a glaring omission for an award for killing X number of enemy units with artillery, and it might be fun to add an award for the effective use of the often neglected and unsung COW artillery units to the achievements list. If nothing else, it would provide some insight into whether opposing players use artillery or not.

Perhaps they could call it Die Ostfront Bleeding Heart Award.

Just a thought. :)

The post was edited 1 time, last by MontanaBB ().

• @freezy @WiseOdin Apart from the new artillery decoration I suggested above, I also note that there is no recognition yet for players who have won games on the 50-player Pacific map or the 100-player world map. Given that these are the two most challenging COW games currently available, it would surely be nice to know when a player has won a game on those maps.

Cheers.
    • RadRoofer wrote:

I do love to use Artillery units.
      Rad, you are smarter than most players, and indeed, smarter than many of the highly ranked players I have encountered if you make good use of artillery. It's one of the most neglected unit types in the game because, I suspect, it does not provide the instant kills that tactical bombers and some other units types provide. That said, it is one of the best units to reduce your own casualties while inflicting losses on your enemies -- artillery just takes a little time to work its magic.

The post was edited 1 time, last by MontanaBB ().

• MontanaBB wrote:

RadRoofer wrote:

I do love to use Artillery units.
      Rad, you are smarter than most players, and indeed, smarter than many of the highly ranked players I have encountered if you make good use of artillery. It's one of the most neglected unit types in the game because, I suspect, it does not provide the instant kills that tactical bombers and some other units types provide. That said, it is one of the best units to reduce your own casualties while inflicting losses on your enemies -- artillery just takes a little time to work its magic.
      I have only played a handful of game this far, but artillery has certainly proven beneficial, especially after I realized the impact of tanks in city battles....or to rephrase, the lack of impact of tanks.

But late game, I am seeing the on going dominance of planes....

I am certainly learning a fair bit with every match I play.
    • RadRoofer wrote:

I realized the impact of tanks in city battles....or to rephrase, the lack of impact of tanks.
      Yes, sir. If you look at the unit spec sheets for armored cars, light tanks, medium tanks, and heavy tanks, you will see that their strength and hit points are reduced by 50% when they are located in urban areas, which means they will be 50% weaker in combat with other units and twice as easy to kill. Conversely, these armor units are 50% stronger and have all of their hit points when they are present on open plains.
    • So many strategies to use with artillery. You can use 3 stacks to attack in 15 minute intervals behind enemy lines so you hit 3+ times per hour. You can snipe (shoot and scoot). Minimizing casualties is especially important when facing multiple enemies. Artillery shreds infantry. Just keep some mixed units (armor, AT, inf) in front of them to absorb any attack and save your arty. When encountering enemy with planes, stack AA with them. Artillery is my fave unit to play aside from my tacs/ints.
      You cant fix stupid :wallbash
    • another addition:

arty+tank destroyer+AA in 1 stack. if need to be (depending on enemy army composition), add light tanks/infantry. If the stack is big enough, nobody dares to touch it.

Another option I saw in the end game is SPAA+Heavy Tank (without arty). Add SP arties, win every direct ground battle, even against the almighty tac bomber. Rockets are basically the only option to counter such an army - or have a copy of it.
    • Does anyone have good strategies that involve artillery? I currently just use them at battalion level (with an infantry battalion as security) to bombard enemy cities before I invade them. And, they usually act as reserve units if my main units are killed.
      "ANU! CHEEKI BREEKI IV DAMKE!"
    • a bit of help:

use them in stacks, preferably consisting of multiple unit types (include AA/TD!). Only post them behind your army if you are sure they cant be sniped by air units (by AA support, or fighter cover).

Arties are quite useful - even though their stats do not seem to indicate they are. Fortunately they arent overpowered like in Bytros former game, Supremacy 1914. They are in my view 'just right'.
    • This thread has somehow passed unnoticed for a long time it seems. But yeah, I am sure our game designers do not mind adding another fun achievement like "Kill X enemy units with artillery" to the list. And while we're at it: Why don't you propose some fitting names – except for "Die Ostfront", which has already been proposed. ;)
      Felix / Alkyonor
      Community Manager
      Bytro Labs GmbH
    • Alkyonor wrote:

This thread has somehow passed unnoticed for a long time it seems. But yeah, I am sure our game designers do not mind adding another fun achievement like "Kill X enemy units with artillery" to the list. And while we're at it: Why don't you propose some fitting names – except for "Die Ostfront", which has already been proposed. ;)
      Good to hear.

Aside the naming,...Ill leave that to my more creative or historical forum friends....My personal wish is that every unit (yes, even the lowly rocket fig..thats is not so lowly anymore!) gets their achievement.

And also, as stated in another topic, more indepth insight in regard to battle effectiveness. How much have you killed with X unit? Or even better: X unit killed Y, Z, A, B types of units, including their K/D.

Come, we are here on the CoW forum, most of us love 'useless' statistics. For more superficial stuff, facebook.com is your site to go to;).