What to do about Food. Buy or Develop?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What to do about Food. Buy or Develop?

I have only played a few games so far, and in each I am running in to a point where food starts to become an issue. Is the conventional wisdom such that I should develop my core provinces that produce Food, as much as possible? Meaning that after getting to Infrastructure 3 in each, should I build Industrial Complex and upgrade it to level 5, even if I have no intention of ever building troops in the province?

is it worthwhile to develop infrastructure and IC in non-core provinces that produce Food?

Or should I just do the best I can and make decisions which make sense, and then buy the rest of the food I need on the market?

Thanks in advance for your input!
    • Food is very important.

My tips are:

Buy food early and buy food cheap. Money is readily available and resources aren't readily available either - so you have to play the market. Place resources for sale at a high price, and place purchase prices for the same resource at a lesser price. This will help you add money, which you can then use to stock up.

Then build, build, build. In fact, I NEVER STOP BUILDING. LvL 3 Infrasture's all over. LvL 5 Industrial Complexes all over. Just keep on building.

But to keep on building - you need resources, and you need to play the market, as well as win battles and grow your territory, so you can keep on growing your resource production.

Need more? Keep on asking....
    • GO to your province tab. Hit the resources button. Max out your infra and IC in your highest producing provinces, core or not max them out.

Also, barracks take food daily. Disable all barracks you are not using to produce infantry UNLESS the food saved is not worth the manpower hours lost.

Example.... Province "A" 800 manpower hours with a barracks but only consumes 300 food. When you click the disable, watch the numbers for food and manpower hrs. Depending on your needs, adjust accordingly.
    • something I have been experimenting with is making peace with AI's but leaving only non resource provinces for them. That way you don't have to feed the people in that province. It seems to help keep food numbers up, but have mixed results as sometimes they refuse to make peace. Otherwise ditto above, IC, Infra and disable barracks not in use.
      "A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week." - General George S. Patton, Jr.

"Do, or do not. There is no try" - Yoda