1939 Map Rebelling Provinces

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• 1939 Map Rebelling Provinces

I logged on just a little bit ago to see how my old favourite game was doing in my two-month absence. I proceeded to see that Call of War had dropped an awesome new 1939 historical map, one that is probably the best map I've seen in a while.

However, I joined a game on Day 15 to see how people have done with the new map and scoped out a good starting country. I joined as Tibet (only country left) and I see that almost all of the remaining colonial provinces from the British Empire are at 22% and that literally all of the far eastern provinces from the Soviet Union are at 0%.

My suggestion is that, just for the 1939 world map, please get rid of the morale-distance-from-capital-thing. It isn't realistic in this case (well, I guess it sorta is, but it shouldn't be that drastic) and it makes taking a larger country much less fun.
      It's been a while
    • purplepizza117 wrote:

My suggestion is that, just for the 1939 world map, please get rid of the morale-distance-from-capital-thing.
      The morale-distance dynamic needs to be tweaked for the 25- and 100-player world maps, so that the far-flung provinces of the colonial empires are not subject to rebellion in the first two weeks of the game. Presumably, this could be easily modified by simply reducing the penalty number relative to distance.

The dynamic is challenging enough on the much smaller 10- and 22-player European/North American maps, and is stretched about as far as it can still be made to work on the 50-player Pacific map. I have seen it work as a trap for many rookies, and it still has a steep learning curve for many mid-range players as they play their first games on the bigger maps. If you are a North American country invading mainland Asia, or vice versa, it is absolutely essential to have a large surplus of food to feed your new provinces while you stabilize them, and a large surplus of metal to build fortifications to stabilize their morale and thereby increase their resource production. Production of resources to stabilize your new far-away provinces is key.

The post was edited 1 time, last by MontanaBB ().

• Haven't tried the larger maps yet, but sounds like you need to build a lot of nukes. Nuke everything until cooked, than race a bunch of Armored Cars through to capture all the point provinces for a win, before the food and morale penalties kick in. I know easier said than done. Look forward to trying some day.
      "A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week." - General George S. Patton, Jr.

"Do, or do not. There is no try" - Yoda
    • Peter Mat wrote:

. . . race a bunch of Armored Cars through to capture all the point provinces for a win, before the food and morale penalties kick in . . .
      That, sir, will probably not work. All captured provinces start at 25% morale immediately after being occupied. At 25% morale, an un-garrisoned province has a 28% likelihood of rebelling. The immediate rebellion can be avoided by occupying the province with one or more units that have a collective strength of 7.0 or better, but that does not solve the problem, and only postpones the reckoning. Assuming that your newly captured province is relatively close to your own capital city, the morale of the new province should rise relatively quickly, say 5 to 8% at the next daily update, thus raising the morale above 30% and eliminating the possibility of a rebellion. However, for example, if your capital city is in Europe and the new province is in North America or Asia, the morale of your new province may only rise 1 or 2% per day, or in the worst case scenario may not rise at all. In these cases you need to be prepared to make maximum use of the 10% morale boost you receive for capturing an enemy capital to stabilize the morale of your new provinces, as well as using fortifications to increase the morale of your far-flung territories (fortifications increase the morale level of the province by 5% for each level of fortification).
    • Peter Mat wrote:

Haven't tried the larger maps yet, but sounds like you need to build a lot of nukes. Nuke everything until cooked, than race a bunch of Armored Cars through to capture all the point provinces for a win, before the food and morale penalties kick in. I know easier said than done. Look forward to trying some day.
      no offense.

but that's probably one of the most useless strategies i heard....

armored cars are worthless against armored units, an organized and skilled player will usually beat the crap outta your little toys, the mechanized infantry offers more stomping damage for 5% lesser speed, AND it counts as an armored unit. (just checked, even the freaking normal infantry has more firepower than the AC)

and nuclear bombs are just too expensive.... there is no way you're gonna nuke every weak spot of the enemy...
      and you need to wait some 46 days to actually be able to make nukes, at that point, nuking non-core cities is worthless, as most of the map is divided by some 5/6 players
      This player may have been reactivated in October 27th 2017

The post was edited 2 times, last by King Draza Mihajlovic ().

• No offense taken.

The concept does work versus AI's. In my first game on a 22 player map I am currentl running two jeeps through Yugoslavia at top speed, dropping level 3 Italian manufactured rockets on unsuspecting AI garrisons in their path. It is quite fun to implement and watch.

Maybe it would be better to substitute "Fast Ground Unit" for Armored Car, and "Mass destructive device of players choice" in place of Nukes. That way you can use TAC's, Artillery or Rockets when applying the concept. At which point it fits the mainstream strategies of TAC/Light Tank or the balanced AA/Artillary/unit of choice stack(s) marching forward.
      "A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week." - General George S. Patton, Jr.

"Do, or do not. There is no try" - Yoda

The post was edited 1 time, last by Peter Mat ().

• Peter Mat wrote:

No offense taken.

The concept does work versus AI's. In my first game on a 22 player map I am currentl running two jeeps through Yugoslavia at top speed, dropping level 3 Italian manufactured rockets on unsuspecting AI garrisons in their path. It is quite fun to implement and watch.

Maybe it would be better to substitute "Fast Ground Unit" for Armored Car, and "Mass destructive device of players choice" in place of Nukes. That way you can use TAC's, Artillery or Rockets when applying the concept. At which point it fits the mainstream strategies of TAC/Light Tank or the balanced AA/Artillary/unit of choice stack(s) marching forward.
      even militia can work against AI.........
      This player may have been reactivated in October 27th 2017
    • temmie1 wrote:

Report from 16 months in the future.

I got in the same situation that you did upon publication.

Half(at random) of the nations did this. The Soviet far reaches got to like 15%

The Dutch East Indies were terrible though. Like 3-7%
      Yea and they still haven't changed anything about it, it kinda sucks
      It's been a while
    • It took a war against Germany, Italy and the Netherlands for me as France to stabilise the entire morale situation. It also took a massive spam of Anti-tank....

I like this idea, as the 25p map is my favourite map. However, I notice that France seems to get the short end of the superpower stick, as by day 20, you have lost most of Indonesia, Madagascar, French Guyana and the miscellaneous Islands you start with, if you forget about them. With a map that size, forgetting is a common occurrence, and eventually, France is reduced to the mainland.
      "White Fang knew the law well: To oppress the weak and obey the strong"
      Jack London, White Fang

My parents once told me not to play with matches, so I built a flamethrower

The post was edited 1 time, last by NukeRaider33 ().

• I just do not get this incessant whingeing about morale on the 25 player map.

Folks, if you are having morale problems then take it as a challenge and learn how to play so that you can keep your morale up in those far-flung provinces. The challenge of keeping morale up is what makes this game fun and challenging. Stop being snowflakes and expecting the game designers to make the game easier for you.
    • MartinB wrote:

I just do not get this incessant whingeing about morale on the 25 player map.

Folks, if you are having morale problems then take it as a challenge and learn how to play so that you can keep your morale up in those far-flung provinces. The challenge of keeping morale up is what makes this game fun and challenging. Stop being snowflakes and expecting the game designers to make the game easier for you.
      Aight man look. You seem like a nice guy. But I think youre going a little far here, I don't think it's considered being a "snowflake" if all we really want is a way to make the game more entertaining. Yeah there is a challenge aspect to this game which is fun, but overall it is a game which we play for fun and if something isn't fun, we let the developers know about it. It's that simple my guy
      It's been a while
    • purplepizza117 wrote:

I don't think it's considered being a "snowflake" if all we really want is a way to make the game more entertaining. Yeah there is a challenge aspect to this game which is fun, but overall it is a game which we play for fun and if something isn't fun, we let the developers know about it. It's that simple my guy

Trying to get the rules to a game changed so that you can win is not making it more entertaining, my guy, it's just trying to get the easy way out to a challenge.

There is a reason why morale is difficult. If you want to win the gold rewards for a victory in the world map, you need to put in a bit of effort and a very small amount of thinking. If you can't cut it, stick to the noob 22-player map, where morale is not a problem. Don't take on the 25-player World Map and complain that it's not entertaining because you can't cut it. That's like complaining that football isn't fun because you don't know how to kick the ball, and asking the referee to change the rules to let you use your hands.

Don't spoil the fun for those of us who do know how to play the game, just because you can't be bothered to learn how to play it properly.

The post was edited 1 time, last by MartinB ().