Incorrect DE Flag

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I have always been told by teachers and parents it was gold, not orange. But alas, they must all be idiots. Find me a good source and I will agree with you. Shouldn't be too hard. I would look but I might be wrong.

Forum ArmyField Marshall :00000441:

Mess with the Bill, you get the scorn!

• googleing a bit...

The national flag of Ireland is a tricolour of green, white and orange. The flag is twice as wide as it is high. The three colours are of equal size and the green goes next to the flagstaff.
      The flag was first introduced by Thomas Francis Meagher during the revolutionary year of 1848 as an emblem of the Young Ireland movement, basedon The National Flag French tricolour.
      The green represents the older Gaelic and Anglo-Norman tradition while the orange represents the supporters of William of Orange. The white in the centre signifies a lasting truce between the 'Orange' and the 'Green'.
      It was not until the Rising of 1916, when it was raised above the General Post Office in Dublin, that the tricolour came to be regarded as the national flag.
      It is now enshrined in the Constitution of Ireland.

About Gold:
      Occasionally, differing shades of yellow, instead of orange, are seen at civilian functions. However the Department of the Taoiseach state that this is a misrepresentation which "should be actively discouraged", and that worn-out flags should be replaced. In songs and poems, the colours are sometimes enumerated as "green, white and gold" in song, using poetic license (difficult rhymes with orange). The Irish government actively discourages this since the Good Friday Agreement was signed in 1998 in an effort to foster peace and unity

The post was edited 1 time, last by Tremendus ().