Problem player

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Problem player

I created a map specifically for testing purposes. I planned to invite a few trustworthy players so we could test out a few theories, and learn some different game strategies in a controlled environment.
    In the game description I specifically stated "This is a TESTING MAP ONLY, Please do not join without an invitation.

Within moments of making the map I had 3 uninvited players and two more followed within hours.

I politely contacted each of them explaining the game description, and asking that if they would like to participate and agreed to specific conditions they were welcome to stay and if that was not what they were looking for, to please find another game more suited to their desires.

One fellow who agreed to all that, has now been causing problems with multiple players, he has sent literally dozens of spies for sabotage into my country, he is (in that players words) "bullying" another player. He refuses to cooperate and I ruining the experiment and experience for everyone.

Can this player be removed?

I know "this is a war game". I get that. It also is a game specifically designed to allow players to start maps with specific goals in mind. When that is done, and a "player" completely ignores all such specifics, surely that is not acceptable?

Sure, in a regular "war" map, "all is fair in love and war" they say. But this is different I believe.

So, can he be removed from that map?
  • @MrFixitNC Is this a ranked game? If not, just archive it, and start a new game that is password protected, and invite anyone who previously agreed to abide by the "testing" rules you set out.

I doubt you will get any help from the game operators, who seem only to address the most outrageous violations of profanity, harassment, and multi-account cheating..
  • MrFixitNC wrote:

I created a map specifically for testing purposes. I planned to invite a few trustworthy players so we could test out a few theories, and learn some different game strategies in a controlled environment.
    In the game description I specifically stated "This is a TESTING MAP ONLY, Please do not join without an invitation.

Within moments of making the map I had 3 uninvited players and two more followed within hours.

I politely contacted each of them explaining the game description, and asking that if they would like to participate and agreed to specific conditions they were welcome to stay and if that was not what they were looking for, to please find another game more suited to their desires.

One fellow who agreed to all that, has now been causing problems with multiple players, he has sent literally dozens of spies for sabotage into my country, he is (in that players words) "bullying" another player. He refuses to cooperate and I ruining the experiment and experience for everyone.

Can this player be removed?

I know "this is a war game". I get that. It also is a game specifically designed to allow players to start maps with specific goals in mind. When that is done, and a "player" completely ignores all such specifics, surely that is not acceptable?

Sure, in a regular "war" map, "all is fair in love and war" they say. But this is different I believe.

So, can he be removed from that map?
    The best thing you can do is password protect your game. Since the uninvited players havent broken any rules, sadly us Mods and the GO's cant start removing players. Hope this helps friend.
    EN Community Support

• Thank you all.

MontanaBB it is a ranked game. My plan was after day 40, for all of the real players in the game (supposed to have been trustworthy invite only players who would abide by their word) to have one week to prepare, then have an all out war with everything we could muster and see whos long term strategy and theories would come out on top.

I was going to have us post all the results and details for others to see and compare notes.

Sadly, if the staff cannot/will not do anything about it, I am very discouraged from continuing.

I do understand JewBears point and realize many of them have their hands tied.
    But if the game allows a player to make a map and set parameters, they should either give the maker the ability to enforce them, or back up the player by enforcing them for them.

It's funny how the developers expect their rules to be followed, yet they let us make a game, and don't seem to care the slightest when those rules are run over like last years dried dog poop.

And WayneBo..... it is telling on your character that you are "amused" that I would be so "naïve" as to think one could make a game and expect people to abide by the conditions set forth, especially when they have literally hundreds of other options if they do not like those conditions.

Perhaps expecting people to do the right thing is a dying concept these days. Perhaps that is amusing to you.
    However it does make me very glad that real life is not a game and such childishness does not have to be tolerated when one is eyeball to eyeball.
  • MrFixitNC wrote:

Thank you all.

MontanaBB it is a ranked game. My plan was after day 40, for all of the real players in the game (supposed to have been trustworthy invite only players who would abide by their word) to have one week to prepare, then have an all out war with everything we could muster and see whos long term strategy and theories would come out on top.

I was going to have us post all the results and details for others to see and compare notes.

Sadly, if the staff cannot/will not do anything about it, I am very discouraged from continuing.

I do understand JewBears point and realize many of them have their hands tied.
    But if the game allows a player to make a map and set parameters, they should either give the maker the ability to enforce them, or back up the player by enforcing them for them.

It's funny how the developers expect their rules to be followed, yet they let us make a game, and don't seem to care the slightest when those rules are run over like last years dried dog poop.

And WayneBo..... it is telling on your character that you are "amused" that I would be so "naïve" as to think one could make a game and expect people to abide by the conditions set forth, especially when they have literally hundreds of other options if they do not like those conditions.

Perhaps expecting people to do the right thing is a dying concept these days. Perhaps that is amusing to you.
    However it does make me very glad that real life is not a game and such childishness does not have to be tolerated when one is eyeball to eyeball.
    And thats why we put up a password protection for the rounds. In case you want only certain users to come through, give those friends the password.
    EN Community Support

• Jewbear wrote:

The best thing you can do is password protect your game. Since the uninvited players havent broken any rules, sadly us Mods and the GO's cant start removing players. Hope this helps friend.
    Yes, if I had known from the beginning that people would ignore the hundreds of other map options and ignore all the clearly stated conditions of the game, I would have done password protection.

Thank you for the professionalism to give a respectful reply.

I totally understand why the power to remove players cannot be given to all the mods and staff. I see many legitimate reasons for that. it is frustrating however, that your superiors only see THEIR rules as "rules", and a player who makes a new map/game can be ignored and one problem player can ruin the experience for everyone else. THOSE "rules" are just a waste of time.

Did your reply help?
    Well.... it showed that you actually cared enough to respond respectfully and do your best to explain and help, even if there isn't really anything you can do. That is HUGE for good customer service. So, thank you.
  • MrFixitNC wrote:

Jewbear wrote:

Yes, if I had known from the beginning that people would ignore the hundreds of other map options and ignore all the clearly stated conditions of the game, I would have done password protection.
    Thank you for the professionalism to give a respectful reply.

I totally understand why the power to remove players cannot be given to all the mods and staff. I see many legitimate reasons for that. it is frustrating however, that your superiors only see THEIR rules as "rules", and a player who makes a new map/game can be ignored and one problem player can ruin the experience for everyone else. THOSE "rules" are just a waste of time.

Did your reply help?
    Well.... it showed that you actually cared enough to respond respectfully and do your best to explain and help, even if there isn't really anything you can do. That is HUGE for good customer service. So, thank you.
    Anything i can do in the future, please feel free to let me know.
    EN Community Support

• Jewbear wrote:

And thats why we put up a password protection for the rounds. In case you want only certain users to come through, give those friends the password.
    Yeah.... I have since then learned that.
    Too bad I am forced to be stuck with dealing with the issue myself, or being forced to have 5 days of destruction to my ranking stats because even if I quit and archive, I still cant really "quit" for 5 days.

I know.... some "know it all's" would expect a new player to know everything and realize all the mechanics of how new map making and the rules/non rules all work, without having actually tried it before. But those people don't matter.
  • MrFixitNC wrote:

Jewbear wrote:

Yeah.... I have since then learned that. Too bad I am forced to be stuck with dealing with the issue myself, or being forced to have 5 days of destruction to my ranking stats because even if I quit and archive, I still cant really "quit" for 5 days.

I know.... some "know it all's" would expect a new player to know everything and realize all the mechanics of how new map making and the rules/non rules all work, without having actually tried it before. But those people don't matter.
    It goes into inactivity after 2 game day changes. So it might take up to three, but the inactivity should kick in after about 2-3 days.
    EN Community Support

• MrFixitNC wrote:

Anyone who has spent any time involved in online blogging or gaming has had a sample of how the anonymity of the internet results in a significant percentage of people saying or doing things they would never say or do face to face. Such behavior is so common, in fact, that I'm sure there is actually a scholarly name for the phenomenon.

BTW, go easy on WayneBo. He's one of the good guys around here, but his experiences in dealing with the forum moderators, game staff and developers have made him a bit more cynical than he once was. With some good reasons, too, I might add.
  • .. Two day changes without logging in, and you become inactive. This can take between 48 and 72 hours, based on when you signed in last and when day change is. At this point, AI takes over control of your country and your stats will no longer be affected (starting at when you became inactive. Losing half your army on the first day of not logging in will not retroactively be removed from your stats page).

As far as player made rules go, Bytro supports none of them. This means rules like: "No gold," "Arpee," "Don't attack game creator", and "Adults only: No reporting!" Mean nothing to Bytro, and the volunteer staff are directed as such. We do give certain leeways for Arpee posts (playing out arguments, etc, within reason), but will not remove a player because they joined and started attacking other players.

A few players have already pointed out that using a password protected game is your best option. Outside of that, you can ask other players in the map to help you fight against the invading player.
    Free Time looks good on me

The post was edited 1 time, last by WiseOdin ().