Who is the attacker / defender?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• AH's 3rd Reich was a little bearish on the armor exploitation as well. Plus you had the out of supply unit elimination rules that are lacking here.
      "A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week." - General George S. Patton, Jr.

"Do, or do not. There is no try" - Yoda
    • I always expected the advent of computer based gaming to jump on the supply and economic side of war pretty quickly. That was often the hardest part of the old cardboard counter based games. The tally work and confirming of supply routes for each unit is tedious work and that is what computers are for.

Instead I see a tendency toward flashy graphics and "cool" units. An army of commando units for christ sakes??? Blue prints randomly dropped for the skies in enemy territory? Ugh.

Oh well. I am just getting old. Time for me to go yell at the neighbor kids who are walking on my lawn, again.
    • F. Marion wrote:

Blue prints randomly dropped for the skies in enemy territory? Ugh.
      What's worse, it's nothing more than a thinly-disguised "loyalty program," something no-one asked for and which few of us really want.

As I have said before, if my air force repeatedly dropped the plans to my new super secret weapons into enemy territory, I would have the transport flight crew and all of the generals in their chain of command shot for treason and/or gross incompetence. Stalin or H****r would have shot their families too.

The post was edited 3 times, last by MontanaBB ().

• It is deterring me from signing up for the 50 and 100 player maps in the future. Based on how long my current 100 player game has run, it will be fairly common to encounter "blueprint level" forces in the end game of those maps. Not having blueprint forces myself, I am not interested.
    • Yes, need to play many, say, 22-player games to get blueprints. I don't know if they're so useful except in the really old game... You shouldn't fear loss when gathering blueprints, because that game you play is for that purpose, not for winning (although it is sometimes both).

But we digress from topic, I think we got it covered, right ?

More-or-less please ask for sticky or cleaning up a bit and making this sticky on some strategy-channel.

[edit - one thing to add to topic. When fight has started, other units of yours get same value (defending/attacking) when they walk to the fight as the fight already has, they do not become attackers if original fight is defense for you]

S.
      Peaceful sleep for u in death X/ when I grab your lands !
    • Sukaton wrote:

[edit - one thing to add to topic. When fight has started, other units of yours get same value (defending/attacking) when they walk to the fight as the fight already has, they do not become attackers if original fight is defense for you]

S.
      What are you speaking of?
      What means "the original fight is defense for you"?????????
    • Without knowing for sure, I would suggest they work like ground units. If one side is moving and the other stationary, the moving unit is the attacker. The stationary unit is the defender.

If both are moving, then one side uses attack while the other uses defense stats, immediately followed by the opposite. Then they wait an hour and both sides attack and defend again.
    • What I discovered it the submarine in "Aggressive" mode is the attacker if the moving unit does not have a detection capability.

This becomes important in things like Submarine vs Destroyer encounters where there is a significant advantage / disadvantage given to attacker and defender.
    • On the paths between provinces or on the sea both sides are always both attacker and defender. You can confirm that by hovering with your mouse over both armies, both should have the attack symbol and the combat timer displayed, and in the status info in the unit menu it also says "attacking ..." and "attacked by ..." for both armies. Therefore 2 combat ticks happen within the hour in this case.

You can only choose not to attack if your unit is stationed in a province center. Then the attacking army only attacks while you only defend, you can confirm this by checking if only one army has the attack symbol and the combat timer displayed, and in the menu it only says either attacking or defending. In this case we only have 1 combat tick per hour. If you want your own army to also attack, then you give your units a move or attack command, then you also become attacker and the other army defender.
    • freezy wrote:

On the paths between provinces or on the sea both sides are always both attacker and defender. You can confirm that by hovering with your mouse over both armies, both should have the attack symbol and the combat timer displayed, and in the status info in the unit menu it also says "attacking ..." and "attacked by ..." for both armies. Therefore 2 combat ticks happen within the hour in this case.

You can only choose not to attack if your unit is stationed in a province center. Then the attacking army only attacks while you only defend, you can confirm this by checking if only one army has the attack symbol and the combat timer displayed, and in the menu it only says either attacking or defending. In this case we only have 1 combat tick per hour. If you want your own army to also attack, then you give your units a move or attack command, then you also become attacker and the other army defender.
      damn freezy, now my enemies will know how "i hit them twice" in an hour when defending :(
      Estoy dispuesto a darlo todo, a luchar por lo que soy, a ser libre dentro de mi, a guerrear mientras viva.

Manual: Básico y Machiavelli

The post was edited 1 time, last by nemuritor98 ().

• nemuritor98 wrote:

damn freezy, now my enemies will know how "i hit them twice" in an hour
      I didn't realize this was a secret when you were both attacking and defending. The software calculates the combat outcome twice: once with your stack as the attacker, and again with you as the defender. I may be a geek, but in major combat actions, I like to watch and follow the damage that is inflicted and sustained at each step.
    • MontanaBB wrote:

nemuritor98 wrote:

damn freezy, now my enemies will know how "i hit them twice" in an hour
      I didn't realize this was a secret when you were both attacking and defending. The software calculates the combat outcome twice: once with your stack as the attacker, and again with you as the defender. I may be a geek, but in major combat actions, I like to watch and follow the damage that is inflicted and sustained at each step.
      at least in the spanish server it is, most people doesn't know it(not just that, many things)
      Estoy dispuesto a darlo todo, a luchar por lo que soy, a ser libre dentro de mi, a guerrear mientras viva.

Manual: Básico y Machiavelli