Destroyers Bombarding Airplanes???

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Destroyers Bombarding Airplanes???

So I did not expect this to happen.

I have a couple of DDs making a high speed run up the coast to join in a knife fight involving a couple of enemy BBs, a CV and a few submarines on each side. It is looking sketchy for the good guys so I tell those DD skippers to kick in the after burners (Force March) and light up the world (Agressive Fire Control). Being good little skippers, they follow orders and head down the coast.

The Eye of Sauron (that is me) moves on to other things of importance, secure in the knowledge that those DDs will turn the tide of battle.

When Sauron next glances this way a couple of things are noted. The enemy battle group is not to be found and there are two mangled but friendly submarines waiting for orders. WTF? Where are those DDs?

A search back up the path finds them merrily pumping shells into an airbase that has an enemy fighter just hanging out on the ground.

Now, I know DD bombardment is a "feature" that looks cool but does no damage. The question is, why has the game chosen to stop my DDs from doing their assigned task and instead attack something that they can not damage?

Playing with the Fire Control button, I have figured out that in Fire at Will and Aggressive modes, the DDs will engage the ground troops (including airplanes on the ground) even though there is no damage possible.

Can we either 1) give DDs _some_ attack factor versus land units or 2) make their skippers smart enough to not waste time and shells on targets they can't hit?
    • One would think they could destroy grounded aircraft, or at least force the planes to rebase. Also don't DD damage flying aircraft when they come in to attack the fleet?
      "A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week." - General George S. Patton, Jr.

"Do, or do not. There is no try" - Yoda
    • Yes this is an unfortunate issue when using fire control to be aggressive, it will stop your orders to attack ANYTHING in it's range even if it technically can't damage the unit.

Normally I will not set fire control to aggressive if I'm running the fleet up the coast line because of this. I set them back to Fire at Will and just give orders for the fleet to attack the direct units I want them to. This way they wont stop to attack, they follow the marching orders until they arrive at your way point.

However that doesn't mean that the enemy ships will still be there when your fleet arrives. That's ok though because the AI and even the elite AI have a completely retarded Navy and you can just park your fleet there and the stupid AI will circle back around and run right into your ships, lol, seen it happen too many times. So you can use them similar to how you were explaining the blockade with your subs. Just park at choke points and they will come to you.
      "It is even better to act quickly and err than to hesitate until the time of action is past." - Karl Von Clausewitz