What is the best way to increase production of resources?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I have opinions and I have facts. But what is fine is whatever you want to do. First and foremost, this is a game. Do whatever makes you happy and embrace flexibility. Accept loss, celebrate victory, congratulate others and exude kindness and courtesy to your opponents.

If you want a signet of approval, then I hereby bestow upon thee thy right of self-determination. Now, play on and play happy.
      It seemed like such a waste to destroy an entire battle station just to eliminate one man. But Charlie knew that it was the only way to ensure the absolute and total destruction of Quasi-duck, once and for all.

The saying, "beating them into submission until payday", is just golden...pun intended.

R.I.P. Snickers <3
    • I believe Diabolical's I-don't-know-how-many-words speech is pretty useful. Yes, ATs are needed on day one, but just how about build basic stuff on day one. Subs are extremely useful, since they pretty much blockade your seas (note U-boat campaign WWI). I think in the market, you buy stuff that costs less than 6-8 per piece, so you can earn from a cheap selling (unless if you REALLY need it). From what I've read, players usually start out with tanks (note the quote of LTs are OP first few games), but they rarely go for naval power. Cruisers are generally a very good choice in navy, since they offer anti-air and are cheaper than battleship. A mix of everything is best, but as you all know, without using gold, you have to ditch some research. If you're landlocked, try aerial and artillery advantage, as one has said. Building too much is risky, since your investment may go away by enemy attacks.

In conclusion: Best defense is offense! (leave some troops for emergency though)
      "As long as there are sovereign nations possessing great power, war is inevitable." Albert Einstein

"Giving up is not an option in war, for it proves one's incapability and incompetence as a leader." - Me (Little Racoon)
    • Diabolical wrote:

I'm not fond of building Infrastructure before IC's. I know I'm in the minority on this one. But I've been burned more than once for not having upgraded IC's right off the bat (think "mass-sabotage on day 2"). As a rule, probably the only other thing I stick to the most (after the barracks), is that I will usually upgrade most -- if not all -- of my IC's to level 2 before Infrastructure. And I won't build level 2 Infrastructure until the IC has been upgraded to level 3. That way I don't have to worry about battle losses because the IC is recoverable and survives both being invaded and liberated without having to (re)invest the Rare Materials.
      The recent increase in the cost of Infrastructure makes this strategy more attractive.
    • Nooberium wrote:

The recent increase in the cost of Infrastructure makes this strategy more attractive.
      I have not done the math since the recent infrastructure cost increases were implemented, and I will try to do so later tonight.

One thing you should keep in mind, however, is that not only do L1, L2 and L3 infrastructure raise resource production 10%, 20% and 20% respectively, but each level of infrastructure also raises province morale 5%and higher province morale also contributes to higher resource production, Moreover, the 15% morale boost of L3 infrastructure will usually be enough to raise province morale to 100% for most core resource provinces for most countries.

Infrastructure is now a "two-fer," and the higher construction costs reflect that.
    • MontanaBB wrote:

Infrastructure is now a "two-fer," and the higher construction costs reflect that.
      Ah, but that added cost is significant. And, combined with the higher aircraft costs, has forced Oil to become an even greater and more-rare commodity than before. The resource imbalance by this sudden increase in demand for Oil has altered all games for the best and for the worst.

People are still trying to build the same as before, aircraft galore, too much Infrastructure, and not enough factory-based economy. Now, since the update, I've encountered opponents who've stubbornly refused to build less aircraft and I've totally decimated their armies because they had to sacrifice tanks to have enough Oil for those aircraft. One of those same opponents thinks that the solution to [his problem of] overbuilding aircraft is to switch to building nothing but AA Guns...simply because I countered his endless bombers with sacrificial fighters while my tanks bowled him over. And his "AA" folly will be quickly disproven when my tanks roll through his core.
      It seemed like such a waste to destroy an entire battle station just to eliminate one man. But Charlie knew that it was the only way to ensure the absolute and total destruction of Quasi-duck, once and for all.

The saying, "beating them into submission until payday", is just golden...pun intended.

R.I.P. Snickers <3
    • Any mono-culture ultimately leads to starvation....

Combined weapons of the right choice (matching abilities or complementing abilities) is the only right choice, when facing experienced enemies IMHO.

Further, this game is so incredibly well thought through, that there is truly an answer to each threat, as long as you are willing to spend the brain resources to think-up the solution.

And there is no 1-solution-fits-all to the questions posed.

Under threat of TBs, AA is a great answer, but not just AA. Under threat of LTs, AT is a great answer, but not just AT.

Not much oil? Build an army using what you do have and use your oil for specific builds and purposes until the situation improves. Or vice versa.

Make your plan according to the given situation and, as suggested before in this thread: stay flexible, stay informed and think ahead.

Oh, and above all, don't forget to have fun!

I just ended a map where I made my mortal enemy a member of our winning coalition, 4 minutes before the reset that would end the game on points. Why? Because the smart, intensive and inventive combat, sneaky diplomacy and outright murder were the best in a long time :)
      After all, easy wins are the least fun !
    • Key Point Missing So Far in this thread - MORAL

It's been casually mentioned about 5 or 6 times but I feel it deserves it's own Point as outlined in the original Post.

Namely....

Moral IS Your Economy

Moral is directly responsible for how much your province produces. Each province production is calculated as follows:

Production = Max. Production (Set by Map) x Province Moral as % (x.25 if NOT current owner's Core Province)

Therefore if you capture a province that generates 4,000 of something as a Starting player's Core Province, you will produce 25% of that Core Province's production x Moral. At capture provinces start at 25% moral.

So...

Production = Max. Production x Province Moral as % (x.25 if NOT current owner's Core Province)

Production = 4,000 x 25% (Starting Moral after Capture) x 25% (it's Not your Core Province)

Production = 250

If you can raise the Moral of that Province to 100%, it will produce 1,000 of whatever it's capable of making in it's Original owners' hands. Remember that not all territories start as Core Provinces. Some countries start with colonies, and if you capture them, they will produce for you the same amount as they did for the previous owner. These provinces show on map as "Non-Core Province" in their description as opposed to "FLAG Core Province" with the Flag indicating who was the original owner of that particular Core Province.

In the above equation, the only variable you can control is "Province Moral". And there are several ways in which to do it. Since it has already been fully explained in another article... I will not repeat it here but simply link you to the Complete Guide to Rebellions and Province Morale and let you go through it at your own pace.

There are other penalties besides affecting your economy which stem for letting your Moral suffer and fall... they are described in the link as well. So if there is one thing you need to keep an eye on during your game... Moral management is right up there.
      General Maximus Decimus Meridius - "Are you not entertained?"
    • MontanaBB wrote:

5. Naval bases should only be added to coastal ICs as needed for the production of naval units. If your goal is to increase resource production in a given coastal province, then a naval base should only be added after L3 infrastructure and an L5 industrial complex are completed. Naval bases are the least efficient way to increase resource production, i.e., they generate the least return on your investment of resources to build them.
      The only bit I differ with is that a Lvl 1 Naval Base can be built in 15 mins and generates 5% resource bonus so at coastal provinces, with resources, I tend to build the Navy Yard and then the Infrastructure - mainly for speed of return as opposed to return on investment.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Steve_The_Tyke ().

• Steve_The_Tyke wrote:

MontanaBB wrote:

5. Naval bases should only be added to coastal ICs as needed for the production of naval units. If your goal is to increase resource production in a given coastal province, then a naval base should only be added after L3 infrastructure and an L5 industrial complex are completed. Naval bases are the least efficient way to increase resource production, i.e., they generate the least return on your investment of resources to build them.
      The only bit I differ with is that a Lvl 1 Naval Base can be built in 15 mins and generates 5% resource bonus so at coastal provinces, with resources, I tend to build the Navy Yard and then the Infrastructure - mainly for speed of return as opposed to return on investment.
      I would like to warn new players against the mindset of "speed of return".
      Its logical to think that way, i did so too in the start, but when the repay time is measured in days at best, weeks in most cases, 15 minutes vs 4 hours is insignificant and even 4 hours vs 30 hours (upgrading industrials) is not that significant. Really, look at the return on investment, not the speed of it.
      With the repay time of industrials and infrastructure being somewhat close, those build times could play a role, but the fact that your industrials increase unit production and infrastructure is needed for certain units will be a more important factor to lead you in that decision.

Repay times of your investments are approx:
      -Upgrading existing industrial zones on double resource core province: 5 days
      -Building or upgrading infrastructure on double resource core province: 7 days
      -Upgrading existing industrial zones on single resource core province: 10 days
      -Building or upgrading infrastructure on single resource core province: 14 days
      -Upgrading existing industrial zones on double resource captured province: 20 days
      -Building or upgrading infrastructure on double resource captured province: 28 days

-Building level 1 industrial zones, improving single resources in captured provinces, building naval bases: insanely long.

The post was edited 1 time, last by ArjenSmit79 ().

• This is useful as a strategic, conceptual framework. I am wondering if someone would like to update this for 1.5 with regards to resource production investment. Has anyone done the math on how long it would take for the investment to pay itself back if you were to build full Industry on a city with single resource production rate? There are big resource costs for building 5 layers of Industry, and you only get a 100% output bonus from that spot, so it takes a long time (but I'm not sure how long) to recoup those costs. Local Industry on single resource producers makes a lot of sense because it is only 3 levels of investment and you get a 200% output bonus, but I don't know how long (and therefore how worth it is) to invest in the cities with single resource production in 1.5.

Thanks!
    • King Edmund the Just wrote:

This is useful as a strategic, conceptual framework. I am wondering if someone would like to update this for 1.5 with regards to resource production investment. Has anyone done the math on how long it would take for the investment to pay itself back if you were to build full Industry on a city with single resource production rate? There are big resource costs for building 5 layers of Industry, and you only get a 100% output bonus from that spot, so it takes a long time (but I'm not sure how long) to recoup those costs. Local Industry on single resource producers makes a lot of sense because it is only 3 levels of investment and you get a 200% output bonus, but I don't know how long (and therefore how worth it is) to invest in the cities with single resource production in 1.5.

Thanks!
      Trade Market prices also factor in, giving the true value of resource; example, using cheap oil/iron/minerals to improve a food factory is usually a no brainer.
    • Heinrici wrote:

King Edmund the Just wrote:

This is useful as a strategic, conceptual framework. I am wondering if someone would like to update this for 1.5 with regards to resource production investment. Has anyone done the math on how long it would take for the investment to pay itself back if you were to build full Industry on a city with single resource production rate? There are big resource costs for building 5 layers of Industry, and you only get a 100% output bonus from that spot, so it takes a long time (but I'm not sure how long) to recoup those costs. Local Industry on single resource producers makes a lot of sense because it is only 3 levels of investment and you get a 200% output bonus, but I don't know how long (and therefore how worth it is) to invest in the cities with single resource production in 1.5.

Thanks!
      Trade Market prices also factor in, giving the true value of resource; example, using cheap oil/iron/minerals to improve a food factory is usually a no brainer.
      Lol, there are so many ways to play this game))) I never upgrade my food industry in the early game, I tend to have big surplusses and often even sell them off early on since prices are so good. I usually only stop that when the need for recruitment offices starts to arise around day 8 or so. I'm always short on goods in the early game though, so I upgrade those, and rares as well (yeah for the air force). I'm still not sure if it is really worthwhile though, it also costs rares and I never properly calculated break evn points and return in relation to increasing production and expected expansion (I mean, a rare on day one is worth MUCH more than a rare on day 10). I may actually be wrong in doing any upgrades at all.
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • K.Rokossovski wrote:

I'm still not sure if it is really worthwhile though, it also costs rares and I never properly calculated break evn points and return in relation to increasing production and expected expansion (I mean, a rare on day one is worth MUCH more than a rare on day 10). I may actually be wrong in doing any upgrades at all.
      Well I know what I’m going to do. Set up a spreed sheet to calculate the break even point, just give me a few days to gather all the data necessary.
      “If nature doesn’t kill us in the next few decades we will take matters into our own hands” -Habo778 (me)
    • K.Rokossovski wrote:

Lol, there are so many ways to play this game))) I never upgrade my food industry in the early game, I tend to have big surplusses and often even sell them off early on since prices are so good. I usually only stop that when the need for recruitment offices starts to arise around day 8 or so. I'm always short on goods in the early game though, so I upgrade those, and rares as well (yeah for the air force). I'm still not sure if it is really worthwhile though, it also costs rares and I never properly calculated break evn points and return in relation to increasing production and expected expansion (I mean, a rare on day one is worth MUCH more than a rare on day 10). I may actually be wrong in doing any upgrades at all.
      It isn't recruitment offices that you need 'day 8 or so', it's Manpower that you will be running out of. The earlier you build the Recruitment Office, the more MP you will have on day whatever! And the earlier you build factories (Industry) the more resources they will be able to produce for you over the course of the game.
      What you really don't need until later on is Propaganda Offices (as long as your total province morale adjustment is neutral or positive), and higher-level unit production buildings. There is no advantage to having a L3 tank plant if you are only producing L1 LTs there.

There are different optimal paths depending on your strategic plan. Your cities will be set up differently if you intend a big LT/Mot.Inf blitz to overwhelm your neighbors on day 2, vs a strategy of upgrading a lot of L1 units to L3 before making your big attack. (Note that one of the big advantage of blitzing is that you can quickly pillage more resources for your building needs.)

You are not wrong to do upgrades. In general the payback of Industry is good. Just be careful not to overdo it and run out of resources that you need for a desperate defense against an enemy blitz (or to fuel your own blitz).