F1 2017 bloated / overweight 722 kg (Vs e.g. 1991)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• F1 2017 bloated / overweight 722 kg (Vs e.g. 1991)

Can someone please explain why the 2017 regulations with the heavier and wider tyres and the wider car, necessitate an increase in weight to 728 kg from the 2016 value of 705 kg?
      more: giá xe tải dongben

When in 1991, F1 cars and tires were wider still than 2017, and ran amongst others, a V12 engine with a 230 litre fuel tank (instead of 105 litre) and STILL weighed only 505 kg.

With all the disadvantages stacked against the 1991 car, and twenty six years automotive engineering development, should the 2017 car if anything not be much lighter?

Can somebody explain this?

F1 2017
      2000 mm wide
      405 mm Pirelli rear tire width
      V6 1500cc
      105 litre fuel tank
      728 kg

F1 1991
      2200 mm wide
      470 mm Goodyear/Pirelli rear tire width
      V12 3500cc
      230 litre fuel tank (!)
      505 kg
      Tags: gia xe tai van dongben

The post was edited 1 time, last by jackadam ().

• I would guess an increase in mandated safety gear / standards but that is just a guess.

For better or worse, there is an increasing trend in all areas of western society to reduce risk of injury/death in the work place / play ground. While safety is important, risk taking and the resultant potential down side is, IMHO, an inherent part of the human condition. Removing this, unilaterally, from our culture will likely create interesting (and unintended) side effects.

The "snowflake" syndrome of everyone being special, being a winner and not being at risk of being offended would seem, IMHO, to be one of the unintended side effects.

Then again, I am a grumpy old man who grew up before seat belts and bicycle helmets. My life experiences have likely colored my outlook on mandated safety gear for extra-curricular and off-duty activities.