New map ideas

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• MontanaBB wrote:

Dixie wrote:

yeah with nazgul commandos coming out of Minas Morgul
      Yes, that would be slightly more realistic than nuclear missiles in World War II.
      The official CoW timeline goes until 1954, so including nuke stuff makes sense :P

Yossaran wrote:

I was thinking that as a new map it would be fun to play as the 50 real life states (America) with perhaps Mexico and/or the islands in the pacific or any small ones close to the main landmass, Just an idea
      Hmmm... :)
    • freezy wrote:

The official CoW timeline goes until 1954, so including nuke stuff makes sense
      As far as I can tell, there is no "official" COW timeline -- at least not one based in historical reality. The first nuclear aircraft carrier was commissioned in 1961, and the first nuclear submarine was launched in 1954; and no-one ever built a nuclear-powered battleship. The United States did not deploy the first operational tactical nuclear missiles until late 1953. And as far as I know, there was no conventional tactical rocket that could destroy an entire infantry regiment or armor brigade in the field in 1945 or 1954. These are fantasy anachronisms that should have no place in a WW2 strategy game. By including these fantasy anachronisms, we have polluted the in-game WW2 tech even while we continue to omit actual, widely used WW2 technology such as airborne infantry. One day, I would like to have an in-person conversation with the rocket surgeon who decided that including these anachronisms was a good idea.

World War II ended in September 1945, not 1954, and the decision to include these anachronisms looks even sillier now that Bytro has released an online war game based on the technology of the Cold War. The sensible thing to do in distinguishing Bytro's products would be to limit their technology to the stated eras.

The post was edited 2 times, last by MontanaBB ().

• nemuritor98 wrote:

nuclear things always sell. easy money
      Sure, and Bytro could add nuclear powered zeppelins to Supremacy 1914, too. I'm sure that would attract more of a certain kind of player, as well.

Personally, I want to see genetically engineered Nzi super dragons that can bring down strategic bombers. Or we could just add the Nazgul -- aren't they sort of "elite" level dragons anyway?

:P
    • Regarding including pre- or post WW2 tech: You can check the research tree. The different levels are separated by years. So the timeline of the game starts in 1932 and goes until 1954. If you check the details of Inf lvl1 it states 1932, while level 6 states 1950. And there are one to two jumps afterwards for some units, so 4 more years.

Regarding realism: This is foremost a game, balancing and gameplay mechanics have to make sense in that regard, realism is important but has to be abstracted to support playability.

It should also be clear that CoW enables playing out an alternate timelinewhere you can write your own history, as you can play fictional scenarios. In Call of War you can win with every country and therefore also have wars that last longer than 1945, having access to post-1945 tech.