Take the impression of sight away from territory border edges

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Take the impression of sight away from territory border edges

Each of your territories that border a neutral or enemy territory have a false visual buffer on it. The shading of this buffer is the same as a units outer buffer that lets you see unknown units. In contrast, this territory buffer does not allow you to see if any enemies are near the border, you need a unit to do that. I have spend a lot of time having to verify if that area is indeed empty by waiting for unit and then make a guess if your units are close enough to make the call. I would prefer is the game just keep the unknown area by your border under complete fog of war, or give us visual on unknown units and travel lines if you must keep the buffer. I don't really care which, but having it colored like you can see, when you really cant is very annoying. Currently, the share map from your allies does a fine job of showing you what area you can actually see, so the fix should be easy. Thank you for the game, and your welcome for the easy and constructive game improvement options I mentioned.
    • FinnDaddy wrote:

Each of your territories that border a neutral or enemy territory have a false visual buffer on it. The shading of this buffer is the same as a units outer buffer that lets you see unknown units. In contrast, this territory buffer does not allow you to see if any enemies are near the border, you need a unit to do that.
      Spot on. The current graphic is misleading.
    • WayneBo wrote:

Is it still possible for an enemy to disembark troops without being detected, if there is no friendly unit within view of the landers?
      Nemuritor: Yes, it is.

Sheesh. And some people are worried about what would happen if we had airborne units. Perhaps they should focus on the weaknesses that do exist, rather than those that don't.

Any idea how close your units have to be to the water's edge in order to detect an incoming amphibious invasion? I can't believe that I haven't encountered this problem before now, but I do tend to be fairly religious about building naval patrol bomber units when I have a big chunk of coastline . . . .
    • MontanaBB wrote:

Christian Newton wrote:

I dont like the idea simply because even if that's fixed people can still use plane's to quickly view while you aren't online.
      Christian, if you're not running your fighters and tactical bombers on reconnaissance over your "quiet" neighbors' borders while they're sleeping in order to find out what they're up to, well, then you're asking for it.
      and putting your units extremely close to the border isn't?
    • Christian Newton wrote:

I dont like the idea simply because even if that's fixed people can still use plane's to quickly view while you aren't online.
      I'm glad I was able to explain the problem to most people and they likely understood right away. I think Christian missed the point. If he doesn't like aerial reconnaissance, he can post that in another thread (but I somehow doubt he will find support).

The post was edited 1 time, last by FinnDaddy ().

• Not A Communist wrote:

Stuff like this doesn't really get fixed, a lot of the stuff added to this game does more harm than good.
      Well, it's a lot easier to remove something than add something. Removing the deceptive "sight line" buffer from a country's borders should be a no-brainer.

As for worthless additions that do "more harm than good," don't even get me started on air drops, blueprints and "crates." That said, most changes I have witnessed in my 13 months of personal experience with Call of War have been for the better.

Not A Communist wrote:

This game had good potential too, it's a shame.
      Still does, sir. Still does. The core program -- the so-called "software engine" for determining battle outcomes -- is excellent, and I see the rest of it as a work in progress. But let's recognize that it's never going to be all things to all people.
    • robertjm wrote:

I'd love to see a video screen capture of that. Must be something pretty to see.
      Robert, it's what the U.S. Navy often did with their naval patrol bombers In the Pacific (usually PBY Catalinas in that theater). It's how they found part of the Japanese fleet in the run-up to the Battle of Midway. A little knowledge of history can be very helpful in this game -- and don't let any of the naysayers tell you otherwise.

BTW, it's usually not necessary to fly a full 360-degree reconnaissance pinwheel, only the limited 90 to 180-degree segment over your neighbor or adjoining body of water. If you don't have enough aircraft units to do the full arc you need to reconnoiter, do one segment, and then shift your aircraft units to cover another arc segment. You can usually shift your patrolling aircraft 15 or 20 degrees to the left or right without forcing them to immediately return to base first.
    • What I really meant is that I'm fairly sure (although not 100%) certain that CoW player base is declining in numbers from its peak. The game is very fun, no doubt about it. However there are certain things about this game that can make a newer player lose interest (multis, some game mechanics, slow addition of new features to the game etc etc). Another example of this is how CoW lost its RP Community pretty much because the game lacked the features they wanted, and they really weren't asking for much. I just think this game could of been a lot more successful than it was/is.
    • Not A Communist wrote:

What I really meant is that I'm fairly sure (although not 100%) certain that CoW player base is declining in numbers from its peak. The game is very fun, no doubt about it. However there are certain things about this game that can make a newer player lose interest (multis, some game mechanics, slow addition of new features to the game etc etc). Another example of this is how CoW lost its RP Community pretty much because the game lacked the features they wanted, and they really weren't asking for much. I just think this game could of been a lot more successful than it was/is.
      the main reason right now that is making the cow player base fall is CoN
      Estoy dispuesto a darlo todo, a luchar por lo que soy, a ser libre dentro de mi, a guerrear mientras viva.

Manual: Básico y Machiavelli