Difficulties with attack on Naval base

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Difficulties with attack on Naval base

Maybe I'm just not understanding something; which is certainly possible since this is my first game of CoW.

I am trying to attack a naval base in case the enemy has some ships in harbor. I don't know whether there are any ships there, and it's quite probably there aren't any ships there.

When I tell my squadron (1 destroyer, 1 submarine), to attack the harbor, it asks me to specify the attack. However, I get the "ghostbuster" symbol (sorry, I don't know what else to call it), and clicking results in nothing. The only time I actually get the orange and red attack arrow is if I hover over the city's name. But, then it goes away as soon as I click it.

Do I have to actually see a ship in harbor before I can attack it, as opposed to airplanes which I can specify the city in my attack?

Also, I'm not quite certain if the harbor is within the attack oval. But, if it isn't, then there's an issue because this is as close to the city as it gets.

Confused,

Robert

• robertjm wrote:

But, what I'm trying to do is attack any ships IF they are there. How does a submarine do that? Or, like I asked before, does the submarine have to actually see a ship to do that?
      To attack you need to see the target, yes, just move the submarine to the coast.
      Estoy dispuesto a darlo todo, a luchar por lo que soy, a ser libre dentro de mi, a guerrear mientras viva.

Manual: Básico y Machiavelli
    • So basically it might just be a long cruise for nothing, if there's no ships to see.

Thanks for the clarification.

Another question I have, that would be sort of related. Since I'm not buying a Premium plan (i.e.: no High Command), I can't change the Fire Control setting.

What is the default Fire Control access? I tried finding the answer to that online. But, a Google search gives me no specific answers.
    • Just for clarity (since this is your first game), the Naval Base is an improvement in the province, not an actual harbor with ships in it.

It is placed at one of the points where the province "roads" enter the sea so that ships built there start on the movement grid. It also improves embarking / dis-embarking for units that travel on that "road".

If you wish to attack the Naval Base, it is the same as attacking the city, with the damage spread across all the improvements in the province.

If you are looking to attack naval units (whether they are near a naval base or not), with basis commands, you move with in combat range of them and stop. At that point your forces will engage the enemy forces.

I would offer that High Command is a pretty small price to pay for some features that make it much easier to play the game and not be tied to the computer. I consider it a steal at a monthly cost that is equivalent to one of the pretend coffee drinks my wife is buying almost daily. Then again, each of us have different priorities and resource levels.
    • all naval ships will attack each other if they occupy the same spot on the map at the same time (and you are at war).
      Destroyes, Cruisers, and Battleships have ranged attacks and can attack from a distance, that is the circle which you are seeing around your cursor when you move them.
      Submarines and Carriers do not have range attack can only attack other ships if they are occupying the same spot on the map at the same time.
      By sending your ships to their city you will automatically attack any of their ships along the way (if you are already at war).
      Destroyers cannot damage buildings.
      Cruisers and Battleships can damage buildings.
      Capturing the city will also damage the cities buildings.
    • GrandNagusZek wrote:

By sending your ships to their city you will automatically attack any of their ships along the way (if you are already at war).
      not quite, if your ships has the order to go deeper(movement/attack order) in the default option, it will follow your order even if it founds new static enemies that are attacking you(only range), if it founds a submarine or a ship in the same road then yes, even with the default option, it'll engage in battle with it and then continue on its way
      Estoy dispuesto a darlo todo, a luchar por lo que soy, a ser libre dentro de mi, a guerrear mientras viva.

• nemuritor98 wrote:

GrandNagusZek wrote:

if it founds a submarine or a ship in the same road then yes, even with the default option, it'll engage in battle with it and then continue on its way
      How was I wrong exactly??
    • GrandNagusZek wrote:

nemuritor98 wrote:

GrandNagusZek wrote:

if it founds a submarine or a ship in the same road then yes, even with the default option, it'll engage in battle with it and then continue on its way
      i understood "along the way" as including range battles too, maybe i misunderstood it, sorry

• nemuritor98 wrote:

GrandNagusZek wrote:

nemuritor98 wrote:

GrandNagusZek wrote:

i understood "along the way" as including range battles too, maybe i misunderstood it, sorry
      No worries mate ;)
    • It might be worth explaining this in terms of "Fire Control".

The basic (non High Command) player is always operating in "Fire at Will". This has the description: "If no other commands are given, the closest enemy will be automatically attacked".

The brand new player gets HC for a month free. The rest of us can pay $6 USD/month or $50/year for HC.

This adds options to ranged units and submarines. Essentially any unit that can choose to engage or not has additional Fire Control options.

Hold Fire: Bombard Enemies only when specifically told to attack
      Return Fire: Bombard Enemies only if attacked by them
      Fire at Will: If no other commands are given, the closest enemy will be automatically attacked <default setting>
      Aggressive: Start attacking any enemy in range, even if the execution of other orders have to be deferred.

These options allow a sub (for example) to be told to not attack anything, just watch the world go by or perhaps only return fire on those things that can detect it and attack it.

They also allow SP Artillery (for example) to be sent on a raid into the enemy's back country secure in the knowledge it will bombard targets before actually engaging them.

I'll let your imagination run wild with all the neat little tricks this allows an adept player to pull.

<submarine lying in wait>
      "nope, not the destroyers"
      "nope, not the convoy"
      "ahh, sweet, the aircraft carrier, YES!"
    • F. Marion wrote:

Just for clarity (since this is your first game), the Naval Base is an improvement in the province, not an actual harbor with ships in it.

It is placed at one of the points where the province "roads" enter the sea so that ships built there start on the movement grid. It also improves embarking / dis-embarking for units that travel on that "road".

If you wish to attack the Naval Base, it is the same as attacking the city, with the damage spread across all the improvements in the province.

If you are looking to attack naval units (whether they are near a naval base or not), with basis commands, you move with in combat range of them and stop. At that point your forces will engage the enemy forces.

I would offer that High Command is a pretty small price to pay for some features that make it much easier to play the game and not be tied to the computer. I consider it a steal at a monthly cost that is equivalent to one of the pretend coffee drinks my wife is buying almost daily. Then again, each of us have different priorities and resource levels.
      Dear sir, what you told us here makese feel youre a grown up man and earning. I am still a lad of 18 and just passed high school. Kids/teens cannot waste money like this.