Commodities Price Cap

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I would tend to agree.

Back in the day, I would wonder if it was 'cause someone initialized the variable as an integer but that kind of stuff is not typically a problem to today's programmers.

I wonder if it is an attempt to limit egregious abuse of the market to transfer goods between players. With the TOS rule versus "wolf packing", I would not be surprised to learn that the market limits are another symptom of that.

Personally I find it annoying that it is so easy to strip the market of a given resource. It seems unreasonable that days can go by where there is no commodities of any kind available for purchase. I have seen a few games where the market goes dry somewhere around day 10 and never really recovers.
    • I noticed the market dry ups as well. Creates an interesting opportunity to play a sub game of a commodities dealer in games. If your positioned in one of the resource rich areas selection is strait forward (22 player -SE corner and Africa on oil, Central Europe for Metal). Time frame of the game also plays a role, early on Goods and metal are hot commodities, rare is tight for a brief period after day 8, while the oil market does not seem to pick up until mid game.
      "A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week." - General George S. Patton, Jr.

"Do, or do not. There is no try" - Yoda
    • The availability of resources and the relevance of the commodities market also varies from map to map. For a variety of reasons, I have mostly played the 22-player European map and, lately, the 50-player Pacific map, but the two occasions when I have played the 10-player European map I have found that it is much better for resource production and I had less-frequent need for market transactions.

That said, I am a vacuum cleaner for metals and oil, and I can never get enough because of my constant improvement of resource production and my heavy reliance on fast-moving motorized units. So, I am always on the look-out for the opportunity to buy additional oil on the cheap.