Many innocent accounts banned for multi-account usage

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Many innocent accounts banned for multi-account usage

Recently I received a message for an in-game notification about the violation of the rule against using Multiple Accounts. I understand that accounts that use the same IP would seem to be a case of people who cheat using multiple accounts. I myself completely believe that this is unfair and am so enraged when I see people doing this, I do think it is unfair. But, my problem currently is that a LOT of accounts from people I know got banned. I believe this is no fault of the staff team's as they could not have expected this, BUT the situation is quiet unique. Many of my friends and I play the game together, usually we join matches together as well. We play all the time, but the problem is that we are connected to the same IP quite often for a few reasons, sometimes we check the game at school, at each others houses, or elsewhere.

I am writing this mainly on behalf of my friends, as I used the one "account save" on myself since I was the first to be notified. If you need any form of verification I am wiling to give you any evidence you need, and I'm sure that they are willing to as well.

I will attach the image of the message I got as well as leave a list of the banned accounts as well. Thanks

The only account I actually know for a fact is Inchulk2013, he is a good friend of mine and like I said, we have played at school and at eachother's houses together. Hopefully this can be resolved quickly, perhaps somebody at our school was using alts but I'm not really sure, that's for the staff team to figure. Thanks!
    • @Bytro Labs:

There is a solution to this problem. You know it. I know it. Anyone who has ever dealt with security for online accounts knows it.

Unique user names tied to verified credit card accounts with the individual players' real names.

Bytro Labs is NOT the first online business to encounter this problem. Do the required work, shared wifi servers become irrelevant, and let's be done with this. As things stand now, you are only hurting your own bottom line: profits. Fix the problem, and your business will grow as students, roommates, and others who routinely share wifi networks will be able to play Call of War, buy gold and premium accounts, and not be routinely accused of cheating, when in fact they are not.
    • Ah shucks. Montana gave us a real answer.

I was waiting for the multiple insinuations that OP really is a dirt bag who has been cheating and now is claiming innocence.

Then again, Montana has the right idea.

Verified user / credit card account matching. Any account that appears to be sharing an IP address (?cheating?) gets 48 hours verify ID with a credit card. Purchase not required but the credit card / name gets registered to that account.

I don't know about you but I don't know of very many folks who have multiple credit cards with different names on them.

Come on Bytro, make it happen!
    • Matertua wrote:

Recently I received a message for an in-game notification about the violation of the rule against using Multiple Accounts. I understand that accounts that use the same IP would seem to be a case of people who cheat using multiple accounts. I myself completely believe that this is unfair and am so enraged when I see people doing this, I do think it is unfair. But, my problem currently is that a LOT of accounts from people I know got banned. I believe this is no fault of the staff team's as they could not have expected this, BUT the situation is quiet unique. Many of my friends and I play the game together, usually we join matches together as well. We play all the time, but the problem is that we are connected to the same IP quite often for a few reasons, sometimes we check the game at school, at each others houses, or elsewhere.
      Hello Matertua, playing from the same IP is forbidden according to our Terms of Service, which you all agreed to during registration. if you want to resolve this issue, please write to our support team and explain the whole situation in as much detail as possible. In fact, every of the accused accounts will have to do this on their own. You and all other accounts should have received an email about the ban, simply let everyone answer on these emails and explain the situation.

MontanaBB wrote:

@Bytro Labs:

Unique user names tied to verified credit card accounts with the individual players' real names.
      Not feasible. Roughly 95% of our players do not pay at all, therefore it is likely that a big chunk of those players would also not bother verifying a credit card. We would most certainly lose the majority of our userbase by that and in turn also lose paying users because the games become more inactive. Adding to that, credit cards are not that popular in every country. In Germany for instance there are lots of people who don't own one as other payment methods are more popular. This method would therefore also pose problems internationally.

The simple solution is actually that every player adheres to our ToS. if there is a special situation that requires logging in from the same network, it has to be talked about with our support staff upfront.
    • I have the same problem with the moderation team and am too outraged; I have clearly voiced this to them. I think you'll know who I am; I was Germany on the same game as you. I have never cheated and would never cheat but have been suspended from that game on baseless claims because I traded with another nation who was leaving the game. Two players (Myself and matertua) , who were both doing well, have been banned from a game on what I believe is insufficient evidence. I am absolutely appalled by the actions of the moderator team; they have persecuted an innocent player (I can't speak about the innocence of Materua) based on fraudulent claims of cheating. I have been personally accused of cheating in, what I believe, is a scripted message by the moderation team when this simply is not the case. This is appalling.

It has been nearly 48 hours since my game was suspended and I have yet to receive a response from the moderator who suspended my game; I think it is fair to say that the game has been ruined by false accusations from both moderators and players.

The post was edited 3 times, last by Jolryl ().

• freezy wrote:

MontanaBB wrote:

@Bytro Labs:

Not feasible. Roughly 95% of our players do not pay at all, therefore it is likely that a big chunk of those players would also not bother verifying a credit card. We would most certainly lose the majority of our userbase by that and in turn also lose paying users because the games become more inactive. Adding to that, credit cards are not that popular in every country. In Germany for instance there are lots of people who don't own one as other payment methods are more popular. This method would therefore also pose problems internationally.

The simple solution is actually that every player adheres to our ToS. if there is a special situation that requires logging in from the same network, it has to be talked about with our support staff upfront.

Freezy, I agree that the ToS provides a simple solution. It also seems to be a solution that is not working for more and more players.

Perhaps instead of looking at IP address and considering that a unique identifier, the game could look at the IMEI number. This would make each device (computer, phone, tablet, etc) only capable of hosting one player.

Yes, we could run into the challenge of an individual using multiple devices to be "multiple players". I would suggest this is no more a risk than the current one of a player using IP spoofing software to be "multiple players". While I have not tried it, I suspect a decent VPN account or perhaps even just a TOR browser would be sufficient to defeat simple IP address checking.

BTW, I have suddenly realized I am in your 5% club. Suddenly I feel oh, so, special. ;)
    • freezy wrote:

[Credit care registration is] not feasible. Roughly 95% of our players do not pay at all, therefore it is likely that a big chunk of those players would also not bother verifying a credit card. We would most certainly lose the majority of our userbase by that and in turn also lose paying users because the games become more inactive.
      @freezy: Once again, a lack of imagination.

Credit card registration and verification would only be required if there is a problem. Most players would continue as they are now. I guaranty that most innocent folks caught up in the middle of shared wifi network, and in the middle of playing a game, would immediately register a credit card if it resolved the problem in a timely manner.

Moreover, you're losing far more customers because you freeze their accounts, and then don't respond to their inquiries for several days, because they are convinced that they're getting killed in the game in the mean time. If you responded in a timely manner, such that it did not jeopardize the player's game position (i.e., within a few hours), and then gave them the option of credit card registration to resolve the problem, you would quickly separate the sheep (i.e., innocent players who share a wifi node or other network) from the goats (i.e., the guilty multi-account cheaters).

I also strongly suspect that once registered, a not insignificant percentage would eventually purchase gold, premium memberships, or both. Credit card registration is good marketing: it helps overcome a psychological sales threshold, and it would be easier for already-registered players to make their first credit card purchase.

[ @Sasri: The paid Bytro Labs staff needs to take a look at this. The present protocol for resolving possible multi-account cheating is hurting more than a few innocent players, and you're losing potential business as a result. It's time to escalate this issue to Bytro's company officers. ]

The post was edited 2 times, last by MontanaBB ().

• F. Marion wrote:

Verified user / credit card account matching. Any account that appears to be sharing an IP address (?cheating?) gets 48 hours verify ID with a credit card. Purchase not required but the credit card / name gets registered to that account.
      Yup.

Over the last 20 years, I have been involved with multiple organizations and businesses, including my own, that received a sizeable chunk of their revenue via credit card payments. This ain't rocket surgery.

And once a player/customer is registered, you have made it easier for them to make their first credit card purchase. Which, as most of the adults in the room understand, is the only reason for Bytro Labs' existence.
    • F. Marion wrote:

Perhaps instead of looking at IP address and considering that a unique identifier, the game could look at the IMEI number. This would make each device (computer, phone, tablet, etc) only capable of hosting one player.

I would suggest this is no more a risk than the current one of a player using IP spoofing software to be "multiple players". While I have not tried it, I suspect a decent VPN account or perhaps even just a TOR browser would be sufficient to defeat simple IP address checking.
      yes, IP address is a really bad way to try to "identify" online users these days. This was a better method 10 years ago when people where still stuck on a computer that was physically plugged into their broadband connection. But nowadays many people share the same broadband connection from a central router.
      Also the existance of easy to use and free vpn software, and tor, makes using IP's to ID unique users even more difficult and ridiculous as a concept. I believe its time to grow up out of the pre-wifi era of internet security and devise new and better methods for identifying unique users. MAC addresses, IMEI numbers, unique credit card/payment methods (without purchase) are all much better solutions to this problem, imho.
    • We are still improving our Anti Cheat system, more detection features will be added in the future.

Still this part of the Terms of Service will stay, I can say so much.

I can also tell you guys how some other big browser games handle this. There everyone playing from the same network has to send a copy of your ID or passport to the support staff for verification. We are quite humane and unbureaucratic in that regard. You just need to talk to our support team and explain the situation very plausibly.

@Jolryl: You too have to write to our support staff. You should have received an automatic email about your ban, please answer on that one.

Montana I am Bytro staff, so no worries :p
    • So wait,you're saying you want us to SEND OUR PERSONAL IDENTITIES over the Internet? That sounds like the sketchiest and, in my opinion, stupidest way to solve this problem. It would be easier just for someone to make a new account, not to mention the risks they would be evading by not sending their identity to people over the internet. And yes, I am very aware the the support team would be very cautious and official with this information, but I also know that it's not like you guys do a background check or some oath for your staff team, I mean, by all regards, correct me if i'm wrong. Anyways, your system for catching "cheaters" and "dealing with innocent members" is not adequate or feasible to any one of the players.

freezy wrote:

We are still improving our Anti Cheat system, more detection features will be added in the future.

I can also tell you guys how some other big browser games handle this. There everyone playing from the same network has to send a copy of your ID or passport to the support staff for verification. We are quite humane and unbureaucratic in that regard. You just need to talk to our support team and explain the situation very plausibly.

@Jolryl: You too have to write to our support staff. You should have received an automatic email about your ban, please answer on that one.

• freezy wrote:

We are still improving our Anti Cheat system, more detection features will be added in the future.

I have responded and received no response. It has been around 60 hours since I replied. This is ridiculous and ruined the game for no reason.
    • Jolryl wrote:

I have responded and received no response. It has been around 60 hours since I replied. This is ridiculous and ruined the game for no reason.
      Thats unfortunate Jolryl, but there are many games going on all the time, and I would recommend just cutting your losses and moving on. I've played a whole lot more games with non-cheating players, than I have against cheating players.
    • Matertua wrote:

So wait,you're saying you want us to SEND OUR PERSONAL IDENTITIES over the Internet? That sounds like the sketchiest and, in my opinion, stupidest way to solve this problem. It would be easier just for someone to make a new account, not to mention the risks they would be evading by not sending their identity to people over the internet. And yes, I am very aware the the support team would be very cautious and official with this information, but I also know that it's not like you guys do a background check or some oath for your staff team, I mean, by all regards, correct me if i'm wrong. Anyways, your system for catching "cheaters" and "dealing with innocent members" is not adequate or feasible to any one of the players.
      No you misunderstood, that is how many other big browsergames handle it. You don't have to send your ID here. But you have to give a plausible explanation. In the case of the OP there is clear evidence that some of the affected accounts were not that innocent...

Jolryl wrote:

Sorry for the waiting time, a Game Operator will answer your ticket shortly.

Also I suggest playing game rounds with the Anti Cheat system disabled if you play with friends from the same network.
    • @Dr. Leipreachan For your attention

@Matertua .. we stand ready to receive a new ticket from you. when that arrives we will reply to assist you
      callofwar.com/index.php?id=279

@Jolryl .. you have created a forum name that does not match your account name, so we are struggling to locate you.
      Please make a new ticket as the CM suggests and include your forum name in that ticket so we can assist you.
      Field Marshal Dan
      Former Call of War Game Operator & staff trainer 2015-17
      Community Coordinator @ New World Empires
      EN Community Support | Bytro Labs