Day Change

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Currently, the time of day change is the same across all servers. It is midnight, winter time, CET. It shifts an hour in summer because of DST. So for all CET players, DC is midnight in winter and 1 am in summer.

All players have a schedule like that. For East Coast Americans, they live 6 hours behind CET, so it's 6 or 7 pm. West Coast Americans, it's 2 or 3pm. And so on, and so on.

When you think carefully, that's not really fair. For Europeans that have a normal day job, it means the day changes just after they really needed to go to bed, especially in summer.

Two important in-game things happen at day change:
      - Rebellions
      - Spy actions

For both, it is important to repsond to them as soon as possible. Troops need to be dispersed to re-take the rebellious provinces, and action needs to be taken on spotted troops by spies.

For Europeans with a normal day schedule, it is often 7 or more hours after day change that they wake up. Spy reports are already old, and you need to rush far back to rebellions. For Americans and many other TZ's, they just need to log in once in afternoon, click a few times, and DC events are handled.

So the place where you live has a major in-game impact on the game. I'm sure that this isn't as intended.

So I would like to make two possible suggestions on how to change this:
      - Day change time is the same as creation of the game (game creator can decide when DC is, and players can pick a game where DC suits them);
      - Days are declared 23 or 26 hours long, so day change slowly shifts over time and adverse effects are distributed over all players in all time zones.

Positive side effect is that DC doesn't have a huge server impact anymore cause all DC's of all servers happen at the same time!
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • I've post this suggestion oft in the German part of this forum. I is on the "Big List" for the developers for future options...

The ground idea is to make the day change always 24 hours after game start. So the game admin can set the start hour of a game, that is IMO the best way to have a consumer friendly gameplay.

Would you like to play with your friends in a game where gold is banned?

Watch for the next season starts in September!
    • @freezy

*BUMP*

Sarah has said this wasn't on the development schedule any time soon. She's gone now though, so maybe you could look into the issue again? As I see it, this is STILL one of the MOST irritating problems on the current game!!

For reference, in summer time and in Europe, day change is now at 1 am in the morning. By morning, it is 7 or more hours later; that means espionage reports are outdated, responses to rebellions and players going inactive are late, etc etc.

Even a very basic solution (set day change to game creation, for example) would be SO MUCH appreciated!!
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • This is as a European my big frustration. I'm always 5 or more hours behind in research, my spy reports are old and the fact that it takes me longer to reclaim makes it abundantly obvious that i'm European and other players can exploit it.
      BMfox
      EN Community Support | Bytro Gmbh

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/BMfoxCallofWar

Found a bug or need help? Send a ticket here!
    • BMfox wrote:

This is as a European my big frustration. I'm always 5 or more hours behind in research, my spy reports are old and the fact that it takes me longer to reclaim makes it abundantly obvious that i'm European and other players can exploit it.
      Even worse for me when I happen to go to Greece - one hour worse, to be exact.

As an alternative suggestion (which depends on how many players you have from Australia/China) some time around 5PM CET would seem to fit both US and European players.
    • My favorite idea was to change the day-cycle from 24 hours to something else, I suggest 25 hour days in the game. This cycle would be the most advantageous method for maps that are run server-wide. So for any 100p and 50p maps that cannot be started by actual players, the 1st day will end ~25 hours after it starts (round to nearest hour). Preferably, you could have matches divided between Europeans and Americans, but then the games will fill up way too slow.

atreas1 wrote:

BMfox wrote:

This is as a European my big frustration. I'm always 5 or more hours behind in research, my spy reports are old and the fact that it takes me longer to reclaim makes it abundantly obvious that i'm European and other players can exploit it.
      Even worse for me when I happen to go to Greece - one hour worse, to be exact.
      As an alternative suggestion (which depends on how many players you have from Australia/China) some time around 5PM CET would seem to fit both US and European players.
      My problem with this method is that although a time we select may seem workable to many of us, it might not be workable for the majority of the current (and potential) players of CoW. Some Americans are busy from 9 to 5 (and can't play CoW on break) while others are busy from 6 to 3. There will never be one ideal time for everybody.

The best solution with most games is the creator selects the hour of day change, and they would have a list of reasonable times to select from. These may include times like 6 AM EST, 9 AM EST, 12 PM EST, 3 PM EST, 6 PM EST, and 9 PM EST (Notice how it's not every hour, but every 3 hours).
      "Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster." ~ Sun Tzu, The Art of War

"War does not determine who is right - only who is left."