commandos limitations

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• commandos limitations

would like to recommend the idea that commandos be allowed to be made in all core lands not just the capital. it is currenty not cost effective to get commandos.. keeping them to the core lands would still keep them in balence as you are still limited to where the can be made and the travel time to get them to the forward part of the battle.
    • I would have agreed that production of commandos units was a distraction from the production of more important line units early in the game, but with the recent experimental adjustments to the offensive and defensive strengths of commandos, I may have to re-assess my unit production priorities . . . .

I would be curious to hear all anecdotal reports regarding the combat effectiveness of the modified commandos battalions against other unit types and in different situations.
    • I cringe when I see Commandos making up more the 10% of any countries ground force.

You can't just train folks to be commandos. There is a down select process that removes those who are not fit.

The folks who wash out of the commando programs still are likely to excel in regular units. That tells you the difference in base skill levels between a commando unit and a regular unit.

Problem is, that to get that level of basic skill and capability, you have to turn away a lot of folks who are not good enough. They have a pre-existing injury, they have a physical limitation, they use rocks for brains, they have the emotional maturity of a 4 year old. These are all folks that will do just fine in your average rifle company but don't make the grade for commando.

So, why are the manpower requirements so low for commando units? They should have a manpower cost that is much closer to the cost of a full up Infantry unit since that is how many folks you start with to get a commando unit.

The commando army makes me think of this dust up. Excellence is not issued.

How Rangers feel about everyone getting issued the beret they worked for.
    • F. Marion wrote:

You can't just train folks to be commandos. There is a down select process that removes those who are not fit.
      You know, if you got like 20+ million people, at least 10000 are capable to be elite personel.

also, for some reason, people REALLY want COW to be arcade-ish...don't expect people to follow realism
      This player may have been reactivated in October 27th 2017
    • miech wrote:

The buff basically makes commandos my nr 1 pick to research on day 8 99 out of 100 times.

F. Marion wrote:

I cringe when I see Commandos making up more the 10% of any countries ground force.
      Exactly right, F. I have been on a months-long campaign to have a new in-game "elite" unit added, but strictly limited in numbers (airborne infantry regiment), and then we dramatically "buff" the existing commando battalion to make it dramatically stronger than a regular infantry regiment in all circumstances. Some of the same forum participants who vehemently oppose the addition of paratroopers, are applauding the up-powering of the commandos, with absolutely zero limitations on their numbers. If this modification of commandos is permanently implemented, I predict we are going to see the spamming of commando units, which in turn is going to create all of the various imbalances that many of our thinking players complain of. Using a commando battalion (600+ men) as a substitute for a regular infantry regiment (1,500+ men) in the battle line shows a demonstrable misunderstanding of the structure, purpose and relative strengths of both unit types. Any change in the commandos unit that makes it a more attractive unit for spamming is a horrendously bad idea. Wasn't the whole point of the changes made to light tank brigade and other tank units to make the light tank unit a less attractive subject for spamming at the expense of other armor units?
    • I think we all have our own opinions about the current update... yeah, it was certain to create some new unbalances right from the start, and yeah, this is probably one of them. Nonetheless, we should applaud the effort of balancing AT ALL. I hear the update "feels" very good (unfortunately I was wiped out of the test game in the first 12 hours myself), so why don't we let it sink in for a while before starting our next wave of criticism? ;)
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • Not much of a spam if only the capital can make them. This limitation (not very artificial one) as well as their terrain bonuses will keep them for commando uses, such as attacking important objectives and they should not be used across the front. The capital cannot keep up with the required production for front line units, however their strengths will make them sought after.
    • Chickenus wrote:

Not much of a spam if only the capital can make them.
      The most problematic of spamming is the gold-spamming of units. The gold-spammer only needs one industrial center if he is willing to shell out the shekels. In one recent game I played, the would-be winner had over 40 tactical bombers on Day 12 of the game. He had only one industrial center with a single L2 air base, and that was an L2 IC. You can do the math.
    • I agree with that Montana, yet I expect this problem to be fairly...uncommon.

Are the new Commandos OP? Perhaps they are, but as Roko pointed out lets first see how it actually works before we swing around the complaint hammer.

My first guess is that few things change regarding the commandos in random games, but for the more dedicated games like the PL or high level alliance games, people will see their impact.
    • miech wrote:

I agree with that Montana, yet I expect this problem to be fairly...uncommon.

Are the new Commandos OP? Perhaps they are, but as Roko pointed out lets first see how it actually works before we swing around the complaint hammer.

My first guess is that few things change regarding the commandos in random games, but for the more dedicated games like the PL or high level alliance games, people will see their impact.
      hey Miech.
      On PL... I have not seen you there recently...I Dare you to come back ;)