battle simulator?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• battle simulator?

Is there a place where I can calculate if i will win or lose? Because sometimes, it seems to be a complete (and wrong) guess.

I had 3 tanks, 1 armored car, and 1 infantry sent against 2 anti air and 5 infantry. His absolute strenght was higher, but because the stats favored me (armor is good against infantry) i'm losing now. I don't understand that. Why the heck is it so hard to predict the outcome of battle. What are the unit stats for, if they hardly mean something? If my tank has 2.0 against infantry, i suspect it can take on 2 infantry, but apparently, it can't. Someone to explain how this useless system acually works?!
    • The infantry might have better defending stats against tanks than the tanks have for attacking said infantry, explaining why you lost.

To answer your first question, no, there is no simulator right now and I doubt there will be one.

Forum ArmyField Marshall :00000441:

Mess with the Bill, you get the scorn!

• Your assumption of what the stats mean are not correct.
      Combat is somewhat more complex.

Every attacking units is paired to a defensive unit. And every defensive unit is paired to an attacking unit. These are not necesarily the same. Pairing is preferential-random (eg. AA will fire at aircraft, but it is not determined at wich one, if there is more than one in the battle).
      The attack value of your unit is compared to de defense value of the defending unit. This gives the odds of one unit damaging the other, in one round of combat. Odds, not certainty. There are 4 rounds per hour.

And you might be reading the stats wrong: wich tank has 2.0 vs infantry?

I completely agree a simulator would be VERY nice. But I wouldnt trust the outcome to be very accurate, if the odds are close. The random element can give you a nasty surprise.

A recent experience of mine: 7 medium bombers (lvl 3) attacked one destroyer (lvl 1). Thats 7 x 2.0 vs 1 x 2.0. In one hour, the destroyer shot down 3 of my bombers, and sailed away with some scrached paint.
      What if I'm indoctrinated and actually fighting the good guys?
    • But thats ridiculous right? Combat shouldn't resolved on the base of friggin' chance. What good are tactics then.

My light tanks do have 2 and 3 versus infantry, infantry only has 1.5 in defence, and AA does only have 1. So, my tanks in smaller numbers should crush infantry, but they don't! I hope this doesn't happen to often, or I'm done with the game till they implemented fair combat resolve. I mean, why not just follow the Total War system, which is just based on unit statistics...
    • I've played a lot of TW. Believe me, its also has some random element. If you play the same battle twice, it might have a diferent outcome. I allways play the importand ones myself, and not leave it to chance.

Assuming everything is lvl 2, your combat might look like this.

Attacker:
      1x AC vs infantry 2.0, vs AA 0.5;
      3x Light tanks vs infantry 3.0, vs AA 2.0;
      1x Infantry vs infantry 3.0, vs AA 1.0.

Defender:
      2x AA vs infantry 1.5, vs tanks 1.0;
      5x Infantry vs infantry 4.5, vs tanks 1.5;.

Round 1
      Att (14 vs inf): 90% to damage inf; def stack drops to 87% (7 units)
      Def (15 vs inf + 4 vs LT): kill 1 inf +30% dmg; att stack drops to 92% (4 units)

Round 2
      Att (11 vs inf): 70% dmg; stack drops to 77%
      Def (9.5 vs LT): 60% dmg; stack drops to 77%

Round 3
      Att (11 vs inf): 70% dmg; stack drops to 67%
      Def (9.5 vs LT): 60% dmg; stack drops to 62%

Round 4
      Att (11 vs inf): kill 1 inf; stack drops to 66% (6)
      Def (9.5 vs LT): kill 1 LT; stack stays at 62% (3)

Round 5
      Att (9 vs inf): 60% dmg; stack drops to 56%
      Def (8 vs LT): 50% dmg; stack drops to 46%

You see where this is going. You lose units more quickly, because you have less units to absorb the damage.

Same thing happens in total war. The biggest army wins, even if the average quality might be a little less.
      And this is just an example what happens on average. You might just have had bad luck.
    • If your units are better than your opponents, it also means every unit you lose will hurt you more.
      Thats why some people use a 'meatshield'. Expendable units to absorb the damage,so your army doesnt lose too much of its strength when taking a hit.

In your example, you do more damage every round. But only a little more. Not enough to tip the scales. In 3 hours time the defenders army will be halved, and yours will be dead. Not because its random.
    • Honestly by the setup your opponent had it almost seems he was in an urban area that a kind of area is bad against tanks for 2 reasons first they cut their strength in half then they cut their health in half.
      1 infantry defending an urban terrain against 1 light tank at the same level has exactly the same strength but the infantry has more health.
      I don't know how exactly the battle aspect works like but since you didn't specify the terrain the problem could be as simple as where you fight.