Unite the home front!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Unite the home front!

Dear Generals,

we hope you were able to adjust your tactics and strategies to the latest balancing changes, because the dogs of war do not sleep. A new scenario approaches us as fast as the M18 Hellcat, detected by our local spies. They have sent us a notice about the current situation in the field. Your support is needed.

“Civil War breaks loose! The American States declared their independence and North- and Central America are in disarray. We have to choose now, general: Which of the 50 states shall be the home base of our operation. We await your answer!

Map Information

- Fight in 3 different regions: USA, Canada and Latin America
      - 50 player countries with 25 provinces each
      - 5 urban, 12 resource producing provinces, 2 double productions, 50 victory points
      - 32 AI countries with 3-18 provinces of 3-14 victory points each
      - More accurate terrain than on older maps
      - Control 1664 victory points to win

Start your mission and use your armies to unite America. We hope you like this new addition to the Call of War map pool.

To unify the Call of War community, too, we started our own mission a while ago, which reaches its next milestone with this update. We will make all 40+ player maps ‘Join Only’. This means: Certain maps will be generated by the system and can’t be created by players.

Why?

Very often certain maps are created multiple times even though copies already exists. Those ghost maps stay on the server, but will never be played. By controlling the creation of maps we aim to increase the overall activity on our maps. The frequency of the map creation can be adjusted accordingly to the upcoming performance of the different maps. So feel free to give us feedback about their availability.

Which maps does it affect?

- The World of War 1932 - 100p map is already a Join Only map.
      - Additionally we add the Pacific Conquest - 50 player map into this category as well as the new America 1942: Homefront - 50 player map.
      - Future 40+ player maps will also be Join Only.

We hope you like this update. Feel free to give us feedback in the forum.
      Your Call of War Team
      Sarah / Sasri
      Ex-Community Manager
    • I get redirected to the homepage, Ive seen other with that complaint as well

@Akulla3D I see you are in my game. I fondly remember an exciting S1914 match where you beat me to a pulp, but it was still fun and I learned a lot from you back then in terms of original micromanaging.

Edit: you might remember it, I was Sweden and I had a whole bunch of Railguns to try and beat back your massive land superiority. Was so far the only time I used a railgun strategy and even though I lost, I thought it was quite effective.
    • Nice updates. I guess another option for game creation of certain games would be a time limit to fill game to certain percentage. Say 5 days to get to 50% or the game is auto-deleted. The advantage for players would be they could start these maps for special games, like the one Marc is doing, without having to jump through hoops. Just a thought, probably a bad one.
    • Just to be clear: players can no longer create 50-player Pacific map games, even ones that have the "start when full" option toggled, but Bytro's software can create a game on the same map and randomly "fill" half of its slots with raw rookies, most of whom drop out in the first 7 to 10 days? I'm not sure that's an improvement of the typical user's game experience, meine freunde.

I suggest you reconsider permitting users to create these games with the "start when full" option.

Thanks.

The post was edited 1 time, last by MontanaBB ().

• Hey guys.

Sadly the map wasn't fully release. It should be working now though. Please let me know if there are still games you are not able to join.

Regarding the map limitation, as mention this is only a first step. Before doing many adjustments at once we rather take one measurement after another to find the perfect solution for the problem and avoid having to roll back something because it doesn't out at the end. We track certain data to see what kind of impact our changes have and according to this we will adjust the map settings if necessary.
      Sarah / Sasri
      Ex-Community Manager
    • miech wrote:

You know, to filter out all the newbies for various reasons.
      Which would be a good idea for senior players for at least two reasons: (1) raise the level of competition for experienced gamers, and (2) increase the number of nominal players who actually stay in the game rather than merely joining it and dropping out shortly thereafter. Most experienced players crave real human competition, and this option would facilitate that.

It would probably also be a good idea for newer players as well, since one of the biggest reasons for newbies dropping out of COW altogether is getting massacred by more experienced players.

The post was edited 1 time, last by MontanaBB ().

• MontanaBB wrote:

Just to be clear: players can no longer create 50-player Pacific map games, even ones that have the "start when full" option toggled, but Bytro's software can create a game on the same map and randomly "fill" half of its slots with raw rookies, most of whom drop out in the first 7 to 10 days? I'm not sure that's an improvement of the typical user's game experience, meine freunde.

I suggest you reconsider permitting users to create these games with the "start when full" option.

Thanks.
      btw, the system puts new users only on the 22p map, so it does not fill the 50p map randomly with rookies. Guys joining there do it on their own.
      And regarding the players going inactive and hopping to new games too fast: This should also decrease with this change, as less new maps are available and players have to stick to the ones that are opened.

miech wrote:

@Sasri excellent, seems to be working now.

on another note (see also remark of DxC), when (if?) will we see the game option to have a minimum level requirement? You know, to filter out all the newbies for various reasons.
      Nothing to announce here yet. But it will be evaluated.
    • freezy wrote:

btw, the system puts new users only on the 22p map, so it does not fill the 50p map randomly with rookies. Guys joining there do it on their own.
      Perhaps so, Freezy, but then there seem to have been a lot of very junior players joining the 50-player map games, and they were typically the first ones to go inactive. The "starts when full" option seems to have attracted more experienced players, and more players who stayed active longer. Your mileage may vary.

UPDATE for @freezy: I just looked at the player information for the first 50-player Pacific map game listed. There are 25 players, the first 7 of whom are L1 to L11 "privates" whose collective prior game experience consists of 104 captured provinces. That's massacre bait for experienced players, and a perfect example of low-level newbies who could/should be excluded using the experienced-player option suggested above by @miech.

The post was edited 3 times, last by MontanaBB ().

• Sasri wrote:

To unify the Call of War community, too, we started our own mission a while ago, which reaches its next milestone with this update. We will make all 40+ player maps ‘Join Only’. This means: Certain maps will be generated by the system and can’t be created by players.

Why?

Very often certain maps are created multiple times even though copies already exists. Those ghost maps stay on the server, but will never be played. By controlling the creation of maps we aim to increase the overall activity on our maps. The frequency of the map creation can be adjusted accordingly to the upcoming performance of the different maps. So feel free to give us feedback about their availability.
      @Sasri Interesting reaction, I joined a 50 player Homefront last night on day 0. Apparently not enough people are filling in to launch the game in a timely maner. Here are two reactions in the WH of that game.

By the way that happens to be a FP game, which may have something to do with it.
      "A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week." - General George S. Patton, Jr.

"Do, or do not. There is no try" - Yoda