Unit tracking

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Unit tracking

Currently to determine how many of a given unit you have, you are required to click on each unit stack and physically count how many are in each stack and then sum the totals. In addition sometimes units get lost, especially on larger maps where a unit can be sent off and eventually forgotten. So how can we more easily keep track of units? I will suggest several options from basic to more advanced:

1. On the research tree place a number in the lower left corner of each unit icon indicating the number produced to date with a slash followed by the # being produced. This would allow a player to quickly see they have x of something, though they may not know where they all are, and how many are under production.

2. On the Province list a column could be added to show the total number of units in the province. This adds the ability to click on the province and go there. Downside are units at sea or units in other players provinces that would not show up on this type of fix, but it would utilize existing programming versus below which would require something very new.

3. A new screen that lists the Army Designation (We can see this already in the trade screen when we are offering an Army up for trade), Province Name/Sea Name, followed by Army Stack composition. As on the province screen you should be able to click on the Army Designation line and have the map center on the unit.

Example: A3 - Hanover - 3 Inf, 1 AA, 1 AT, 2 LtT (clicking on this line would center the map on Hanover, Germany)

4. A combination of both 1 and 3 above: This would allow the player to look at the overall composition (1) and quickly see where they need to adjust production, or look at the granular detail (3) and be able to quickly navigate to remote stacks.
      "A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week." - General George S. Patton, Jr.

"Do, or do not. There is no try" - Yoda
    • Peter Mat wrote:

3. A new screen that lists the Army Designation (We can see this already in the trade screen when we are offering an Army up for trade), Province Name/Sea Name, followed by Army Stack composition. As on the province screen you should be able to click on the Army Designation line and have the map center on the unit.
      I like this idea. A separate "tab" that works similar to the province list, but for units. A column for each unit type, and numbers of each in every stack, with maybe a total at the bottom.

It would be cool to be able to sort the stacks by unit type, same way that you can select "intrastructure" or whatever building and have the list sort from highest to lowest by that building type.

It would be even better if you could select multiple stacks there the same way that you can select multiple provinces and give combined orders.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • @Peter Mat & @VorlonFCW: Anything that helps keep track of isolated units on the bigger maps would be helpful. I've had almost 1,000 units in play on the 50-player Pacific map across several hundred provinces -- plus the wide Pacific Ocean. It's not hard to "lose" a unit or two, especially submarine and conventional infantry units, which have small icons and can be overshadowed by surrounding graphics. I usually keep a running count of my units by type, and when I can't find one, and I can't reconcile my totals with that provided on the country information card, I've been known to spend several hours hunting down my lost sheep.
    • A definitely agree with the 'unit list' idea that would be similar to the Province List that we have today. This has been suggested previously and I hope it is implemented sooner rather than later.

Until then, here is how I find these small units that get lost on maps. I expand the map to see as much area as possible, then use the right mouse and draw a circle around the map. That will show all units I have in that circled area, and then I can march them toward the front if I choose.
    • A nice feature that I would like along with this 'unit list tab" is the ability to renumber an army to change it's "callsign". I understand that using words would be challenging to implement, but how about the ability to change the designation of a stack from "23rd light tank division" to "101st light tank division"? No change to what unit identifies a stack, but just the number that it uses.

That way a player could know that things like units 91 through 99 are for homeland defense. Units starting with "10x" would be front line units, maybe units "12x" would be bombers, and so on.

Right now this doesn't matter as there is no way to search for a unit or stack by it's designation, but once you have this handy unit list that you can sort by name or location it would be cool to be able to organize it.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW

• ... I have to agree with this. It's a pain to go and find the individual units that are bound to be scattered about when you forget to grab one. I've never gotten far in the 50+ player maps, but I even had problems keeping track of units when using the Blitz map, back about a year ago, when it still had ludicrious amounts of resources, and was building about 10 tanks(medium, light, SPG, etc) every 12 hours, or something along those lines. Eventually I just started building tons of rockets because I ran out of manpower to build the tanks and infantry. It's very hard to keep track of which units are where when you have about 200 individual units deployed, and that's on just any map. But yeah, having a tab so you can sort through your vehicles and organize them into actual battle units that have a structure to them, and find units that are left over and putting them to other uses, and so on. Also, renaming units(numbers, mostly, but possibly the designation as well if for example the unit is designated as a light tank army when it mostly consists of other units, such as infantry, and serves a role that primarily uses the other units in it) and naming out ships..? But yeah, having a tab for the units would be really good.
    • Thanks for the suggestion.

There is a fast workaround:

- You can just doubleclick on a stack while zoomed out to automatically select all the units of that type plus all other unitds that are in these stacks. Hold down shift and do it again for more stacks in case you did not get all of them with the first double click. Then you can count the number in the army bar.
      - you can also hold right mouse button and draw a circle around the whole map, this also selects all units.
    • I don't think that all of these suggestions, albeit generally good, would adress the problem.

#1 is useful, but would be more of a general advice on what to research. It does not adress finding lost units.

#2 is in my mind the worse, as if you can click on a province, then typically you can also see the units there.

#3 is certainly the best. Nevertheless, finding a unit will generally already unable you to find where it is located and its overall strength.

---

My suggestion rather is to add on to the CTRL+F function. The only current way to find a unit is to type in its code, eg EO 45. You should rather also be able to type in : Rocket, and find every rocket you have. This would greatly help you find a unit which you know you have, but are not sure where it is.
    • WayneBo wrote:

. . . an Order of Battle menu . . .
      Now, you're talking, WB. That's what I want: an order of battle menu. Unit name/number, present strength/condition, present location, and ideally, a list of sub-units by type for each multi-unit stack/formation.

If there's any possibility of actually doing this, let's do it right. It should be comparable to the provincial management menu.
    • I haven't read through all this yet, but perhaps a quick alternative (as opposed to a whole new menu etc) for locating distant units would be to have a simple graphic to highlight selected units, perhaps with the ability to toggle such a display. Range units are already pretty easy to locate because when you zoom out and double click you can see their range circle. Perhaps a toggle to show selected melee units in flashing green or something would be a reasonable compromise that would be relatively easy to implement.

edit: I guess it already does pop-up the flag and and a line leading to position of the selected melee unit, which does highlight them, but this can be a little hard to notice at times.

The post was edited 1 time, last by DxC ().

• WayneBo wrote:

t is also possible to click on a unit and use the arrow keys to back/forward thru the numerical list of unit IDs
      This is actually bugged pretty bad. The list of stacks correspond to the list when you logged into the game not the current set of units. So if you have been fighting with stack A 66 and lost units and morale, the arrow toggle doesn't show the current stack but what the stack looked like when you last logged into game. I reported this a long time ago.

Besides fixing that, another nice feature would be if the arrow list was ordered by distance from the stack you start with. I normally use this with planes that are too clustered to click but often it jumps to some random stack far away.
    • WayneBo wrote:

it is also possible to click on a unit and use the arrow keys to back/forward thru the numerical list of unit IDs.
      Now that is handy. Like you said kinda tedious, but if a person could re-number stacks so you could have say all of the units in a certain theatre being numerically next to each other that could be slick.

WayneBo wrote:

Order of Battle menu
      Perfect name for it. :thumbsup:

VorlonFCW

• DxC wrote:

I haven't read through all this yet, but perhaps a quick alternative (as opposed to a whole new menu etc) for locating distant units would be to have a simple graphic to highlight selected units, perhaps with the ability to toggle such a display. Range units are already pretty easy to locate because when you zoom out and double click you can see their range circle. Perhaps a toggle to show selected melee units in flashing green or something would be a reasonable compromise that would be relatively easy to implement.
      A feature of modern windows operating systems is a cursor locator that gives a shrinking circle over the mouse pointer when the CTRL button is pressed. Maybe something similar with like the spacebar key when pressed will center on and indicate the selected army or province.

VorlonFCW