Atomic blast radius

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• The radius. Applies to all bomber levels and the rocket.
      So if you take the circle of a Lvl 1 artillery (60 km radius) as indicator, you can easy compare the safe area.

I don't consider it's too much for the game - you know, it's not a simulation, just a simplified board game ... :00008185:

Browser games are an ingenious business idea to lure out money ..
      ..... >> more or less cleverly camouflaged as a real game <<
      .... .. so beware of caltrops, spring-guns and booby traps. :00008185:
      Warning! Texts above this signature may contain traces of irony! :D
    • Indirectly yes.
      I remember, however, when there are less targets for the damage energy at the center of the impact, then units (targets) that are further outside will receive more damage.

But my last more comprehensive atom tests I've made over a year ago. Therefore this information is without guarantee now.

Browser games are an ingenious business idea to lure out money ..
      ..... >> more or less cleverly camouflaged as a real game <<
      .... .. so beware of caltrops, spring-guns and booby traps. :00008185:
      Warning! Texts above this signature may contain traces of irony! :D
    • Restrisiko wrote:

But my last more comprehensive atom tests I've made over a year ago. Therefore this information is without guarantee now.
      I have not used nuclear missiles since the end of last summer, and then I was scoring direct hits on large, stationary mixed stacks to maximum effect -- vaporizing 20-25 units, and significantly damaging that many more. I was lucky and also caught a couple of big tactical bomber wings while they were refueling -- nothing like watching almost 30 squadrons go * poof *. I also landed a couple of near misses on moving enemy stacks that only killed a handful of units and did mostly superficial damage to the rest. I've also used nuclear missiles to good effect against large, non-moving stacks of capital ships.

Now, I'm in a game where half or more of the active players have nukes of one kind or both, and I am potentially on the receiving end, so I am trying to practice "tactical dispersion" of my units to minimize casualties from any enemy nuke strikes on my formations. Hence my questions about blast radius . . . I am trying to space my formations of 4 and 5 units at a safe distance one from another so that one nuke strike cannot damage more than one formation. Nukes are expensive, and I am trying to avoid presenting attractive "big stack" formations as targets. I am also keeping my squadrons in the air, and most of my air, ground and naval units on the move. A lot of this is common sense, but it's important to understand mechanics like blast radius, etc. . . .
    • Montanna, if you join the western coalition in that game, supply drops will not occur in provinces on the western half of the board where your units are. Therefore no one should have reason to drop a nuke on your head,
      "A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week." - General George S. Patton, Jr.

"Do, or do not. There is no try" - Yoda
    • Don't forget that atomic blasts also affect units in the air. There is no real reason why you should have 30+ units either refuelling or on the ground, so that should be okay.

Nevertheless, the biggest risk is your air units being hit while flying. As a general rule, if your aircraft are flying in the province targeted, you are dead 95%. Just keep that in mind.

PS. Yes that sadly comes from experience
    • darksoul111 wrote:

There is no real reason why you should have 30+ units either refuelling or on the ground . . . .
      I know that from experience, DS. Fortunately, I also know that it is far better to give than to receive.

And I learned the trick of catching refueling aircraft units on the ground long before my first experience with nuclear weapons -- both with attacking aircraft and conventional rockets. But when you can catch a refueling big wing with a well-timed nuclear rocket, the results can be truly devastating.
    • Overnight, I had occasion to experiment with nuclear missiles for the first time since last summer or fall. The stated blast radius of 50 km appears to be correct, @Restrisiko. I had two commando battalions about 35 to 40 km from the blast epicenter which were destroyed. Not damaged, but vaporized. If the damage abates further from the epicenter, it was not immediately apparent.