Armored car wave?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Armored car wave?

IS this an effective tactic? My ally is using large numbers of armored cars, backed up with anti-tank and infantry and supported by tac bombers, hitting over a wide area. The screenshot green in the screenshot is him. I know that l-tank spamming looks similar but he has no gold. I think he is using cars because they are cheaper and faster then light tanks. Now, is this a legit tactic, or am I watching a noob get lucky?
      Images
      • CarWave.PNG

1.29 MB, 969×590, viewed 1,761 times
    • Gitargy wrote:

Now, is this a legit tactic, or am I watching a noob get lucky?
      You are, in fact, "watching a noob get lucky."

Infantry combined with anti-tank regiments should massacre individual armored car brigades, especially if the AC units attack on unfavorable terrain such as cities, where their strength and hit points are reduced by 50%.

I assume this is very early in the game, before light tanks and tactical bombers are available, correct?

• Gitargy wrote:

Mid game, Day 15.
      You're watching a noob get very lucky.

On Day 8, both L2 light tank brigades and L2 tactical bomber squadrons are available. An individual L2 LT unit has a 4:1 advantage against an individual armored car brigade (2.0 vs. 0.5). Level 2 TB units are not yet great against armored units, including AC brigades, but AC units have almost no defense against air attacks.
    • Gitargy wrote:

My ally is using large numbers of armored cars, backed up with anti-tank and infantry and supported by tac bombers
      If you have air superiority over the battlefield, then using tac bombers effectively on all enemy units and then capturing vacant provinces with armored cars is a viable strategy, at least until the opponent builds anti air and makes the map look like a porcupine. Then you need heavier armor.

The shortcoming of this strategy is how fast can you build airbases to maintain the advance. Also in the attached picture your ally does not have a support army coming along. AC's have their uses, but at some point you need some artillery and antiair to go with the anti-tank units that he has.

Now in the attached picture I presume your ally captured Salmon the day prior and built an airbase. Once the airbase was active the radius was cleared of enemy units with tac bombers and then the province centers were swept with the armored cars. Armored cars are the fastest, so they can grab a province and run back away from any other enemy unit except tac bombers. Enemy units trying to advance can get picked off with bombers again. Build an airbase in Harper and pierre and advance some heavier armor to those two points. Repeat that tomorrow.

This is not a strategy that I would call foolproof, but it can gain lightly defended ground in a hurry. It does require fairly close supervision. You need to know when to turn tail and run from an enemy unit to preserve your armored car for the next battle.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<