Length of Games

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Length of Games

So I know a game will end if someone gains a certain amount of control points but are the games timed? Such as if someone doesn't achieve that goal within a year or something, are the games an massive amount of time until someone finally wins? Or is it like 2 years or something. Does a game have something like that a timer?
    • When there are 3 active humans or less, if all the remaining players agree, then the game can be retired.
      If there are 3 or more active humans, a game could go on for a very long time if they don't choose to reitre. A lot depends on whether the remaining players are well-balanced or one or more players have a good lead. If the game can be reduced to two players, one of them will normally reach the required number of victory points.
      If there are 2 active players, one of them will get the required number of victory points unless they waste energy fighting each other.
    • In theory yes. In practice, that never happens. People get bored and just don't log in anymore, so they go inactive.
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • Exactly. In my experience, 60-day games are rare.
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • Lawrence Czl wrote:

i have yet to see anyone get the required VPs within 60 days.
      Huh? I've played ten games on the 22-player European map -- i.e., the basic map where all newbies start -- and I have only twice seen a game on that map last longer than 60 days. In one case, the two surviving players were allies who were experimenting with new weapons technology; in the second case, it was a "friendly game" being played to accumulate elite-level weapons blueprints, not for the win. I have never seen a competitive game on the 22-player map last longer than 60 days, and in fact, most of them were over in 35 to 45 days.

That said, it is not unusual for games played on the larger 50- and 100-player maps to continue for 90 or more days, and in some cases, for several months.

If you haven't seen anyone win a 22-player game in fewer than 60 days, that would be the exception.
    • I seem to get in a lot of long 22 player games. Some of them are where there were 4 players left. So at least one of them had to be eliminated.
      I'm in a game at Day 51 in a 22 player game. There were 3 players left with no alliances. Number 1 has 425 VPs. I have 424 VPs. I've been slowly gobbling up number 3 player who is down to 69 provinces.