Medium bombers question

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Medium bombers question

Hello CoW team,

someone was telling me that medium bomber squadrons do more damage if grouped together with 6-8 bombers compared to let's say 12 bombers in one squadron, is that True?

Your bomber squadrons would actually do less damage with more plans in them?

Or is this guy just joking with me? Lol. ?(
    • No, Peachez, he is not "joking with you."

You need to read the threads regarding "SBDE" ---- i.e. state based damage efficiency. It's an important game dynamic to understand, and it should affect your game tactics.

For starters, see this thread:

> > > > State based damage efficiency < < < <

For all aircraft units, the maximum efficient size is 5 squadrons of any given aircraft type in a single stack (a.k.a. a "wing"). For the sixth or seventh tactical bomber added to the wing, the offensive strength that the additional unit adds to the stack is less than 100% of the potential offensive strength of the added unit by itself -- and the additional strength added to the stack declines with each additional squadron added. If you have ever taken an economics course in high school or university, then you will recognize the concept as diminishing marginal return or diminishing marginal utility.

The post was edited 2 times, last by MontanaBB ().

• For ease of reference, I have re-posted the list of SBDE maximums for each unit type as originally posted in the SBDE thread linked above:

i. Aircraft – Interceptor – 5
      ii. Aircraft – Naval Bomber - 5
      iii. Aircraft – Strategic bomber – 5
      iv. Aircraft – Tactical bomber - 5
      v. Anti air – 8
      vi. Anti air – SP – 6
      vii. Anti tank – 8
      viii. Artillery - 8
      ix. Artillery – SP – 6
      x. Armored car – 8
      xi. Infantry – Commandos - 8
      xii. Infantry – Infantry – 8
      xiii. Infantry – Mechanized - 6
      xiv. Infantry - militia - 11
      xv. Infantry – motorized - 8
      xvi. Naval - Battleships – 3
      xvii. Naval – Carriers – 3
      xviii. Naval – Cruiser – 5
      xix. Naval – destroyer - 7
      xx. Naval – submarines – 8
      xxi. Tank - destroyer – 5
      xxii. Tank – heavy – 5
      xxiii. Tank – light - 6
      xxiv. Tank – medium - 5
      xxv. Aircraft - Rocket fighter - 5
      xxvi. Railroadgun - 3

This SBDE list by unit type was originally developed by user BRDubbs and re-posted at the linked thread by user WildL SPQR. All credit for the list accrues to them, not me.
    • The flip side of the SBDE numbers is the added hitpoint values when you stack a lot together. For example when hitting something that will inflict a lot of damage back on your planes there is safety in numbers. If you have say 6 tac bombers and 6 interceptors and 6 strategic bombers grouped together then the 6 hit points damage will be spread amongst all of them, rather than seriously damaging one plane out of a small group.

But I did have a guy attack me in my current game with 32 tac bombers in one stack. That seemed to do very little damage, or maybe he missed. Out of a stack of 12 units I had including 4 antiair he maybe did 5% damage across the stack with the 32 bombers. When he returned he had 4 groups of 8 and my armor started disappearing. Of course I managed to kill a couple of his planes once he did that.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<