Question about newspaper statistics

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Question about newspaper statistics

Hello team,

Sorry to have so many questions lately...

In the newspaper it shows your losses when your at war with a country.

My question is how does the game factor those statistics for the losses the newspaper say your country has lost?

I've been at war with Madagascar for several days now in my game and I've been storming through his country. I have lost zero units since landing on the his island nation and he has lost Several units maybe 5 to 6 to my air and land units. I looked on the newspaper and every story says my units destroyed his, and his units were lost, again none of my units were destroyed, only lower moral.

But the newspaper says my country's losses went from 17,600 3 days ago (no units lost), To 20,000 2 days ago (no units lost), to 23,??? Today (again no units lost). Why does this number keep rising so fast when I'm not loosing units?

If none of my units are being completely destroyed, why does the newspaper report I am losing so many men?

Thank you for your support guys! Keep up the great work! :thumbup: :beer:
    • medhat_2000 wrote:

I'm not sure about this but I think it counts civilian loses too[.]
      No. It does not.

If you keep track of the units you destroy, the casualties count is an exact tally of the men of those units -- while accounting for the destroyed units' percentage combat effectiveness at the time of their destruction. It also accounts for any men added to the unit as a result of the so-called unit "healing" process by which a partially damaged unit receives reinforcements, which means if a unit is not completely destroyed before the next daily update, it may suffer more than 100% casualties across two or more days.

FYI, one of the simplifications/abstractions from reality inherent in COW is that there are no civilian casualties recognized.
    • MontanaBB wrote:

medhat_2000 wrote:

No. It does not.
      If you keep track of the units you destroy, the casualties count is an exact tally of the men of those units -- while accounting for the destroyed units' percentage combat effectiveness at the time of their destruction. It also accounts for any men added to the unit as a result of the so-called unit "healing" process by which a partially damaged unit receives reinforcements, which means if a unit is not completely destroyed before the next daily update, it may suffer more than 100% casualties across two or more days.

FYI, one of the simplifications/abstractions from reality inherent in COW is that there are no civilian casualties recognized.
      All right, thanks, good to know
      And btw I noticed that the population of provinces decrease during war, though it is not important for gameplay
    • MontanaBB wrote:

medhat_2000 wrote:

No. It does not.

But once I hit an empty city with a rocket and it recorded a bit more than 2k casualties