Whisper Feature

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Whisper Feature

Should Call of War add a feature that allows players to PM other players who aren't active in chat already? 10
        No... Leave it like it is already (7) 70%
        Yes... With this feature I can finally achieve WORLD DOMINATION (2) 20%
        Maybe... I like the idea but not sure I would use it much (1) 10%
      I know that this game already has a PM feature but I think it needs some upgrades. I also know that the game has a message feature both in-game and under the community tab. I am not interested in using either of those for different reasons. The in-game messages can be easily intercepted, making them useless. The Community tab messages just takes to much time away from the game and the other players sometimes don't know about this feature, which means your messages go into a blackhole and you never receive a response back. Usually because the recipient doesn't even know your trying to contact him while he is playing.

For this reason I would like to see some upgrades to the PM feature. At the moment, you can only PM someone who is active in a chat room. You currently have to click on their name tag and click whisper, but you can only do this, if the person has first said something in chat. I think this is flawed. Sometimes I know someone is online and I want to message them really quickly and privately but I can't because they haven't said anything in a chat session. For this reason, I think we should have a option to PM someone who isn't active in chat.

Some chat servers use a code something like this

<whisper> Name Here ( MESSAGE)

:thumbsup: If you give me this feature, I can finally achieve world domination :thumbsup:

Seriously though, I'd like to know everyone else's thoughts. :huh:
      Let me and the CALL OF WAR staff know by participating in the poll.
    • Intercepting messages is a part of the game that is realistic, have you heared of project magic? it was used to intercept japanese messages, it uncoded the message that led to the pearl harbor attack, but was too slow to stop the attack. players could use the whisper feature to talk about battle plans, with no risk of getting intercepted
      :unfair:
      Forum Gang Mascot
      Girls game too

dxcalc.com/cow
    • Sir McSquiggles,

I acknowledge that whispers can sometimes go unnoticed but I seem to notice whispers more often than a community message while I am in-game. I know I don't represent the rest of the COW population but I suspect most other players notice whispers in-game more often than community messages. Just my opinion. I will check to see if the /whisper command works.

Injinji,

I agree intercepting messages are a part of the game. The problem for me is that messages are to easily intercepted so it makes it impossible to game plan with other players. Also with your argument, the Community messages skirts the argument your trying to make. A whisper function would be no different than a community message function with the exception that it would be much faster and more noticeable. At least IMO.
    • You're really just looking for a much easier way to get around a game mechanic :(
      Diplomacy messages are easy to use, but can be intercepted. Messages on the community (main site) are harder to use, but more secure. If an easy way for players to work around the spy functions was offered, it would destroy the purpose of having the spy functions. In reality, you're trying to take away a nice game feature, that adds depth to maps.
      Free Time looks good on me
    • Have to agree with WiseOdin here. The game already provides many ways to contact someone, it doesn't need a unnecessary change to one that is already available, and actually already has the function to do so. If you know they are active, just send a chat whisper directed at them with the command /whisper, which automatically sends a whisper to them if they are indeed active. IIRC format is /whisper username(might have @ in front.) message. But besides that, I see no reason for it to message inactive players... Not that it could. Chat doesn't retain any information besides the first 20 in the more universal chats, such as in-game and global.
    • NovaTopaz wrote:

Have to agree with WiseOdin here. The game already provides many ways to contact someone, it doesn't need a unnecessary change to one that is already available, and actually already has the function to do so. If you know they are active, just send a chat whisper directed at them with the command /whisper, which automatically sends a whisper to them if they are indeed active. IIRC format is /whisper username(might have @ in front.) message. But besides that, I see no reason for it to message inactive players... Not that it could. Chat doesn't retain any information besides the first 20 in the more universal chats, such as in-game and global.
      Im not talking about it messaging inactive players. Im talking about a whisper function like your talking about /whisper. The is no /whisper function. Im ok with the in game messaging if it wasn't so easily intercepted. The way it is now, you place two spies in intended province and within the week you will likely uncover any grand scheme your enemy may have. In my opinion it is a game mechanic that is broke but maybe its just me that feels like it is entirely to easy to intercept messages.
    • I like to fill the regular messages with chitchat. Weather, sports, past games, etc. I enjoy feeling like people waste their spies to capture a message from me like:

"Good morning, how are things in the great state of Wyoming today?"

And if I do use it for anything strategic I split key information into two messages or more if possible. Time in one message, cardinal direction in another. It is also fun to say one thing and do another, just to confuse people.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • XmawdustX wrote:

The way it is now, you place two spies in intended province and within the week you will likely uncover any grand scheme your enemy may have.
      Yes. This is an intended feature. In all reality, you just want the feature to be removed.

The spies are there to add another dimension to the game. Not knowing, how much of your plans the enemy might know. Sure, it would be easier without such a feature. Most people play games to be challenged. Most people also appreciate all of the features in the game. It rounds things out, makes it a more interesting fight, every time, because of the unknowing you face.
      Free Time looks good on me
    • WiseOdin wrote:

The spies are there to add another dimension to the game. Not knowing, how much of your plans the enemy might know. Sure, it would be easier without such a feature. Most people play games to be challenged. Most people also appreciate all of the features in the game. It rounds things out, makes it a more interesting fight, every time, because of the unknowing you face.
      I won't play with allies who use the in-game communications system for anything other than chit-chat. For any operational planning and coordination ---- and especially coordinated offensives and defenses ---- I insist on using either COW non-game email, or regular non-COW email. I have had allies who have also used various non-COW instant messengers. I neither want nor need the challenge of trying to figure out how much of my communications with other players is being intercepted.