Disband unit option!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Disband unit option!

Good Idea?? 35
        Yes! (25) 71%
        No (10) 29%
      Please add a disband unit option!

Ok everyone knows how frustrating it is when you accidentally build a naval vessel in a land locked body of water, or you invested heavy into infrantry and light thanks but would like to build other units like heavy tanks but you don't have food or fuel to spare you could disband your other (weaker) units in order to afford stronger units.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Peachez: Changed subject title ().

• Possible features of this functionality:

Version A – „Disband immediately” (easy solution)

• Unit is disbanded immediately, no resources are refunded
      • Unit can be disbanded at any place in the map
      • It is not possible disband the unit that is in the fight
      • Disbanded unit is not counted as a “loss” in the player statistics

Version B – “Recycle” (more complicated solution)
      • Unit is recycled and some amount of resources are refunded (cca 50% ???)
      • Recycling of a certain type of unit is possible in the every province that can produce this type of unit.
      • It is not possible recycle the unit that is in the fight
      • Recycled unit is not counted as a “loss” in the player statistics
      • Recycling may cost some time
      • Province may not be able to produce any unit during the recycling phase
    • Well this is such a loogical option, but it still isn't implemented... so there must be a reason for it, which is prolly because it is not very easy from a programming point of view. And to be honest, it isn't very important either - sure there are some cases where it is usefull, but those are pretty edgy. Most of us don't build units to scrap them.
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • petrorix_cz wrote:

It should be natural and logical option for the player to disband units that are no longer needed.
      You know, I've seen this idea raised a number of times in the year and a half that I've been contributing to the COW Forum. I've never participated in those disband/recycle discussions (that I can recall), perhaps because I just haven't felt that strongly about it. That said, failing to properly budget your oil and food consumption and/or over-producing certain unit types are rookie mistakes and traps for the unwary into which many players are ensnared. (And sadly, it would seem many if not most players never learn to properly budget their daily consumables, oil and food.) There should be a logical solution that does not involve intentionally sacrificing your own units to balance your resource consumption and production, and achieve a better unit mix.

As for "recycling" resources used to produce disbanded units, I am open to it, but I would suggest that oil and food used to produce units would have been 100% consumed during the production process, so there would be no oil or food to reclaim. Some small fraction of goods might be reclaimed and re-used, perhaps representing uniforms, small arms, etc., but goods are rarely in short supply by the middle phase of the game anyway. The real potential for recycling resource inputs would be metals, which in a WW2 context would be principally steel, aluminum, copper and brass, as well as other metals used in steel alloys for armor and engines. Most of these were and are readily recycled, and I would support recycling of 50 to 75% of the metal inputs into disbanded units (further reduced, of course, by percentage damage at the time the unit is disbanded).

Manpower could be recycled at a much higher percentage ---- say 75 to 80%, representing healthy soldiers who were retrained for their new units.

The post was edited 2 times, last by MontanaBB ().

• K.Rokossovski wrote:

Well this is such a logical option, but it still isn't implemented... so there must be a reason for it, which is prolly because it is not very easy from a programming point of view.
      I am under the impression that there is some sort of unit disbanding and resource recycling function incorporated into Conflict of Nations ---- is that correct?

I fully recognize the programming complications that may be involved, but there may already be a how-to road map available to the developers.
    • Chickenus wrote:

Anyone who is against this idea needs to takeover a game as Canada on day 30 from the AI, who has built the world's strongest navy on the Great Lakes.
      I saw that in a game last December. Both AI Canada and AI United States had 6 or 7 level 6 battleships each, plus cruisers, steaming back and forth on Lake Erie and Lake Ontario. It was late in the game when I was finishing off North America, so I just brought up the last 3 or 4 of my nuclear rockets . . . . those capital ships were sitting ducks, with nowhere to run. One of the stranger AI behaviors I've ever witnessed.
    • Chickenus wrote:

It is like -600 oil, and there is nothing you can do to solve the problem.
      Well, no, not when you build more powered units than you can afford the daily oil upkeep to sustain. Ditto overbuilding units you cannot afford to feed. Of course, that's why we're discussing a "unit disbandment" option, with or without some level of resource reclamation/recycling.

Chickenus wrote:

There is not enough oil in the world to satisfy both the canadian navy and the army
      Actually, Canada and the Northern States of America are natural allies. Canada has two oil provinces and the equivalent of three rare materials provinces (1 double, 1 single), but horrible food production (1 single). The northern States have two strong ocean-side food provinces, but mediocre oil production (1 land-locked single). Both have strong metals production. Collectively, they can produce a lot more resources as allies than either can by taking over the other, and thereby sustain a larger American-Canadian allied army for an invasion of Europe and/or Africa.

That still requires the two allies to properly budget their daily oil and food production for unit upkeep, however.

The post was edited 1 time, last by MontanaBB ().

• My Idea:

When you can disband unit:
      -When not in combat
      -Has to be in a province controlled by you

-No resources returned
      -Does not count as a unit loss

Reassign:
      -Breaks the unit apart, but you get all your manpower back
      -Ships you can get some of your oil and iron back.
      -Only can be done in a province with moral greater than 40
      -Unit can't have less then 10 condition points.
    • Ciladen W wrote:

Why does this still not exist?

Ciladen W wrote:

Seriously, why is this not a thing? Even if it returns nothing.
      Because, without this feature there is a greater strategic challenge - manage when, where and why you should build which units best, makes the game sophisticated - and, fortunately, most players still love a challenging game. :thumbup:

Browser games are an ingenious business idea to lure out money ..
      ..... >> more or less cleverly camouflaged as a real game <<
      .... .. so beware of caltrops, spring-guns and booby traps. :00008185:
      Warning! Texts above this signature may contain traces of irony! :D