Limiting Building Damage

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Limiting Building Damage

Let's say that a city is completely undefended. Is there a "best" way to prevent it becoming damaged when capturing it?

For example, would it be better to send:
      a) 1 tank
      b) 6 tanks
      c) 1 infantry
      d) 6 infantry
      e) 6 tanks + 6 infantry...etc.
      f) 1 anti-air
      g) 1 militia

I think I just answered my own question on accident. I think the answer would be G as militia have no damage against cities. Anti-air would be next best have the smallest damage to cities. Am I correct in my thinking?

Is there an even better way?

Does anyone out there use militia like this? I still doubt their usefulness due to being so ridiculously slow. Anti-air have the same problem. So, what's the best solution?
    • I'll sometimes use an AA to capture an undefended prov, but the damage to buildings from any unit in a single round is pretty small compared to the damage done by the capture itself. Therefore, unless it's convenient, it's probably not worth the trouble, as there is no way to avoid the random damage that occurs when you capture.
    • wmeler wrote:

I see--so the capture itself wields damage. Explains my constant frustration.
      Yup. Unless the province flips via rebellion; then, weirdly, there is sometimes no damage and provincial morale is always several time higher.

DxC wrote:

I'll sometimes use an AA to capture an undefended prov, but the damage to buildings from any unit in a single round is pretty small compared to the damage done by the capture itself.
      Notwithstanding the varying anti-building strengths of different unit types (e.g., 0.0 for militia, 1.0 for L6 infantry, 1.5 for L5 medium tanks, 3.0 for L3 SP artillery), I've never been able to find any combination of units or any individual unit type that reduces damage on capture of industrial complexes or infrastructure. I gave up trying a long time ago. If militia were some kind of magic capture-buildings-but-inflict-no-damage unit, I would actually produce some of them.

I guess it should go without saying that stand-off weapons systems, such as artillery, bombers and rockets, also inflict damage to buildings before their capture.
    • I think the game should do something about this as it's really annoying having to rebuild everything after trying every possible way to minimise building damage, I have been on many forums and about 70% agree with me. In my opinion a smart thing to do would to give militia the ability to capture undefended provinces without causing building damage. I thought that was the case so i would ways days worth of hours waiting to move militia between provinces, only to find out that building damage when capturing is a random process. Please change this!!!!!!
    • MontanaBB wrote:

I guess it should go without saying that stand-off weapons systems, such as artillery, bombers and rockets, also inflict damage to buildings before their capture.
      I agree ... I hate to be on a roll thru a large nation, like Russia in a historical map, and have to slow down my ground troops trying to figure out which one causes less damage ... :thumbup:

Dboy2806 wrote:

I thought that was the case so i would ways days worth of hours waiting to move militia between provinces, only to find out that building damage when capturing is a random process. Please change this!!!!!!
      Ditto! ... :thumbup:
    • Dboy2806 wrote:

I think the game should do something about this as it's really annoying having to rebuild everything after trying every possible way to minimise building damage, I have been on many forums and about 70% agree with me. In my opinion a smart thing to do would to give militia the ability to capture undefended provinces without causing building damage. I thought that was the case so i would ways days worth of hours waiting to move militia between provinces, only to find out that building damage when capturing is a random process. Please change this!!!!!!

On the other hand many players wish for a way to destroy buildings before abandoning a province during a retreat.

I see no reason that you should expect a completely functioning city just free for the taking because you stroll through and change the name on the sign out front.

I believe the current system is a good balance for both sides.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<