Convoys vulnerable to land units?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Ground or aircraft units that are disembarking from an ocean convoy are vulnerable to attack by enemy aircraft units, naval units (including submarines), ranged artillery of all kinds (including naval gunfire), and rockets of all kinds (including nuclear missiles).

As far as I know, however, disembarking units are not vulnerable to attack by enemy ground units (with the exception of ranged artillery fire) until they are fully disembarked.

Please note, however, that there has been a bug in the past that permitted certain enemy naval units to engage ground units when the came in close proximity at the coastline, even though neither unit stack could actually damage the other, leaving them locked in endless combat unless freed by other units that killed the enemy stack. I don't know if this "bug" continues to exist or not, since I have not personally encountered it in 8 or 10 months.
    • I have recently observed such a landing, so some details:

If you have a land force that you want to defend your landing zone with you need to park it just on the edge of the water. Sometimes if your province center is close you can't select the exact spot due to "centering" or whatever you call it when your pointer selects the province center if you click anywhere within 50 km. To get around that you can use the CTRL key when clicking. So select your unit and tell it to march, then hold CTRL and click where you want it. Make sure it doesn't embark and turn into a convoy itself.

Now with your unit there what happens if you see three convoys coming at you? You think that all of the convoys will be stopped by the unit that you have placed in the intertidal zone, right? Wrong. The first two convoys will engage in battle with your unit, but the third will start to disembark. If your unit can finish off one convoy before the third one disembarks I think you are ok, but if not that third convoy is now on land behind you, and your unit is stuck fighting with the first two convoys.

Artillery does great damage to disembarking convoys.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<