How to beat a superpower

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How to beat a superpower

was this manual helpful? 28

The result is only visible to the participants.

Every now and then, usually late in the game, you will be up against a superpower (in my terms a country with 200+ provinces and one of the strongest armies in the game), and taking them out will not be easy (if you are not a superpower yourself). However, there are steps to successfully beating them (this works for me, it may not work for some):
      1. Find an ally, look for other active players, especially ones already at war with the superpower (this step is optional, but will help you, but may be impossible if you and the superpower are the only active players left)

2. Build your invasion army, group them, I recommend tank units (with all sizes of tanks, tank destroyers, sp anti-air, mechanized infantry, and armored cars), infantry units (infantry, commandos, motorized infantry, anti-air, and anti -tank), bomber units (interceptors, tactical bombers, and strategic bombers), fighter units (interceptors and rocket fighters), railgun/artillery units (railguns, infantry, anti-air, anti-tank, and artillery), battleship units* (battleships, cruisers, destroyers, and submarines), carrier units* (aircraft carriers, destroyers, submarines, interceptors, tactical bombers, and naval bombers), smaller naval units* (cruisers, destroyers, and/or submarines), and rocket batteries/nuclear units (rockets, nuclear bombers, nuclear rockets)
      * if you are land locked, don't worry about these

3. Set up a national guard, set up anti-air/tank on all industrial provinces, militia on all others, patrol all your borders with interceptors and tactical bombers (even with your allies borders, if they fall, you will be next), set up a "wall" of submarines and destroyers around your shores*, patrol your shores with interceptors and tactical/naval bombers*, set up rocket batteries on all your airbases, set up squadrons of interceptors and tactical bombers on some of them, and set up artillery on your borders
      * if you are land locked, don't worry about these

4. Send spies, set up intelligence spies on minor enemy provinces (major provinces likely have counter espionage) and put your own counter espionage spies on ALL industrial provinces and resource production, sabotage spies are completely optional (if you send them they will either sabotage as planned or be caught by counter espionage, and you would have wasted money, if you don't send them you lose nothing)

5. To action! if you have a navy, sweep the smaller naval units through the enemy coast (this will clear any coastal defenses), send air units first, bombard the enemy, then send tank and infantry units (if possible, attack from two or more places), once you take a province sent defense units to it, and move on to the next

6. Sneak attack, (OK this is an optional step, but can be effective) send some troops (commandos and anti-air/tank are recommended) to the provinces next to the capital (if you can), if you can take the capital, this will be a major blow to the enemy, if the attack fails, it will not necessarily be a loss, as it may greatly weaken the defenses

7. Build reinforcements, you will lose troops, build more when needed, if you want, you can make reserve units in advance

8A. Now for the best part, if you are victorious, you can announce it on the newspaper with a victory speech, after all, you did just take out the worlds strongest nation :00008040:

8B. Now to say good bye, if the superpower defeats you, you may sent a farewell address to motivate the other active players to stand up against the superpower :protest:
      Forum Gang Mascot
      Girls game too

dxcalc.com/cow
    • I can simplify that list a little with my two step program:

Step one: Become a superpower

Step two: Success!

No disrespect intended Injinji.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Main Administrator
      EN Support Team | Bytro Labs Gmbh

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • Good posts my dear B5 fan, Montana and Dixie:) had me chuckle.

Fighting a superpower is hard, and Dixies comment is kinda valid in regard to the strategy.

If you are smaller, you likely have less of everything, except perhaps some advantages here and there. Yes, I am looking at you research.

Find out what the superpower uses the most of, and research the natural counterunit for that.

Many TDs? Get infantry types going

Many tacs? max your fighter and rocket fighter techs (yes, RFs are actually useful nowadays, research these bad boys!)

Many LTs? Go TD and tac

etcetc.

The one combination I am struggling to fight against is the HT/SPAA combo in close quarter fighting (ie. peninsulas or other crowded places). TDs are nice, but a good combo force of these 2 still cuts through them with ease.
    • miech wrote:

The one combination I am struggling to fight against is the HT/SPAA combo in close quarter fighting (ie. peninsulas or other crowded places). TDs are nice, but a good combo force of these 2 still cuts through them with ease.
      Heavy tanks are slow. SP artillery and SP anti air stacks can dance circles around them, or advance/fall back quicker.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Main Administrator

• miech wrote:

The one combination I am struggling to fight against is the HT/SPAA combo in close quarter fighting . . . .
      Why would anyone waste their fast-moving self-propelled anti-aircraft (SPAA) regiments on protecting slow-moving heavy tank brigades? An L3 heavy tank unit moves at 30 kph (L1 and L2 HTs move even slower); an L5 anti-aircraft unit (non-SP) moves at 25 kph, making it a much better match for heavy tanks. SPAA units are not cheap to produce and have a daily oil upkeep, making them better suited to support medium tank, self-propelled artillery, and mechanized infantry units.

As for killing heavy tank units ---- or as I prefer to call them, "bomber bait" ---- if they are unsupported by AA I will indeed use my tactical bomber wings to deal with them. They are pesky, though, and usually require at least two strikes by high-level 5-squadron TB wings to kill a single HT brigade (unless they make the mistake of moving into a city, and then I start salivating). Vorlon's idea of using a shoot-and-scoot tactic to damage them is one I have used, but I also may use a couple of anti-tank regiments supported by infantry to stop the HT stack in place, then use my SP arty to reduce them. Once all or most of the SPAA units are eliminated from the enemy HT stack, then it's "bombs away" with my TB wings.

I am not a big fan of in-game HTs because they are so damn slow, they're gas hogs, and they require a huge amount of metal and time to produce. Moreover, most players who build them treat them as some sort of magical super weapon, and fail to provide adequate infantry and AA support for them to be successful (see "bomber bait").
    • Of course, the arty solution is there, but try those if that huge army is protected by rockets, and tac/infs. Than you have no choice but to engage on the ground eventually and take massive losses.

And speed is not always important, especially in said scenario (basically 1 way to go for both parties).

I think I will try the combination in the future myself to see how it works for me, I havent used HTs a lot though, but more because I find them too costly to produce in effective numbers.
    • In late game situations, Most AA have been destroyed and only a few people use interceptors. a superpower is certainly no exception to this statement, so strategic bombers are your most useful asset. also, don't give up on AA too early. It is good until level two rockets become mainstream in the game. interceptors are also useful, since people seem like tac. bombers in mid to late game. Aircraft are your your most useful asset late game, so research them early, but remember not to stack too much, because of SBE. Also remember that AA,Sp AA, Anti tank, tank destroyers and Heavy tanks are meant for defence.
      "White Fang knew the law well: To oppress the weak and obey the strong"
      Jack London, White Fang

My parents once told me not to play with matches, so I built a flamethrower
    • NukeRaider33 wrote:

remember that AA,Sp AA, Anti tank, tank destroyers and Heavy tanks are meant for defence.
      I would disagree with that. Any fighting group that leaves my core includes either AA or SPAA, and usually anti-tank early game. Tank Destroyers are good for adding hit points to a stack of SP artillery and SP Anti Air, but they do slow it down. Tank Destroyers and Medium Tanks make a good barricade in front of artillery to keep opponents from rushing them

My opinion is that the best defense is a good offense, so nobody ever gets near enough to your homeland to do any damage.

VorlonFCW
      Main Administrator

• My point was that Bytro labs designed both AA and SPAA along with Anti tank, tank destroyers and heavy tanks for defence. Read the unit descriptions and stats for confirmation
      "White Fang knew the law well: To oppress the weak and obey the strong"
      Jack London, White Fang

My parents once told me not to play with matches, so I built a flamethrower

The post was edited 2 times, last by NukeRaider33 ().

• Super powers have a major food and Oil problem unless they use Gold, so basically once you take out there standing armies you will run them out of food and oil to produce replacement units in the long run. Smaller point players normally have a greater food production rate then the players that have to feed the daily upkeep of all the land they took at a 25% production rate where the people still have 100% upkeep rate.

In my opinion the player with the most FOOD and OIL has the long term advantage!
    • The small percentage of times where I was the super power, In those games, I didn't use gold. I don't buy gold. I didn't have a shortage of food or oil. By the time I was a super power, the other players didn't take out many of my armies. By then, I had a huge army and economy advantage. My losses were small. I healed some units while others pressed the advance. When those healed, those pressed the attack. Since I didn't have to replace many armies, I didn't spend as much on building replacement armies. I upgraded my food province ICs and infrastructure as I could. You do have to manage your food and oil.
      Infantry units eat more food than armored units per unit.