Top Ten most valuable "elite" units

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Top Ten most valuable "elite" units

My top ten list of most valuable "elite" level units:

1. L7 tactical bomber squadron: offensive strength against units of the "infantry" armor class increases from 11 to 13; against "armor" class units from 6.1 to 7. If your opponent loses air superiority over his territory, the "elite" tactical bomber becomes the Queen of the Battlefield.

2. L7 interceptor squadron: offensive strength against other aircraft increases from 13 to 15. This is 75% of the Answer to the tactical bomber swarm.

3. L5 self-propelled anti-aircraft regiment: defensive strength against all aircraft units increases from 11 to 13; speed increases from 50 to 55 kmh -- can keep pace with "elite" medium tank units.

4. L4 self-propelled artillery regiment: offensive strength against all other ground units increases from 3.5 to 4.0; speed increases from 45 to 50 kmh.

5. L6 mechanized infantry regiment: better than all other infantry regiments in every way except in fuel consumption, the mechanized infantry regiment is also stronger and more versatile than the light tank brigade in every way except one ("elite" light tanks are 0.2 stronger on offense against armor). Given the choice of building mech infantry or light tanks, I will build mech infantry every time once they are available.

6. L6 anti-tank regiment: defensive strength against "armor" class units increases from 12 to 14. Quick and easy to produce.

7. L6 medium tank brigade: strengths against infantry and "armor" class units increase from 8.0 and 8.5 to 9.0 and 9.5, respectively; speed increases from 50 to 56 kmh.

8. L6 anti-aircraft regiment (conventional, non-SP): defensive strength against aircraft increases from 10 to 12. With the AA strength buffs of the recent units update, this old friend is starting to look a lot more formidable, especially when several of them are embedded in larger defensive formations. Quick and easy to produce.

9. L7 destroyer squadron: offensive strength against submarine units increases from 11 to 12; defensive strength against aircraft units increases from 7 to 8. Given the DD unit's far-better ASW capability, two DD squadrons are better than a single cruiser squadron.

10. L6 tank destroyer brigade: defensive strength against "armor" class units increases from 16.6 to 19. If you are faced with a defensive struggle against a well-balanced enemy who possesses a large armored attacking force, a few of these in reinforced fortifications could help turn the tide.

Honorable mention:

11. L7 strategic bomber squadron: I may never build a vast fleet of heavy bombers, but with the recent range buffs of the last units update, these puppies have another use that ensures I will build two or three of them for long-range reconnaissance. The "elite" strategic bomber has a range of 1,210 km, which is enough to fly across the narrow points of the Atlantic Ocean on the 22-player European map. That means you can do aerial reconnaissance 7 to 10 provinces behind the borders of your rivals and potential enemies ---- that's huge.

Least valuable "elite" level units:

1. L7 militia regiment: (added per VorlonFCW's comments below) I would say that militia are almost completely worthless, but their jacked-up defensive strengths in hills and forests may continue to justify their existence within the game. Militia may be produced quickly and relatively inexpensively, but they consume the same amount of food as a commando battalion and have nearly twice the daily manpower upkeep ---- both of which become key consumables when maintaining a large army.

2. L5 armored car brigade: Only suited for ground reconnaissance, a role in which it can be easily replaced by high-level, fast-moving light tank, motorized infantry or mechanized infantry units, all of which are far better fighting units. Elite armored cars are almost completely useless for fighting other "armor" class units, and easily destroyed by high-level aircraft of all kinds at virtually no cost.

So, which "elite" level units are on your wish list?

The post was edited 6 times, last by MontanaBB ().

• Can I get a nuclear submarine that will launch nuclear missiles? Or a fire breathing dragon?

Seriously now, I would like

1) L4 self-propelled artillery regiment: offensive strength against all other ground units increases from 3.5 to 4.0; speed increases from 45 to 50 kmh.

2) L5 self-propelled anti-aircraft regiment: defensive strength against all aircraft units increases from 11 to 13; speed increases from 50 to 55 kmh

I would just pair the above with regular L4 light tanks for the speed. Even if you did have blueprints for the elite medium tanks you have a week between when you can use L4 SP arty and the L6 medium tank brigade.

3)L6 anti-aircraft regiment conventional, non-SP are invaluable because they can be produced on the battlefield from captured enemy cities. By this point in a game most cities will have higher level industrial complexes, and are likely to be captured somewhat functional. Regular AA does not require infrastructure and can be produced quickly. As infantry class they are good to hold cities near the front line.

4) L7 Submarine, as Subs are very important to my naval strategy, at least currently.

5) L6 artillery. You gain 10 km range, and regular artillery are an oilless unit, so more oil to run the aforementioned submarines.

Least desired:

L7 militia. I don't even research L1 militia usually.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • MontanaBB wrote:

Least valuable "elite" level unit:

1. L5 armored car brigade: Only suited for ground reconnaissance, a role in which it can be easily replaced by high-level, fast-moving light tank, motorized infantry or mechanized infantry units, all of which are far better fighting units. Elite armored cars are almost completely useless for fighting other "armor" class units, and easily destroyed by high-level aircraft of all kinds at virtually no cost.
      Armored cars are great for grabbing territory ahead of your artillery/anti-air group, giving them owned territory to advance on at 100% speed, rather than advancing on enemy territory at 50% speed.

I am not convinced that an extra 5kph is worth buying the blueprints though.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • VorlonFCW wrote:

Least desired:

L7 militia. I don't even research L1 militia usually.
      Ah, yes, I seem to have forgotten the deservedly maligned militia, and now the oxymoronic "elite militia." Thank you for pointing out the obvious oversight on my part. I have amended my original list above to put the L7 militia regiment as the No. 1 least valuable elite unit.
    • Elite tacs and fighters are also my first and second.

Ill go with regular old infantry at 3, light tanks and subs for 4 and 5.

6th is medium tank. 7th is reg arty.

destroyer takes 8th. motorized and mech infantry 9 and 10.

least favorite would be anti tank. i have not built an anti tank since i started
      “I am the flail of god. Had you not created great sins, god would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.”

Genghis Khan
    • Dixie wrote:

i have not built an anti tank since i started
      Are you from Mars? It is like saying: "I didn't breathe air since I was born."
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • Anit-tank is pretty much a defensive unit. Anti-tank can be easily destroyed by infantry. It slows down your infantry. It has defensive value against pure armor attacks. It isn't so good against combined armor/infantry or infantry stacks. So it could temporarily slow down an all tank stack blitz. They aren't very mobile. It only has 10 hit points. It sucks on offense. I don't see any reason to build them either.
    • Lawrence, you might want to check the speed stats for lvl 3 ATs:)

And AA/arties slow them down too, and they do not get a speed increase.

In my more recent games, Ive noticed I have grown fond of building a few militia, if manpower/grain is absolutely of no issue. If anything, they are the cheapest unit around, with 15hp to boot, and with regular infantry costs now higher and build time of militia lower...

There have been times I saw an advancing LT unit roughly 5 hours away towards an empty city. The only thing you can do is spam that militia (if an AT will be too late) and it will usually hold the tank long enough to take care of it with other incoming units.

On the large maps they can be useful only in the beginning, as you want to hang on to your grain:). On the medium sized maps they can be useful for a longer time, on the small maps MP is too much of an issue. And dont forget Russia on the historical 10p map, since it starts with 23 of them. Might be worth that upgrade huh?;)

So far the changes made a short while ago has made me change some of my tactics and I certainly love the new rocket fighters for instance. 5/5/5 destroys basically anything that tries to fight them in the air, and the new range is acceptable to perform most aerial duties, but also the upgraded railguns and militia.
    • miech wrote:

And AA/arties slow them down too, and they do not get a speed increase.
      You might check speed of lvl 4 artie and lvl 5 AA ;)

miech wrote:

on the historical 10p map, since it starts with 23 of them. Might be worth that upgrade huh?;)
      Not only Russia, all kinds af china and many other countrie start with militia on historic map.
      In some cases is upgrading militia till lvl 3 usefull. Over it is only disadvataging of reseach other units. but till day 8 better get militia lvl3 then empty research bar.

Also If you dont research navaltec, you could have lvl3 militia for free. Further upgrade make other troops weaker.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Last Warrior ().

• To be honest, I did check them last week randomly and indeed you are right! Never noticed it before in my 2+ years here. Other units seem to have the strange habit of devolving regarding their AA stats, but im sure its just a wrong number written down in the content, while in the code itself is the 'right' number.
    • What exactly are you guys saying here? What has naval trech to do with militia?
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • miech wrote:

To be honest, I did check them last week randomly and indeed you are right! Never noticed it before in my 2+ years here. Other units seem to have the strange habit of devolving regarding their AA stats, but im sure its just a wrong number written down in the content, while in the code itself is the 'right' number.
      If you are referring to speed of lvl4 arty and lvl 5 AA they have always been what they currently are and it's not a typo: lvl 4 AA/ART speed
    • Yea, there are a number of "off by one decimal place" values displayed in unit info. This is just because sometimes it is rounded up and sometimes down. For example, sub AA lvl 2 is 0.75 but displayed as 0.8 (rounded up). Sub AA lvl 4 is 1.25 but displayed as 1.2 (rounded down). But a speed of 20 vs 25 isn't a rounding issue. And, unlike AA strength, it is easy enough to measure a units speed directly.
    • VorlonFCW wrote:

MontanaBB wrote:

Least valuable "elite" level unit:

1. L5 armored car brigade: Only suited for ground reconnaissance, a role in which it can be easily replaced by high-level, fast-moving light tank, motorized infantry or mechanized infantry units, all of which are far better fighting units. Elite armored cars are almost completely useless for fighting other "armor" class units, and easily destroyed by high-level aircraft of all kinds at virtually no cost.
      Armored cars are great for grabbing territory ahead of your artillery/anti-air group, giving them owned territory to advance on at 100% speed, rather than advancing on enemy territory at 50% speed.
      I am not convinced that an extra 5kph is worth buying the blueprints though.
      L4 armored car travels at 70 km/hr. Armored cars can be great for grabbing undefended provinces. If the provinces are defended, not so great for grabbing provinces. L5 elite armored cars are slightly faster. Since you already have L4 armored cars, I would rate L5 armored car as least valuable elite unit as well. They would have a niche in charging undefended regular artillery and pinning the artillery in battle till more units can join battle and destroy them.