should there be weather in the game?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• should there be weather in the game?

:/ i know this is pretty odd topic to talk about but if weather was in the game, it would have its effect on units and can be used against your enemy, if planned right , you would be like are ok? or you lost it .i hope i don't sound stupid to you
      In war there is no substitute for victory-- Douglas MacArthur

Decisions! And a general, a commander in chief who has not got the quality of decision, then he is no good.---Bernard Montgomery

Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning
      ---- Erwin Rommel

The longer the battle lasts the more force we'll have to use!
      ----georgy zhukov
    • I don't think so
      for example if weather is added, your troops in very cold cities will have to be in barracks in order not to freeze (it's a way to make thinks more fair), same think for very hot cities (in ordrer not to die because of cholera ^^) but weather shouldn't mean that half of your army will die, maybe it will decrease moral.
      Let's Agree To Disagree! Boris the Animal It's Just Boris! Men In Black III
    • When morale is lost, units cannot fight as well. Russia would screw everything up. It would also be really unfair to be somewhere in ME from the start since they are hot and you would need a load of grain.

Forum ArmyField Marshall :00000441:

Mess with the Bill, you get the scorn!

• And if you play in the UK, all your troops would do is complain about the weather
      "If the tanks succeed, then victory follows."- H.Guderian

"Hit first ! Hit hard ! Keep on hitting ! ! (The 3 H's)" Admiral Jackie Fisher

"The 3 Requisites for Success – Ruthless, Relentless, Remorseless(The 3 R's)" Admiral Fisher

Crates: a Term used to define any unwanted and unneeded feature in CoW

Game Username: LordStark01
    • If you attacked Russia, you would die as the enemy would release a frozen hell upon your men. I take it natives would be used to weather e.g. Algerians can easily fight all over Africa but get a really awful time in SU?

Forum ArmyField Marshall :00000441:

Mess with the Bill, you get the scorn!

• Iron Guard24 wrote:

Storms at sea could damage naval units. Storms on land could slow down land units and possibly damage air units. If one were willing to implement it.
      This is ww2. Very few ships were lost due to storms at sea.
      For example, for the US out of a total of 186 ships lost, only 5 were lost by storm (2 motortorpedoboats, a barge, a small auxilary wich had run aground, and 1 battleship under tow that was severely damaged at Pearl Harbor).

Slowing down all type of units, sure.
      Suspending air operations, of course.
      Real damage, not so much.
      What if I'm indoctrinated and actually fighting the good guys?
    • very ture
      In war there is no substitute for victory-- Douglas MacArthur

Decisions! And a general, a commander in chief who has not got the quality of decision, then he is no good.---Bernard Montgomery

Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning
      ---- Erwin Rommel

The longer the battle lasts the more force we'll have to use!
      ----georgy zhukov
    • Butter Ball Bill wrote:

If you attacked Russia, you would die as the enemy would release a frozen hell upon your men. I take it natives would be used to weather e.g. Algerians can easily fight all over Africa but get a really awful time in SU?
      I think the point here is that one would have to wait until it's a warm day (since I'm assuming there wouldn't be seasons) to attack Russia, if you wanted to do it effectively. Alternatively, it would be a double edged sword, so if there was a frozen hell in Russia, the Russian soldiers wouldn't do as well either if there were an attack.
    • most weather is very negative when mixed with warfare, to operate at 100% effectiveness all it needs is a sunny day, if we implement weather the effect in-game will be:
      -slower move speed (rain)
      -lower visibility
      -slow naval units and longer embarking and disembarking, or better yet prevent disembarking due to bad weather
      -don't you even think about going to Russia
      -and implications to unit effectiveness and morale

it will slow the game down, but i would welcome the challenge so i will agree on this idea, the problem is the time to implement it which is unlikely because there must be numerous weathers on-going and changing simultaneously around the map, we cant have winter in Russia and UK at the same time, its Russia its always winter!
      "Victory needs no explenation, defeat allows none"
      -imperium thought of the day
    • Now we have no weather. So units operate at an average performance.
      Poor performance due to bad weather has to be balanced againt better performance for good weather.
      The average speed of the game can stay the same. But individual units might be severely affected.

A lot of wargames solve this by putting a province a climate zone. The actual weather could change 1x/day, determined by climate zone. I guess in game-time a day equals a month?

For example:
      - Northern europe/Russia (moderate in summer, very cold & wet in winter)
      - Seacoast (moderate temperatures, mostly wet)
      - Mainland (hot & dry in summer, cold & wet in winter)
      - Mediterenean (hot & dry in summer, moderate & mostly wet in winter)
      - Africa/Middle East (very hot, verry little rain)

Units reaction to weather should determined by unit type, equipment, training & origin of the uinit. That might be a little too much detail though.
      What if I'm indoctrinated and actually fighting the good guys?
    • It has been ages since the last post, but I gave it a little more thought. Weather might not apply to a certain country's troops specifically (let's assume that all units gain the same basic training), so the Soviet Union might get some harshness in winter too, and some harshness in Africa. Algerian troops would be the same.

However, I am still against it. This was posted even before the hints at a world map, so... how on earth would weather work for world maps? It would take days to code fully.
      It's been a while