Fix Day End

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Fix Day End

As we all know the day ends at midnight CET, albeit the servers are set at winter time so with summer daylight savings the day now ends at 0100hrs until such time summer daylight savings end in a couple of months or so.

Now this time is fixed for every game in the servers and in my opinion hands a significant advantage to players in the Americas primarily USA and Canada on the EN server. This is because the Central European Time midnight or 1 am coincides with afternoon or evening in the USA, depending where u live .

So when a game has a peace period it will expire at 1am Europe time when most European players are asleep. At this point American players have just come home and sat themselves in front of their games and are able to get a head start on European players. if you can't get on the game till u are home from school or work then the American player can have up to 15 or so hours head start on you.

American players can react immediately or almost to rebellions and can start research almost immediately at the start of the research day whilst Europeans are sleeping.

This together with some other factors can give Americans an edge.

This is also particularly important during Clan matches.

I think this needs fixing to remove this edge and also give European players the change to have a day end in the middle of their IRL day.

How can we fix this?

I suggest that the games run on a different timing. This could be done by making a day last say 22 hours in the game. Like that every day will happen 2 hours earlier. This means that no player in any area gets a significant advantage over the course of a couple of weeks of the game.

The other alternative would be for the game to have the game day end 24 hours after the game has been created. So a game created at 2pm in Europe will always end at that time. It should however be displayed on the games tab at what time does the game day end so u can choose a day end that suits you.
    • I would have given the post above even more "Likes" if I could somehow. I wrote a similar post about a year ago, devs said they would look into it, but nothing happened. It is really a very frustrating issue, especially for a European company deliberately giving Americans a huge advantage like this.

As for solutions, I would vote for a non-24h day length to give all players the same playing field in all games.
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • I assumed most euros stay up until at least 1 am to get things started then go to sleep. If not maybe just move it back a couple hours. I don't think the US schedule is that great. You get 5-7-ish hours after DC to get things started but then have to go to bed when the euros are waking up. I've played on every time schedule possible and for me the closer that DC is to your morning the better, probably best if you can get on about 1 hr before DC.
    • I'm not saying Europe has the best schedule with the game, but the convenience of timing is a problem for everyone all the time. We all suffer from having to work, sleep etc and it's a bit disingenuous to make such a fuss over the European schedule. I'm not opposed to an adjustment, hell flip it to put the US on the current euro schedule. I'm good with that, if that's what it takes to stop the euro-whine.
    • I'll admit, the hour of game-day change is one for which I look forward. It's my little dose of excitement to see the change in the Index of Nations and the next comparative measure of countries (ie. "Mightiest Army", etc.).

I never considered it before but, I guess, it's a bit unfair so many miss it (like falling asleep at 11:00 PM on New Year's Eve).

Assuming it is widely agreed to be a significant moment, for whatever reason, then, perhaps, 1800 (6:00 P.M.) UTC might be a good choice seeing that we won't be struggling with any consistently changing "midnight". Though, I'm sure, we'd adjust to that, eventually.
    • @ DxC (Calcium?) The convenience of timing is the same for everyone with regards to work and school. However the Day change only affect the Europeans on a PERMANENT basis.

No one is whining it's a fair comment but you seem to have not grasped the wider picture and implications.

WE haven't asked for the North Americans to be the fall guys. We have suggested two different solutions. One is a day length of 23 hours which means Day Change will change over the course of the game the other being that the Day Change is dependent on game creation time. It will then change every 24 hours after that.

It creates problem when a game starts late at night in Europe and then there are only an hour so till Day 2.

Note how the German server has a different Day Change time to other Europeans, again another group that gets an advantage over others.

@ I Patton - that time, whilst good for Europe probably puts the Asian community at a loss.

We don't want one area to have an advantage. All we want is a level playing field.
    • Clanpred wrote:

[deleted bits]

Note how the German server has a different Day Change time to other Europeans, again another group that gets an advantage over others.

@ I Patton - that time, whilst good for Europe probably puts the Asian community at a loss.

We don't want one area to have an advantage. All we want is a level playing field.
      With all due respect, the comment about the Germans getting an advantage over other Europeans strikes me as a bit finicky given Europe has about the same number of time zones as the U.S.A. and Canada and the spread is only a handful of hours difference.

Perhaps we should look at the impact of what regularly happens at Day Change and see if the time of its occurrence is more than anecdotal, in terms of whether or not there's some significant advantage to some and disadvantage to others.

So far, I'm aware of revolting territories being grabbed by an awake and online 'at peace' neighbour as one impact. But revolts can be prevented. Revolts rarely happen where one is in position to take advantage of it.

Getting a quick kick off to the end of a Peace Period is another cited situation. I can see the desire of that. I wouldn't think it's critical to winning the game but, okay. Personally, I would be using the Peace Period to communicate with my neighbours about who gets what, and etc. Taking a territory 6 hrs. before Day Change isn't much different than taking it 12 hrs. before, as far as production and etc. Is there something I'm missing? Maybe.
    • yes you are missing the critical bits.

Specifically

1 - Peace periods end at 1am in Europe (midnight for some Germans) which means you cannot even order your troops to start invading till then. So you must stay up till 1am to start the war or go and attack an AI. Now if you get up at 6 or 7 to go to work it's a real bummer. In the meantime the American has had a good few hours to get things going and the Asian has a whole waking day. So some AI countries will be snatched up before u wake up or the enemy has penetrated deep into your territory.

2. Starting Research . You can start research at 1am when the day changes. Now are you going to stay up every night till 1am to start the next lot of research?

1 is obviously critical at Game Start. 2. Affects throughout game.

Reacting to rebellions is a minor point though.

In a big map with a mish mash of players it is not a real problem.

The problem is in an Alliance game where one Alliance can get a huge advantage over the other.
    • Right now there are two Speed Games waiting to start. In one I have been waiting 3 hours for it to kick off.

So these games were created by Bytro this afternoon. It is now nearly 8pm. I think the first will start at around 9pm. Guess when Day Change will now be? 3am!!!

So do u seriously expect me to be up at 3 to start fighting? The US player will have 4X the advantage then. He will have prob kicked off Day 2 research when he goes to bed and us Europeans get up.

So I start beside an American or two and when I get up tomorrow I'll have been wiped off the map.

Can you understand how frustrating it is for that to be your punishment for living in Europe?
    • Clanpred wrote:

yes you are missing the critical bits.

Specifically

1 - Peace periods end at 1am in Europe (midnight for some Germans) which means you cannot even order your troops to start invading till then. So you must stay up till 1am to start the war or go and attack an AI. Now if you get up at 6 or 7 to go to work it's a real bummer. In the meantime the American has had a good few hours to get things going and the Asian has a whole waking day. So some AI countries will be snatched up before u wake up or the enemy has penetrated deep into your territory.

2. Starting Research . You can start research at 1am when the day changes. Now are you going to stay up every night till 1am to start the next lot of research?

1 is obviously critical at Game Start. 2. Affects throughout game.

Reacting to rebellions is a minor point though.

In a big map with a mish mash of players it is not a real problem.

The problem is in an Alliance game where one Alliance can get a huge advantage over the other.
      When people ignore what I write and repeat that to which I was responding, I move on. It's okay. I'm not that invested in the topic.
    • To make it fair, the game days should be based upon when they become official games, in other words, enough players to be ranked. Right when the required player number is reached. The first day should start (probably should coordinate the minutes). So if the game is filled to the required number at 3:40, the day would officially start in 20 minutes to get it on the hour. The only issue with this setup would be every single game having a different time schedule, mainly affecting players who take on more than one at a time. But I don't think they need special catering, they should be fine.
      "Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster." ~ Sun Tzu, The Art of War

"War does not determine who is right - only who is left."
    • Before I say anything, let me just say that I am American, and while I might benefit from this, I can acknowledge that there is a problem. Saying that some players don't have an advantage over others when they clearly do is, in my opinion, an expression of ignorance. And while Clanpred is 100% correct, it may not be as big of an impact as he says it is, or can be fixed quite easily.
      I still stick by my original proposal of choosing when the day ends when the game is being made. Alternatively, having the game set the day shift for when the game starts could also work. I'm not saying this solution is perfect, but it is a solution.
      And MontanaBB, seriously chill out. The guy just wanted to improve the game, just like you, me, and everyone else on this forum.

The post was edited 1 time, last by king meatster: Misinterpretation ().

• king meatster wrote:

And MontanaBB, seriously chill out. The guy just wanted to improve the game, just like you, me, and everyone else on this forum. I think it goes without saying that personal attacks have nothing to do with the entire topic.
      Huh? "Personal attacks?"

I suggest that you read my post again: it was a joke, my friend. Clanpred obviously got it; clearly you did not.

The post was edited 1 time, last by MontanaBB ().