On Suggesting Paratroopers

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I think paratroopers are actually a nice idea, but doesn't spies work a similar way. Maybe paratroops can be shot down (in WWII they did), but are like a variation of commandos, since that's what commandos usually do to get to enemy territory. Maybe paratroops should have a bit more damage than infantry, since they are better trained, but have less health, since you don't put like 100-500 paratroops down at once, and should be a stealth unit. I mean, paratroops hide away a lot, and are unlike normal infantry. I agree with Freezy too that there are just too many unrealistic weapons. Nuclear rockets were, I believe, invented after WWII, and Commandos are overpowered (I use them like in every game). In conclusion, just please add paratroops :thumbsup:
      "As long as there are sovereign nations possessing great power, war is inevitable." Albert Einstein

"Giving up is not an option in war, for it proves one's incapability and incompetence as a leader." - Me (Little Racoon)
    • Here's my go on paratroopers.

They should have a specific requirement to research, like one in the "Secret" tab and possibly, a level 3 Tactical Bomber. They should a bit less HP than standard infantry, due to them being airdropped and all, you don't have as many supplies, nor the numbers. They travel just as fast as infantry and their HP is relevant to the amount of damage their plane took (-5HP on Tactical bomber, is -20% of the Paratrooper's HP, -10HP is -40%, etc), seeing as you're shooting the planes with the infantry inside,it only makes sense. The planes act like nuclear ones, disappearing after use.

I feel that they shouldn't appear in enemy territory, until they engage in a fight, then they're permanently spotted. Merging troops don't count. I think that they should do more damage, like what Little Raccoon said, and cannot capture provinces until they're spotted. In the event that any AA damages the troops, they'll be somewhat visible like as if a plane had patrolled and left the area, for 12-24H, and can capture provinces in that state.

L1 1v1 against infantry, it will be a pretty easy fight, but attacking them in core provinces should negate their higher damage. Against militia is a landslide if not in forest, and Commandos, Mot. and Mech. Inf isn't smart. They should have a small bonus in plains and urban areas, and no advantages in forest hills, and no disadvantages in mountain. They should do the same amount of armored damage as regular infantry of the same level (L1 does 1.0, L6 does 2.5, etc), and planes too.

So, if they can't capture provinces from the start, what do I even use them for, then?

They should primarily be used to cut off reinforcements, and attack stray defending infantry forces and punish lone AT, AAA or Artillery units. These shouldn't be your primary choice of invasion, as they should be quite costly to produce and to maintain. They could also harass out of reach units, typically landing patrols, grounded nuclear planes, etc.

How much do you think they should cost?

They should be on par with commandos, minus the rare materials and trade it in for oil. I'm thinking 350. Also change the price of 3,000 to 2,500. vvv replace the 500 Mat. with 350 Oil and 2.5k vvv

Operational drop range?

Depends on the current level of the Tactical Bomber.

Keep in mind that it's an idea, please no hate and I'd like to see other suggestions. :thumbsup:
      Images
      • Screenshot 2018-03-14 at 12.16.19 PM.png

20.74 kB, 391×54, viewed 39 times
      "A nation, like an individual, to find itself must lose itself in the service of others." - L. M. K.
    • I'd be okay with para's IF they were weaker than infantry when attacking, stronger then infantry when defending, require lvl 3 barracks and lvl 3 airbase in the same province to build, had a range of <250 km, and they act like Nuke bombers as they behave like a plane until they attack then they are infantry for the rest of their life.

Basically I want a defensive unit, that punishes opponents for leaving their border undefended.

No unit cap necessary as they are such a hassle to build and their stats restrict them to a niche role, kind of like actual paratroopers.
    • Uh, not AB lvl 3. It's too high leveled for something near infantry, and I agree w/ Shoravaz, they should have what the tactical bomber's range have, BUT I agree with the Nuke bombers part.
      "As long as there are sovereign nations possessing great power, war is inevitable." Albert Einstein

"Giving up is not an option in war, for it proves one's incapability and incompetence as a leader." - Me (Little Racoon)
    • I believe that the Paratroopers should be 2 separate things you have to research the plane which requires level 2 airbase and then Paratrooper infantry that requires AB lvl2 along with industrial complex lvl2 if every one gets paratroopers that easy then there wont be any fun in them also make em expensive
    • But industrial complex lvl 1 is the hard thing. I believe if you get tac bomber and infantry lvl 1 then you can research on paratroop lvl 1, tac bomber and infantry lvl 2 then research paratroop lvl 2 and so on would be hard enough. I do agree that paratroops can't be researched so easily. they basically can replace spies.

• Uh, No, because then Paratroopers would be airmobile Militia. That'd be pointless if that was a thing. Like MontanaBB said, They have to be an actual unit, not have some dumb thing where they disappear after a day or something like that. I would agree with the current picture of Airborne that we have know,

- They would have a limit cap of 15-20 units
      - They would function a lot like the Airborne in CoN, but would need an Airfield.
      "ANU! CHEEKI BREEKI IV DAMKE!"
    • injinji wrote:

Bad idea, not even nukes have that.
      Nukes are one-use, disposable units. A new airborne infantry unit would be a re-usable unit, just like any other ground unit. If you want to give some validity to the detractors who say that adding "paratroops" would "unbalance" the game, then permit unlimited numbers of the new unit to be created and maintained at any given time. Having 15, 20, 35, 40+ airborne infantry regiments in a single country's army would create chaos, if not completely ruin the game.

Without a semi-realistic cap on the number of airborne regiments that could be maintained by one country at any one time, you can move me from pro-paratroops to the anti-paratroops column in this discussion. If the combined air forces of Britain and the United States could not drop more than three airborne divisions (2 US, 1 UK) -- the equivalent of 9 regiments -- in 24 to 48 hours, then there is no reason why a single country in Call of War should be able to have more than 6 to 9 of a new airborne infantry regiment, especially given that Call of War is played on a much smaller scale than the fighting in the real European Theater of Operation in WW2.
    • As outlined elsewhere, a CoW "regiment" is actually corresponding to about two divisions in terms of national reserves. Thus the cap should be either one or two.
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • Unfortunately, really unfortunately, the actual function of paratroopers does not fit the basic / original methodology of CoW - keywords: province hopping (ability to skip provinces) and conquest speed - but take out these two primary skills in the paratroopers or adapt them to the game (which will be necessary), then paratroopers are useless from the outset (which they are anyway) and would be nothing more than a fun gimmick for action- and reality freaks .. (because they could do nothing, what you could not already do [more efficiently / effectively] with existing units)..

Yeah :D , stay relaxed, this is as always only Restrisikos personal rational opinion :thumbup:

Browser games are an ingenious business idea to lure out money ..
      ..... >> more or less cleverly camouflaged as a real game <<
      .... .. so beware of caltrops, spring-guns and booby traps. :00008185:
      Warning! Texts above this signature may contain traces of irony! :D
    • injinji wrote:

Bad idea, not even nukes have that.
      Nukes are limited by their cost. Yes there is no cap, but w/o using gold production is limited at 10,000 Rare and $30,000 cash per rocket plus the cost of building and maintaining the reactor(s).
      "A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week." - General George S. Patton, Jr.

"Do, or do not. There is no try" - Yoda
    • More Suggestions

<p>Hello, I have wanted to ask for this for a while, but here they are:</p><div><br></div><div> 1-Parachute: It's not just me asking for this (and the most requested unit of the game), It's an Adaptation of the Commands, where they will be transported by transport planes. Parachutists can be thrown on the enemy's front lines (as it was on day D).<br></div><div><br></div><div> 2-Train Units for Trade: It is just a modification of the trains of units that when you trade with some country that does not land border with you, use these trains that can be stocked in the reserve or can be built on time. I ask this, because food, oil, rare matter CAN NOT SIMPLY TELEPORT. Trains can each stock 1,000 features, its cost of construction should be cheap, when you, for example, (data below are based on actual facts, there may be something out of the real) you are playing with Brazil likely to do so) and will trade with the USA taking food for him to use in war, will use the trains, if they are unprotected, and Germany or Italy know of these trains they can simply put their submarines on the trade route and intercept trains and destroy them or plunder them.</div><div> </div><div> 3-Attack Options to Submarines: This completes with Suggestion # 2, submarines can attack any convoy that passes through it, with the option of Looting or destroying it.</div><div> </div><div> 4-Trade Agreements: Agreements between countries where you can choose what countries are going to trade, what time the trains will leave, when they will trade, and countries can define the trade route and where they will go. These routes can be intercepted.</div><div><br></div><div> 5-Attack options: More options for your troops to defend or attack, how, you realize that you do not count the enemy troops then you have them entrenched and stay there defending.</div><div><br></div><div> 1st Option- Entrench: As stated above, if the enemy's army is more powerful and only entrenches its strengths, but over time they will lose their morale (as in the Great War) from hunger, poor hygiene, etc. .</div><div><br></div><div> 2nd Option- Defender: The troops will be prepared for any air raid, enemy invasion, etc. Their troops when defended are prepared, but not strengthened.</div><div><br></div><div> 3rd Option-Guerrilla: The enemy will see the province empty, when it will attack the troops that were in guerrilla attack them with the element surprise leaving the enemy disoriented without being able to revoke the 1st attack.</div>

Edit by Roko: please use proper punctuation and paragraphing; future posts like this will be deleted.
    • To AlexBR:

For all that you've said, I see a bit of problems.
      1. You are correct in trains for transport, but trains need rails, and only infrastructure lvl 3 shows rails, so it would be VERY DIFFICULT to even acquire the basic needs and thus make the slow and difficult (but fun) game even more... y'know.
      2. It needs A LOT of micromanagement for subs to choose between loot and destroy. I think if that happens, the choices happen when you make the sub.
      3. Entrenching has failed in the end of WWI, replaced by forts, as we can see in CoW, it already has it, so there is no need to add it, although yes, trenches are still here in WWII.
      4. Guerilla attacks are just like commandos, and they don't work in plains. Mountain valleys, sure, but one thing in CoW is once you fight, there is no retreat (at least on land anyways).