On Suggesting Paratroopers

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• JCS Darragh wrote:

They would have a limit cap of 15-20 units
      - They would function a lot like the Airborne in CoN, but would need an Airfield
      My 2 cent's. I agree with the above statement, but if paratroopers capture a airfield and one can get their planes to the paratroopers, we should be able to reuse them. If the unit cap was 20 and you lose 6 in the first battle, Your cap has been reached and you only have 14 left for the rest of the game.
    • Zappper wrote:

JCS Darragh wrote:

They would have a limit cap of 15-20 units
      - They would function a lot like the Airborne in CoN, but would need an Airfield
      My 2 cent's. I agree with the above statement, but if paratroopers capture a airfield and one can get their planes to the paratroopers, we should be able to reuse them. If the unit cap was 20 and you lose 6 in the first battle, Your cap has been reached and you only have 14 left for the rest of the game.
      ... I don't think you understand what a unit cap IS. That means how many you can have all at the same time, not the absolute limit on the construction of the unit. Obviously if you lose units you can rebuild them. Where did you even get that idea? Most RTS games don't use that type of unit cap, if one exists at all. The only ones that do are ones where the games are either really short, or they decided to add something like a nuke into a game where most combat units are anything but a nuke, and the latter can't be produced to BEGIN with.

• General
      Likes Received949Points3,117Posts2,151
      Feb 11th 2018+6

[/quote]

Paratroopers would imbalance the game in favor of the person who could spawn more paratroopers.
      [/quote]Asked and answered, LC. My advocacy of adding paratroopers is strictly
      conditioned on their numbers being limited in each country's army. We
      can argue about the exact numbers, but certainly no more than six to
      nine paratrooper regiments per country. The two biggest airborne
      operations of the war (Overlord/Neptune/Tonga and Market Garden)
      involved two American airborne divisions and one British, for a total of
      three divisions, and that required most of the entire available air
      transport capacity of the Allies in the European theater. The typical
      WW2 infantry division included three infantry regiments, hence my
      suggestion of limiting the numbers in any single army to a maximum of 6
      to 9 regiments.

Limited numbers, properly designed in-game unit, including high costs of
      production and maintenance, combined with realistically limited range.
      Without a properly designed airborne unit, Call of War is simply
      missing one of the most technologically and tactically innovative troop
      types of the war

MontanaBB is where I got the idea from. I take no credit for it. I just expanded it to reuse the paratroopers if they capture a airbase
    • Hi, if we were to include paratroopers, we would not do it via a build-limit as this is too artificial and introduces alot of technical problems. Regarding realism, the reason why countries did not have many of them is that it was very costly, not because they were not allowed to train more. So instead of putting a hard limit we would probably give them a high production cost or a high upkeep cost (or both) to simulate this. But we could also balance it in a different way, e.g. making them weak or slow or giving them a long load/unload time or giving them a short range or removing their ability to conquer provinces or make them only recruitable in capitals... Maybe you guys can use these ideas instead of a hard limit if you are making your proposals :)

(btw this is no confirmation or promise that we will implement them, just design discussion)
    • my 2 bits on the subject ...
      research after Commandos (same branch),build only in capitol
      (or perhaps from a level 3 barracks,as the Only unit you need this for now is the Mech.Inf. and the upkeep for the barracks IS higher already) [I do NOT build level 3 barracks at all.I don't use the Mech.Inf at all (tried 'em,didn't see that they were worth it). Making this a req.for para.Might entice me to build a couple.Maybe.]
      may paradrop ONLY From an airbase,range = Owners current tac.bomber range (so,as owner's bomber range increases,so does the troopers.) while airborne att.=0,def.=0.,CAN be shot down.
      Perhaps a 1 hour delay (boarding the planes) at the Airfield ?
      Otherwise...is An Infantry unit (perhaps with + defending,as Airborne units Were pretty good at holding places.)

replaced,while airborne,with a gif of a DC-3 :)
      :00000441: I am,I'm me.
    • Shoravaz wrote:

Operational drop range?
      Depends on the current level of the Tactical Bomber.

Ah Zee wrote:

range = Owners current tac.bomber range
      ..good joke.. :D

Browser games are an ingenious business idea to lure out money ..
      ..... >> more or less cleverly camouflaged as a real game <<
      .... .. so beware of caltrops, spring-guns and booby traps. :00008185:
      Warning! Texts above this signature may contain traces of irony! :D
    • 1/2 the TAC range would likely be more balanced and to some extent realistic when you consider the fuel needed to tow gliders which made up a portion of Para units to get their heavier equipment in.
      "A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week." - General George S. Patton, Jr.

"Do, or do not. There is no try" - Yoda
    • Peter Mat wrote:

1/2 the TAC range would likely be more balanced and to some extent realistic when you consider the fuel needed to tow gliders which made up a portion of Para units to get their heavier equipment in.
      And up to 1/3 of the infantry regiments of American airborne divisions were delivered via glders, and sometimes even more for the British airborne divisions. I know the Germans used gliders for their airborne units, too, but I don't know in what proportion to their parachute units.
    • I think 1/2 of tac bomber range would be too much. Maybe 3/4 tac bomber range?
      "As long as there are sovereign nations possessing great power, war is inevitable." Albert Einstein

"Giving up is not an option in war, for it proves one's incapability and incompetence as a leader." - Me (Little Racoon)
    • We could create a new structure and call it air born school or jump school.
      Then have any of the infantry branch units be able to go though jump school and get their so called wings.
      This would make each air born unit twice as long to create. Make it where you could only have one jump school training one unit at a time. So any infantry unit would have to make a march to the jump school and wait their turn.

The infantry unit would keep their own stats, except in the air. They would have a hang time in a drop zone were they were more venerable to planes, AA Guns, or anything else that defends against planes. If the plane caring the air born troop gets shot down, the air born unit inside, is also lost.

A short video on 101st Screaming Eagles in WWII and training clips.

Images of WWII airborne wings:
      google.com/search?q=airborne+w…IQsAQIUw&biw=1024&bih=639

The post was edited 2 times, last by NashBean ().

• I think there is no need for jump schools, like commandos. In the real world, they need training grounds, but in CoW, you just spawn them in the capital.
      "As long as there are sovereign nations possessing great power, war is inevitable." Albert Einstein

"Giving up is not an option in war, for it proves one's incapability and incompetence as a leader." - Me (Little Racoon)
    • Huh, I thought their use was pretty good.

• Little Racoon wrote:

Huh, I thought their use was pretty good.
      So did I, little Racoon.

One example:
      The amphibious landings of D-Day were hours away when the first combat missions by the US Army started in France.The invasion of Normandy began with a large-scale parachute drop that included 13,100 soldiers of the 82nd and the 101st Airborne Divisions. The attack occurred during the night in the early hours of June 6, 1944, and was the vanguard of the Allied operations in Normandy.

warhistoryonline.com/world-war…ne-landings-normandy.html
    • I am proud to say that when I was in war(1991) Our unit had the privilege of doing a left flank with the 82nd, the 101st Airborne, and the France 6th Light Divisions. As part of XVII Airborne Corps.

My unit was not air born, But was on the King of Battle M110A2. Modified version of the ones in WWII.
      military-today.com/artillery/m110.htm

On the following map, my unit started out in the gap between 82nd and 101st.
      upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia…3/31/Desert_Storm_Map.svg
    • NashBean wrote:

I am proud to say that when I was in war(1991) Our unit had the privilege of doing a left flank with the 82nd, the 101st Airborne, and the France 6th Light Divisions. As part of XVII Airborne Corps.

My unit was not air born, But was on the King of Battle M110A2. Modified version of the ones in WWII.

Wait, so you worked in the army once? Wow.

• NashBean wrote:

I am proud to say that when I was in war(1991) Our unit had the privilege of doing a left flank with the 82nd, the 101st Airborne, and the France 6th Light Divisions. As part of XVII Airborne Corps.

Haha, nice one. Desert Storm was a very impressive operation, and I congratulate on your success. One thing I've always wondered about the operation though, how often did the artillery units have to displace and advance? The advance was very quick and I would be surprised if you guys did not have to pack up your guns before you had to move again.
      :00000441: Forum Gang Commissar :00000441:

Black Lives Matter!!!!! All Lives Matter!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Quasi-duck wrote:

NashBean wrote:

I am proud to say that when I was in war(1991) Our unit had the privilege of doing a left flank with the 82nd, the 101st Airborne, and the France 6th Light Divisions. As part of XVIII Airborne Corps.

Haha, nice one. Desert Storm was a very impressive operation, and I congratulate on your success. One thing I've always wondered about the operation though, how often did the artillery units have to displace and advance? The advance was very quick and I would be surprised if you guys did not have to pack up your guns before you had to move again.
      We were the 2nd wave, bumped up to just a few hours after 1st wave. Our track convoy with m110a3 was about 45 MPH. We drove non stop for 28 hours, help secure 101st first jump spot behind enemy lines. Did 3 or 4 hours of work to keep m110 going. By the 2nd day we were past As Salman airport. With France 6th Light Division clearing the tanks out as we pass by them. By the 3rd day the Sarin Gas was so thick, you could barly see your hand, we got the orders back to turn towards Kuwait. So we went from the left side, all the way to Kuwait. Then back to left side, just to come back again. We ended up going through Highway of Death 3 times.

We stayed on the move, 0-5 day camp spots, mostly less then 2 days. For over 3 months.
      Here is a picture of me in one of the many fox holes I dug each time we stopped:
      motherjones.com/wp-content/uploads/19910201_zaa_p138_003.jpg
      I am the one on right with a unloaded m60, with only one leg on the bypod down. And a tank of Iraqi Blood agent in background to the left.

The post was edited 1 time, last by NashBean ().