On Suggesting Paratroopers

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• On Suggesting Paratroopers

PLEASE!!!

If you wish to suggest paratroopers, DO NOT create a new thread for them, just browse a bit down and add to an existing one. You might also want to read up a bit in those on the discussions which have already taken place, instead of making a semi-new suggestion yourself.

Currently, the most recent one is here:
      Paratroopers

but there are many, many, many more.

THANK YOU!!!
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • There are going to be new "paratrooper" threads until a new airborne infantry regiment is finally added to the game.

And the new airborne unit needs to be a viable combat unit ---- not an emasculated unit that is weaker than every other unit on the board, that disappears after five days (or whatever), that cannot capture provinces like every other ground unit in the game, or that otherwise includes some form of "poison pill" that makes it worthless.

I find it remarkable that several players who believe that the ridiculously over-powered commando battalion is a perfectly acceptable addition to the game ---- which is twice as strong as an ordinary infantry regiment, even though it is half the size in terms of personnel ---- also believe that having an airborne infantry regiment is somehow going to wreck or otherwise "unbalance" the game.

Honestly, people, I have never seen more ridiculous, more hysterical, more hypocritical, and more misleading reactions to any proposed game change than I have to the proposed addition of "paratroopers." In the mean time, we have historical anachronisms and fantasy units like 30-knot cargo ships/assault ships, 40-knot nuclear battleships, 45-knot nuclear aircraft carriers, 1944-55 rockets capable of delivering 5-ton nuclear warheads, rocket fighters that are 50% stronger than first-generation jet fighters and have unlimited patrol time, because . . . well, those units are "cool" and some players might be upset if they were removed or even reduced to a level of fighting strength that was remotely within the realm of reality. Not to mention the whole concept of "crates" of secret weapon design plans being regularly air-dropped into enemy territory by our incompetent air forces. So, even as we add more fantasy units to the game, a rump of vocal opponents resist adding a unit that actually did exist in 1939-45 and actually did play a major role in several of the most important campaigns on the western front. . . .

So, why should any of us be shocked, surprised or irritated that players and forum participants continue to request the addition of "paratroopers?" It was one of the first new unit types requested in forum discussions, probably the single-most requested new unit type to date, and it remains the most glaring omission from the list of existing in-game units.

This change is going to come eventually, because short of adding spaceships, suicide-bomber hamsters, sharks with laser beams, and genetically-engineered dragons, Bytro is quickly running out of "new" unit types to add.
    • oh sharks would be cool, when stacked with naval units they could add 10% damage modifier as anyone blasted overboard would be eaten and unable to be rescued. LOL :)
      Great idea Montana
      "A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week." - General George S. Patton, Jr.

"Do, or do not. There is no try" - Yoda
    • NukeRaider33 wrote:

Armatus wrote:

Creating thread to add genetically-engineered dragons....now
      While we are at it, why don't we add a death star?

well I don't want to destroy the whole planet since my goal is world domination, but I will settle for a death tower that takes out cities in a single shot.

"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war"

"The best weapon against an enemy is another enemy."Friedrich Nietzsche
    • Armatus wrote:

NukeRaider33 wrote:

Armatus wrote:

Creating thread to add genetically-engineered dragons....now
      While we are at it, why don't we add a death star?
      well I don't want to destroy the whole planet since my goal is world domination, but I will settle for a death tower that takes out cities in a single shot.
      fire with single reactor
      Forum Gang Mascot
      Girls game too

dxcalc.com/cow
    • We need paratroopers. I don't care if it's just an addition that made it that Commandos could be carried via Strategic Bomber to a location and then the plane fly back or what, but they need to be in the game.
      “Lord, make me an instrument of your peace; where there is hatred, let me sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where there is doubt, faith; where there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; and where there is sadness, joy.”

~St. Francis of Assisi
    • You know how annoying that would be if one guy just spammed the paratroopers as his only unit to attac. Not to mention you would have to leave some type of defense to defend key points and provinces in case of a random paratrooper drop. Secondly paratroops would die left in right to hand of AA and interceptors on patrol thats why it wasn't used to often as it use lots of supplies and to many men.

The post was edited 1 time, last by VorlonFCW: swearing ().

• Alright, I am going to necro this thread, I really want paratroopers in the game. Sure, I could go play Conflict of Nations, but none of my friends play that, we all play CoW. So, I have a suggestion for you guys, go play Conflict of Nations, unlock Airborne and get an idea of how those work. Then, with some adjustments to their code, add them to CoW. Paratroopers in CoN have to board and deploy for about an hour I believe, that is pretty fair and also, they can still be attacked while deploying and have the chance to be destroyed. I mean honestly, wth, why do we have nuclear battleships and not paratroopers? They also require Airfield Lvl 2, Army Base (Barracks) Lvl 3 I believe to be mobilized. They also have ranges that they can be deployed, I mean sure, You could 'Spam' Airborne but that is called an invasion, It is easy to kill Airborne. All you have to do is have Militia defending your provinces as you should already have, those could kill the Airborne as they are deploying. If those Militia Fail, then they have to deal with the Paratroopers as ground units.
      "ANU! CHEEKI BREEKI IV DAMKE!"

The post was edited 1 time, last by JCS Darragh ().

• Freshmemes wrote:

Not to mention you would have to leave some type of defense to defend key points and provinces in case of a random paratrooper drop.
      imo: That would actually be a good thing about adding paratroopers, as players wold need to consider strategic points that would be guarded IRL, and cut down on the size of some of the doom stacks often seen trudging across the map.
      "A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week." - General George S. Patton, Jr.

"Do, or do not. There is no try" - Yoda
    • Lawrence Czl wrote:

Paratroopers would imbalance the game in favor of the person who could spawn more paratroopers.
      Asked and answered, LC. My advocacy of adding paratroopers is strictly conditioned on their numbers being limited in each country's army. We can argue about the exact numbers, but certainly no more than six to nine paratrooper regiments per country. The two biggest airborne operations of the war (Overlord/Neptune/Tonga and Market Garden) involved two American airborne divisions and one British, for a total of three divisions, and that required most of the entire available air transport capacity of the Allies in the European theater. The typical WW2 infantry division included three infantry regiments, hence my suggestion of limiting the numbers in any single army to a maximum of 6 to 9 regiments.

Limited numbers, properly designed in-game unit, including high costs of production and maintenance, combined with realistically limited range. Without a properly designed airborne unit, Call of War is simply missing one of the most technologically and tactically innovative troop types of the war.
    • OH I have another thing to say, I saw several people talking about 'unbalancing the game' the units should be imbalanced that is how war works. German tanks should be better than Russian tanks, Russian Tanks should be better than American Tanks, etc. Things should be better, if a player has a crap ton of Heavy Tanks, Infantry should lose very fast. Things should be imbalanced but not imbalanced to the point of unplayable. Get what I am saying? Paratroopers would cause players to think outside the box. CoW gets very predictable after a little while, throw in Paratroopers and it should become different, at least for a while. I'd say let the players test Airborne for about a month, if it works and players like it, then keep them, if they don't, remove them. The developers have plenty of material to take from this forum, they should be able to make a decent airborne unit with a unit cap. That is my opinion on this.
      "ANU! CHEEKI BREEKI IV DAMKE!"
    • This change is going to come eventually, because short of adding spaceships, suicide-bomber hamsters, sharks with laser beams, and genetically-engineered dragons, Bytro is quickly running out of "new" unit types to add.

I like the idea of adding spaceships ect UFO's as they were actually spotted by the allies and axis forces.
      Perhaps they could be the AI invading paratrooper forces of earth ?
    • KoalaArmy wrote:

This change is going to come eventually, because short of adding spaceships, suicide-bomber hamsters, sharks with laser beams, and genetically-engineered dragons, Bytro is quickly running out of "new" unit types to add.

I like the idea of adding spaceships ect UFO's as they were actually spotted by the allies and axis forces.
      Perhaps they could be the AI invading paratrooper forces of earth ?
      1. Freezy already wrote that stuff down (supposedly).
      2. The names of the UFO projects wouldn't happen to be Rundflugzeug, Feuerball, Diskus, Haunebu, Hauneburg-Gerät, V7, Vril, Kugelblitz, Andromeda-Gerät, Flugkreisel, Kugelwaffe, and Reichsflugscheibe would they?
      Forum Gang Mascot
      Girls game too

dxcalc.com/cow