Railroad Guns, have they become OP?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Railroad Guns, have they become OP?

I hit an interesting situation where an opposing coalition built railroad guns and piled them full of AA with interceptors overhead. The stack quickly became a bulldozer plowing through everything you threw at it. It didn't help that I was Southern US and had to transport across the ocean to tackle the problem. Just curious if others are having similar problems against these. If they are the new OP unit, perhaps they could be limited to only moving in provinces with level 3 infrastructure. This would at least keep them out of backwater provinces without an existing rail system heavy enough to support them. I even hit them with level 2 rockets only to kill a couple supporting caste members but di little against the guns themselves.
      "A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week." - General George S. Patton, Jr.

"Do, or do not. There is no try" - Yoda
    • I have noticed that railroad guns can still outrun rockets, even at their turtle speed.

I think the trick if they have "porcupine" stacks like that is to scatter and swarm around behind them taking provinces. Make them bring the fight to each and every little army group you have. They will have to split their stack up to chase you.

Bring plenty of Anti Air yourself, as they seem to like planes and probably plan to mop you up with tac bombers if you get behind their line.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • Since I am 7 or 8 research slots away from nuke rockets, that is not an option. I thought about it.

Yes DxC at least two people are using RG's, quite effectively I might add. Stacked with the right supporting cast of characters they are quiet effective too.
      "A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week." - General George S. Patton, Jr.

• Peter Mat wrote:

Yes DxC at least two people are using RG's, quite effectively I might add. Stacked with the right supporting cast of characters they are quiet effective too.
      It was a matter of time until someone realized that railroad guns were not brittle targets for tactical bombers if you stacked several RRGs together with an adequate protective force of anti-aircraft units and other damage soakers. RRGs are no different than regular artillery, except they've got better range and they move more slowly.
    • Basically this. I sometimes use them, depending on what nation I have (in regard to terrain and resources). Their antiship capabilities have been buffed as well, but I recently experienced it still takes way too long to kill a ship with them. Still, better than nothing. What I do, is attach a single armored car along as well. The attack range is greater than their view range, so the AC can help see some targets earlier and have the RRG fire away. Very good to cover multiple provinces that have access to sea, so you can immediately do something about those pesky 'invisible' disembarkers.
    • Someone told me a few months ago that Railroad guns will attack targets, even if they are not in visual range. While we are on the subject can anyone confirm or deny?
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • VorlonFCW wrote:

Someone told me a few months ago that Railroad guns will attack targets, even if they are not in visual range.
      It depends on what you mean by "visual range", there is 1. clear view, 2. fog view and 3. old ghost intel. I actually started writing a post yesterday about a rrg not "firing at will" on a target in aerial patrol view (see image). Here a target spotted by a plane is within firing range of the rrg but the rrg isn't auto firing, even after game reload. I assume this is true for artillery as well. After I manually started firing, if I moved the rrg and stopped, it would continue firing. But if I moved the plane so the target was an old intel ghost then moved and stopped rrg, it did not auto fire. I also did some experiments where target was in fog view of my other units. Here I believe the rrg would start refiring after start/stop (But this was after it had already been firing. I assume it would also initiate an initial attack attack in this scenario but need to verify). In general, I think range units will "fire at will" (even initiate a first strike) if a target is within current fog view of any land unit, but this needs verified. They probably won't auto fire on old ghost intel visible on the map, and won't automatically initiate an attack on a target that is only in aerial patrol view.
    • miech wrote:

Basically this. I sometimes use them, depending on what nation I have (in regard to terrain and resources). Their antiship capabilities have been buffed as well, but I recently experienced it still takes way too long to kill a ship with them. Still, better than nothing. What I do, is attach a single armored car along as well. The attack range is greater than their view range, so the AC can help see some targets earlier and have the RRG fire away. Very good to cover multiple provinces that have access to sea, so you can immediately do something about those pesky 'invisible' disembarkers.

This reminds me of my request a long time ago...that I'd love to see a new structure (or add to the Fortress) to act as an observation post to extend site range like a non-moving scout. And, whether a new structure or just added to the Fortress, higher levels could have wider viewing ranges.
      It seemed like such a waste to destroy an entire battle station just to eliminate one man. But Charlie knew that it was the only way to ensure the absolute and total destruction of Quasi-duck, once and for all.

The saying, "beating them into submission until payday", is just golden...pun intended.

R.I.P. Snickers <3
    • DxC wrote:

It depends on what you mean by "visual range", there is 1. clear view, 2. fog view and 3. old ghost intel. I actually started writing a post yesterday about a rrg not "firing at will" on a target in aerial patrol view (see image). Here a target spotted by a plane is within firing range of the rrg but the rrg isn't auto firing, even after game reload. I assume this is true for artillery as well. After I manually started firing, if I moved the rrg and stopped, it would continue firing. But if I moved the plane so the target was an old intel ghost then moved and stopped rrg, it did not auto fire. I also did some experiments where target was in fog view of my other units. Here I believe the rrg would start refiring after start/stop (But this was after it had already been firing. I assume it would also initiate an initial attack attack in this scenario but need to verify). In general, I think range units will "fire at will" (even initiate a first strike) if a target is within current fog view of any land unit, but this needs verified. They probably won't auto fire on old ghost intel visible on the map, and won't automatically initiate an attack on a target that is only in aerial patrol view.
      Although that sounded like one really really really long sentence, you make a good point. And, it reminded me of something I saw just today....a ghost artillery that keeps firing on an empty target. Though I assume the ghost isn't actually firing anymore, Will an artillery keep firing at a ghost once it's been destroyed?

Maybe what we REALLY need is a call to the Ghostbusters. At least, assuming this is not a glitch, but representing bad/outdated intel, it could use some refinement.
      It seemed like such a waste to destroy an entire battle station just to eliminate one man. But Charlie knew that it was the only way to ensure the absolute and total destruction of Quasi-duck, once and for all.

The saying, "beating them into submission until payday", is just golden...pun intended.

R.I.P. Snickers <3
    • When the destroyed target was on the dot and you specifically attacked it, arty will keep firing after the unit is destroyed. After all, the target is the province, and there may be buildings you want to destroy.
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • That's true, but I guess I was meaning for non-control-point attacks....on ghosts in the field.

R.I.P. Snickers <3
    • I had one last week where a cruiser and sub stack was bombarding a coastal city and I returned fire with land artillery. The RRG destroyed the cruiser and stopped firing, but the regular artillery continued to fire on the subs even though I could not see them.

• Diabolical wrote:

miech wrote:

Basically this. I sometimes use them, depending on what nation I have (in regard to terrain and resources). Their antiship capabilities have been buffed as well, but I recently experienced it still takes way too long to kill a ship with them. Still, better than nothing. What I do, is attach a single armored car along as well. The attack range is greater than their view range, so the AC can help see some targets earlier and have the RRG fire away. Very good to cover multiple provinces that have access to sea, so you can immediately do something about those pesky 'invisible' disembarkers.
      This reminds me of my request a long time ago...that I'd love to see a new structure (or add to the Fortress) to act as an observation post to extend site range like a non-moving scout. And, whether a new structure or just added to the Fortress, higher levels could have wider viewing ranges.
      Basically a radar outpost. Could work very well. Should be around the cost of an armored car, give or take. Good idea.
    • Wow, you think it should cost oil?

<<Sorry guys, that was a very poor joke>>
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.