Does the distance at which units fight matter?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Does the distance at which units fight matter?

Usually, let's say I have an infantery 5/10 minutes away from a province with an enemy infantery. Either I can let my infantery walk casually there, in which case the combat takes place at 0km.

On the opposite example, I can also force march my infantery to "jump" to the enemy infantery. In this case, the combat will happen at 0-5km.

So does this make a difference in the overall result of the fight?
    • darksoul111 wrote:

Nope

Browser games are an ingenious business idea to lure out money ..
      ..... >> more or less cleverly camouflaged as a real game <<
      .... .. so beware of caltrops, spring-guns and booby traps. :00008185:
      Warning! Texts above this signature may contain traces of irony! :D

The post was edited 1 time, last by Restrisiko ().

• darksoul111 wrote:

Usually, let's say I have an infantery 5/10 minutes away from a province with an enemy infantery. Either I can let my infantery walk casually there, in which case the combat takes place at 0km.

On the opposite example, I can also force march my infantery to "jump" to the enemy infantery. In this case, the combat will happen at 0-5km.

LOL. Land combat always occurs at 0 Kph and there's no "distance" factor in land combat. Your question can only be interpreted as, "is it better to fight [a few minutes] earlier than later?" Generally, "no". Only day-change, the location of boundries, the need to lock units in battle for some reason, and a few other situations would it matter.
    • I Patton wrote:

LOL. Land combat always occurs at 0 Kph and there's no "distance" factor in land combat.
      That's where you're wrong. If you force march your unit as a jump to a city, occupied by an enemy garrison, you will fight, which will cause the two units to not be on the complete same location while fighting, more like 3min march away.

If you also look on @DxC 's calculator, you will see that you have a choice distance wise : 0km, or 1,2,3 km... which is where my question comes from.
    • Lawrence Czl wrote:

As Patton said, infantry type units have no range. They always fights at 0 km.
      I'm sorry if my answer wasn't quite clear.

I said "land combat occurs at 0 kph" (kilometers per hour) speed; not "km" (kilometers) distance. At that split second it's recognized one is within melee distance, there's no apparent recognition of the speed one was traveling up to "contact" for the purposes of *combat results*.

I also said "there's no distance factor *in combat*" = melee combat results don't appear to matter if one lets their troops casually walk into melee engagement (the 5 km freezy mentioned) or "jump" that last bit of distance (ie. by clicking a town at the last moment of movement toward the town).
    • That "jump to" combat that seems to be triggered by using the Force March really is only forcing an update with the server. If your unit is within 5 km, like Freezy said, you can engage in combat. By refreshing the "action" by dragging the unit forward with your mouse or by hitting Force March (or disengaging Force March if it already was happening) you will trigger that melee-at-distance combat.

Clicking "Attack" on that enemy will cause melee to happen. If you click the Stop button, and are within melee distance, you will trigger a battle even if you don't want one. If your unit is an Artillery and you try to Bombard the enemy and it is within 5 km, you'll trigger melee combat. Even if you drag the unit in the opposite direction, you will trigger melee combat. The point is, that given a new command (which all of the above is doing) no matter what that command is, the system will check to see if your unit is within melee range. If it is, your unit automatically engages in combat.
      It seemed like such a waste to destroy an entire battle station just to eliminate one man. But Charlie knew that it was the only way to ensure the absolute and total destruction of Quasi-duck, once and for all.

The saying, "beating them into submission until payday", is just golden...pun intended.

R.I.P. Snickers <3

The post was edited 1 time, last by Diabolical ().