Independent Servers

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Independent Servers

OK. So I've just had a brainfart that gave me this great idea. And this could make the game more interesting for everyone.

What if Bytro were to release a portable server version of the game? This server would be a file that you could set up on any computer with a dedicated high-speed connection. Then, the computer owner could create a single game with customized settings/rules and that game would then upload it's information to the Bytro servers as a match that can be played by anyone on the Call of War website. The computer owner would be responsible for internal admin of the match itself but the chat feature would still be directly controlled by Bytro volunteer staff.

Then, the game that is played on the portable server would free up some server space at Bytro (only having routing information to be controlled by Bytro) and the customization of the server by the user would entail special varieties of game play potentially unique to that server. Popular servers could be replicated on other systems as determined by Bytro.

I know this is just spitballing, but I think this could be a good opportunity to take advantage of my other idea for modding a customizable game set (my description of how this would work is posted here).
      It seemed like such a waste to destroy an entire battle station just to eliminate one man. But Charlie knew that it was the only way to ensure the absolute and total destruction of Quasi-duck, once and for all.

The saying, "beating them into submission until payday", is just golden...pun intended.

R.I.P. Snickers <3
    • Lol, if you'll get any Bytroanswer at all on this it will likely be negative. There's no apparent advantage for them, it's technically complicated, and is simply asking for all kinds of hacks, security issues, synchronization problems, decompiler usage, etc etc.
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • Hi Diabolical, that's an interesting suggestion, but I really see no way how it could work out - especially if you combine Bytro servers (e.g. for chat, website, ranking etc.) with your own server. The underlying infrastructure seems way too complex and intertwined for such an endeavor.
      Felix / Alkyonor
      Community Manager
      Bytro Labs GmbH
    • Well, the ideas just roll off me like beads of sweat at a chili cookoff. Sometimes they're good, sometimes, they aren't. But you gotta throw your ideas on the wall and see what sticks, you know? Maybe someday the structure of the game will get rewritten (CoW 2.0, for example) such that this and other ideas become a real possibility.
      It seemed like such a waste to destroy an entire battle station just to eliminate one man. But Charlie knew that it was the only way to ensure the absolute and total destruction of Quasi-duck, once and for all.

The saying, "beating them into submission until payday", is just golden...pun intended.

R.I.P. Snickers <3
    • Diabolical wrote:

Well, the ideas just roll off me like beads of sweat at a chili cookoff. Sometimes they're good, sometimes, they aren't.
      For those of us who have actually participated in a chili cook-off, I can tell you that the secret is to use a whole fifth of Madeira wine per 10 gallons of finished product. All of my Texas friends say it gives my chili a certain je ne sais quoi.

Bottoms up, y'all.